PDA

View Full Version : Its cold and I have to paint!!!

srn4 - n/a
11-Feb-06, 09:44 AM
Ok, got a serious problem!

I have to paint my craft sometime in the next 2 weeks for it to be compelted on time. However, the paint needs atleast 5 degrees celcius for about 24 hours or 10 degrees celcius for 12 hours.

However, I cant seem to get my garage above about 2 degrees over night... Anyone got any brilliant ideas?

[the garage is an underground bunker style scum hole with a large steel door]

Alternativeley I would take the craft somewhere to be painted but I cant find anywhere suitable locally, any ideas?

Thanks.

Dunc

team black - n/a
11-Feb-06, 05:25 PM
Buy a good respirator and some 2-pack

Ian Brooks - n/a
12-Feb-06, 06:57 PM
Is there a problem if the paint takes longer to cure? You could just paint it and leave it for a week.

Have you tried a fan heater? I'd be surprised it you couldn't get it up to 10 degrees in the day, then it's just a case of making sure no-one sees the meter whizzing round all day!!!

Ian

simonollman - n/a
12-Feb-06, 08:39 PM
is it the curing or the blooming?

if blooming you can use a bit of anti bloom thinners added to the paint,

or is that just for 2 pac?

srn4 - n/a
12-Feb-06, 09:56 PM
What is "blooming"?

I am concerned because I read the datasheet for my paint and it says that the matereial needs to be atleast 5 degrees C...

I have attached the datasheet. If anyone can understand things better than me, any input you have would be highly valued!

Thanks.

lazza - n/a
13-Feb-06, 03:13 AM
Perhaps if you sand alot faster you will also cause the air around you to heat up http://hovercraft.org.uk/images/icons/smiley_icons/icon_lol.gif

srn4 - n/a
13-Feb-06, 07:54 AM
http://hovercraft.org.uk/images/icons/smiley_icons/icon_redface.gif http://hovercraft.org.uk/images/icons/smiley_icons/icon_evil.gif

simonollman - n/a
14-Feb-06, 08:59 PM
BLOOMING

It's sort of like when you've just sprayed something and then breathe on it giving a dulled patch that disapears, well blooming looks like that but it dosent disapear. I dont know if you need to even worry about it, i've been caught out with it after spraying when its too cold.

srn4 - n/a
18-Feb-06, 03:33 PM
So do you recon I can use that paint in the temperatures we are experiencing now or should I try and get the temp up?

Thanks.

Dunc

simonollman - n/a
18-Feb-06, 05:12 PM
I would do as instructed by the data sheet and then that way you know your right, failing that your taking a risk I’m no ex-Burt but if I was doing it I would either bite the bullet and take it to a place you can hire a spray room, and do a puka job or just go for it and try my best to get the temp up and pick a sunny day and paint it at 11 o’clock so you have the heat of the day and with out the damp air of the evening.

Hope that helps you. Good luck!

srn4 - n/a
19-Feb-06, 12:41 PM
Im going to go ask the local body shops if they will do the spraying for me, just so I can get it done!

Does anyone have any idea what kinda money I should be looking at spending? All I want them to do is spray the hover with the paint which I will provide...It will have 2 coats and should not need sanding between coats!

Thanks.

Dunc