PDA

View Full Version : Magazine News

tonybroad - n/a
30-Jan-06, 11:25 AM
<font color="purple">An idea was recently suggested to address the problem of the magazine arriving late in the month of issue, we're well aware of problems this can cause with calendar sensitive issues in particular

so what we've done is to drop Feb magazine (in name only) (don't worry you'll still get 12 mags a year)so March 06 will arrive towards the end of February and so on which is in-line with most monthly publications.

The other option was to put out two magazines in one month which had issues with printing costs and also getting 2 months worth of material to go in the magazine, we struggle to get enough for one edition most times, that's why it's often late !

It also means that race organisers etc. will need to have their calendar sensitive info to us at least 6 weeks prior to the month of release

I welcome your comments on this [/COLOR]

Tony Broad - Deputy Editor Light hovercraft Magazine

Sean Atterbury - n/a
30-Jan-06, 11:48 AM
http://hovercraft.org.uk/images/icons/smiley_icons/icon_redface.gif If you are ever in desperate need to get the mag out, send it to me, shure I am in South Africa, but the family has a printers and will gladley stop everything just to get the mag out in time.

Not that you would, but at least I have offered my services anyway.

http://hovercraft.org.uk/images/icons/smiley_icons/icon_razz.gif feelin kinda good now.

Nick Long - n/a
30-Jan-06, 11:50 AM
Tony,

If I understand this right, you are not missing an issue, just advancing the names they go under.

So next one out will be called March and the copy deadline is about now? I have a small snippet to send you if you have room.

Nick

tonybroad - n/a
30-Jan-06, 02:43 PM
Hi Nick

the next one will be March magazine and recently went to the printers the deadline was 15th of this month (Jan) - so your welcomed snippet would now appear in Aprils' magazine, please send it to the usual address magazine&#64;hovercraft.org.uk

another suggestion was to maybe have a space on this board for people to leave stuff for the magazine - good idea/bad idea ?

Tony

Nick Long - n/a
30-Jan-06, 03:05 PM
Hi Tony,

I appreciate the difficulties and I know I'm lethargic, but one would have to be seriously on the ball to get the magazine on the 20th and respond to something in it in time for the next month's deadline on the 15th.

Nick

tonybroad - n/a
30-Jan-06, 05:28 PM
Consider the ideal to be six weeks to give time to do the mag - submission to the printers was usually towards the end of the month, give a 2-3 week lead time for printing and distribution and you see why the mag was often late, stop press could happen towards the end of the month now i suppose but push that and we'll be back into a late scenario again

anyhow - are you racing this year - how's the knee ?

Tony

jar2 - n/a
30-Jan-06, 05:51 PM
I know this is probably a bit radical but why not just publish the mag in a members-only area on this site. Looking at the club treasurers report that would save about 4.5K per year (assuming no-one is going to advertise in the web version). It would also be as near to instant as you can get!

The only real agrument I can see against it is that some people don't have Internet access but there can't be that many nowadays - you could always send a photocopy to them.

The other argument that we don't have a members only area can be easily fixed by spending some money (the 4.5K saved in the first year?) to add one http://hovercraft.org.uk/images/icons/smiley_icons/icon_smile.gif

andycollins - n/a
30-Jan-06, 06:11 PM
<table border="0" align="center" width="90%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td class="SmallText">Quote:</td></tr><tr><td class="quote">
why not just publish the mag in a members-only area on this site.
</td></tr></table>

One reason I can think of is people, myself included, like the paper one.

Cheers.

Andy.

jar2 - n/a
30-Jan-06, 06:40 PM
Fair point, Andy

However, just think of the possibilities - the mag could include video clips, recorded interviews, and nice colour pics. Much more 21st century and environmentally friendly than reading it on a bit of mashed up tree http://hovercraft.org.uk/images/icons/smiley_icons/icon_smile.gif

Nick Long - n/a
30-Jan-06, 09:11 PM
It is nice to get a paper one, but it clearly is not going to be as up to date as a purely on-line one could be. That's a problem if the magazine is seen as the only way of communicating with members. Maybe the answer is a policy decision to make official what happens in practice, and use the magazine only for stuff that isn't time critical and the website for time critical material. Accept that they are complementary and then tailor each to its purpose. Andy has been doing a lot of really good work lately to make the website serve the club better, but that still leaves a role for the magazine.

