PDA

View Full Version : Geoff (or Jeff) Hatton - flying saucer

tonybroad - n/a
26-Jan-06, 08:04 AM
Someone has telephoned me about an article they read in the Sun newsparer regarding a veteran hoverclub member Geoff Hatton who has apparently created a flying saucer.

I thought it would be a good feature for the magazine whatever the case, i was told he lives/lived in the Peterborough area

if anyone could give me any details that would be great

thanks in advance

Tony

Keith Oakley - n/a
26-Jan-06, 03:09 PM
Is that the Hatton of Hatton & Bass who built small hovercraft in the late 60's? One of which I seem to remember was a round design (around 5 feet across with a 5bhp? engine propelled and steered by leaning to tip it)intended for use on a flat tarmac dodgem car like track at fairgrounds.

Or then again.......

BIGRACING - n/a
27-Jan-06, 05:56 AM
...intended for use on a flat tarmac dodgem car like track at fairgrounds...

You mean like this;

index.php?t=getfile&id=20&private=0

A single seater, stripped. Its shell can be seen in the background. This model was called "The Flying Saucer."

An early use for a similar single-seater (but not self-propelled, being inflated by blowers below the deck) was a ride at Disneyland in Anaheim, California.

index.php?t=getfile&id=21&private=0

I got these pictures from an artical that was recently posted on our US forum by Terry Chapman. Click this link to read the full strory:

Melville Whitnel Beardsley, American Inventor of the Air-Cushion Vehicle (www.geneabase.com/ACV/acv.htm).

Sorry if I digress a bit from the original post, but this Beardsley sure had a very interesting life story. I especially like his magic-carpet-ride, "The Flying Carpet" hovercraft!

Keith Oakley - n/a
27-Jan-06, 07:37 AM
Yes similar but the Hatton & Bass machines were self powered not fed with air from pinholes in the 'tarmac'. I seem to remember them being used in Jersey, Channel Isles. The Museum will undoubtedly have more info, but it's probably irrelevant anyway.