PDA

View Full Version : H belt tighness

mick - n/a
2-Feb-06, 05:59 PM
is their a remconmended way of checking to see if the belt is at the right tention please.

andycollins - n/a
2-Feb-06, 06:17 PM
The general feeling is that is you can twist the belt through about 45 degrees, that's about right. 90deg is too slack.

It's not an exact science though as adjusting the tension with any level of precision can be tricky. In practice the twist it method is good enough.

Cheers.

Andy.

team black - n/a
2-Feb-06, 07:31 PM
Congratulations Andy- you're a member!!!

andycollins - n/a
2-Feb-06, 08:39 PM
You're not the first to point that out and I doubt you'll be the last but I think you're the first to have the proof. http://hovercraft.org.uk/images/icons/smiley_icons/icon_smile.gif

Cheers.

Andy.

Sean Atterbury - n/a
3-Feb-06, 05:41 AM
Jip, 45 is about what I get too and the belt runns fine, for your own good maybe only have a flang on one pulley, I have on both and its a mission impossible getting the damb belt on to start with.

Just a little tip.

andycollins - n/a
3-Feb-06, 07:51 AM
That's a good point about flanges that I hadn't considered.

Over here (UK) it's very unusual to see a craft with flanged pulley on the top, fan, end. I can't remember the last one I saw. We just run with flanges on the bottom one.

Cheers.

Andy.

team black - n/a
3-Feb-06, 08:05 AM
is their a remconmended way of checking to see if the belt is at the right tention please.

I usually tune it to the E 2 octaves below middle C, so it sounds like the bass at the start of Black Dog by Led Zepplin- not takin the P- it's true!

Nick Long - n/a
3-Feb-06, 09:01 AM
Ignore him, he's just trying to be a member.

Seriously, though, all these methods need adjusting for the length of the belt - longer belts will want a lower note. On a toothed belt of the sort of lenght to width ratios we use it is not that critical.

Nick

Sean Atterbury - n/a
3-Feb-06, 12:04 PM
That's right, I wanted it perfect from the get go, so sent a detailed diagram to the guys who make the pulleys and they sent back the right size and number of teath to give the propper ratio and that there is no need for adjustment on the belt. Now all is do is replace the belt when it breaks or I do not feel safe. Doing it through the propper people has saved me a mountain of trouble and money.

Ask anyone, I have learnt the hard way.

team black - n/a
3-Feb-06, 12:42 PM
It's TRUE. Just about all normal race craft can be tuned to E, unless you're using really long distances between the pulleys