What this does require though, is that all club members are expected to visit the website, or at least be on email. Then the magazine can focus on feaure articles, reviews and discussions and the website on news and announcements.

Nick

srn4 - n/a
30-Jan-06, 10:09 PM
Would it be possible to have a membership fee and then pay extra for the magazine? why not have a "paper magazine subscription" at one price for those who want the real thing, and a price for a "digital copy" for those who would rather have an electronic copy..save paper and money for the club?

Just an idea..

Dunc

Nick Long - n/a
30-Jan-06, 11:43 PM
I would caution against charging separately for the magazine, simply because I have seen an organisation all but go under after starting down that route. Magazine is big cost, say accountants, it must pay for itself or go. A quarter of the membership decide to pay for it, so they have to pay 4 times as much as before.

Accountants are happy, but 25% of membership is pissed off because they are being asked a silly price for magazine; 75% start wondering what the club is doing for them because they never hear anything. Advertisers stop advertising. Authors can't be arsed to write for 25% of membership.

As for digital distribution, I believe that has been/is being looked at.

Nick

Sean Atterbury - n/a
31-Jan-06, 04:23 AM
I have to jump in, this is true what you say about cost, in the printing industry it works like this.

THE MORE YOU TAKE THE LESS YOU PAY PER UNIT.

So if only a quater of the members want, then they might as well be paying for a full print, the difference is going to be minimal, but if you print for the whole club then it will be much more cost effective.

I like the idea of the web posting as well but that could work as a photo or video referance to the story in the mag. Keepin gthe mag in B&W does also reduce the cost but we all love a bit of colour in our lives now don't we.

team black - n/a
31-Jan-06, 06:03 PM
Would it be possible to have a membership fee and then pay extra for the magazine? why not have a "paper magazine subscription" at one price for those who want the real thing, and a price for a "digital copy" for those who would rather have an electronic copy..save paper and money for the club?

Just an idea..

Dunc

Certainly not- my bog isn't networked http://hovercraft.org.uk/images/icons/smiley_icons/icon_cool.gif

tonybroad - n/a
1-Feb-06, 08:46 AM
Ewan

I believe most of the printing cost comes in the setting up of the presses etc and that the paper and delivery are a fraction of the total cost, reducing the paper magazine numbers would make it less cost effective as the setup costs are the same for 400 magazines as they are for 1

I like a paper one anyway, i spend enough time gawping at a computer screen - oops here i am again, gawping at a computer screen

Anne Scrimshaw - n/a
5-Feb-06, 05:13 PM
<font color="darkblue">One of the things we have been looking at is a digital version. Not to replace a paper one – we’re not ready for that, but just as a added bonus to anyone who wanted it.

We have trialled it and it all works fine and dandy. However the main sticking point at the moment is knowing who is a member – This I know this sounds a bit petty, but the principal of the magazine is that it is a service we provide to members. At the moment on the list of things to do – but not top priority – is to rejig the membership database to make it even more funky and interactive than it is, and to integrate it into the electronic lapscoring system. Once that happens we will be able to offer an electronic version of the magazine as well as the paper one.[/COLOR]

hover t - n/a
5-Feb-06, 07:15 PM
Hi all

Why not have a mag every 2 months,this would reduce printing costs,give the editor more time to fill the mag.

All hover dates would have to be printed,if some facts were unknown about the dates, a hotline phone no with a recorded message could be set up to keep everyone informed http://hovercraft.org.uk/images/icons/smiley_icons/icon_rolleyes.gif

all the best

Trev B