PDA

View Full Version : Building the legend

srn4 - n/a
24-Feb-06, 01:16 PM
Here are some photos from my collection showing the building of the hoverport at Pegwell bay, Ramsgate. [images have been resized and compressed by a huge amount so please excuse the poor quality!]

(Incidentally, if anyone has any photos of the completed hoverport buildings, inside and out, please get in touch with me! oddly enough I dont have any)

These where taken by my grandfather.

Overview of hoverport model (I think we still have bits of this model in the attic somewhere http://hovercraft.org.uk/images/icons/smiley_icons/icon_confused.gif ....)

index.php?t=getfile&id=87&private=0

A closer shot. (the servicing area with the giant jacks is at the bottom of the photo)

index.php?t=getfile&id=88&private=0

Carparking and buildings. (Incidentally, the buildings never looked like this by quite a long way!)

index.php?t=getfile&id=89&private=0

srn4 - n/a
24-Feb-06, 01:22 PM
Some photos of the construction

Main building construction taken from the apron

index.php?t=getfile&id=84&private=0

Servicing area looking from main building towards the power station.

index.php?t=getfile&id=85&private=0

General shot of buidling work taken from main building looking towards Ramsgate harbour

index.php?t=getfile&id=86&private=0

Hope some of this has been of interest to you.

All the photos are the property of my family and can not be reproduced anywhere without prior permission!

srn4 - n/a
24-Feb-06, 02:07 PM
Things look very sad these days. The concrete apron is starting to crack up.

The only thing left is the bridge from the viking ship and, if you look closley, old landing lights set into the concrete apron.

These photos where taken at christmas this year, sorry they are so dark.

Guidance line on cracked concrete:

index.php?t=getfile&id=92&private=0

Cracked apron taken from the pile of rubble where main building once stood looking towards ramsgate

index.php?t=getfile&id=93&private=0

Another shot of the apron from main building looking pretty much straight across the apron out to sea.

index.php?t=getfile&id=94&private=0

richardevans - n/a
24-Feb-06, 04:11 PM
This aerial photo shows the outline of your model was spot on Dunc.

Richard E

index.php?t=getfile&id=95&private=0

Russ Pullen - n/a
24-Feb-06, 05:51 PM
We actually still regularly use the pad for hovering. tho you can't get in via the locked gates, we use pegwell bay all the time - have been since 1981.

<Rant Mode On>

But no. The idiot council are getting together with RSPB and wildlife geoups to ban anything whatsoever from using it. Wind surfers/kite boarders and especially hovers.

First 'discussion meeting' is this month. Theyve invited me as the hovercraft rep but whats the point in going? Theyve made thei rmind up alreday. can't be bothered to get stressed over it by attending.

Sick to detah of bloody twitchers and fishermen.

<Rant Mode Suspended>

Great pics tho - its totally desolate now and remembering it in its heyday is a bit sad.

Keith Oakley - n/a
24-Feb-06, 07:11 PM
Why don't you point out the beneficial effect your craft is having in feeding the birds? In the good old days the hovercraft track across the sand was always a popular spot for birds (and bait diggers) attracted by the worms etc that thought the tide had just come in and popped up to the suface....

srn4 - n/a
24-Feb-06, 09:53 PM
Richard, the outline of the buildings and ther position as shown on the model is not quite correct.

If you go and look at the site, the place where the bridge crosses from the viking ship is quite a distance away from the buildings, almost as if they were planning a second phase of extending the buildings....Im sure there is some paperwork somewhere which confirms this, its just a case of sifting through the half douzen tea chests containing bits of paper and mice droppings to find it...

I agree, it is sad that it has been left derilict with only a piddly little information plac with missleading information on it!

I was thinking when I was wondering around the hoveport at christmas that it would be nice to get that gate unlocked once a year for hovercraft to fly from the hoverport....But I think you might be right, birds and fish are far more important than the endeavours of our fellow men... http://hovercraft.org.uk/images/icons/smiley_icons/icon_confused.gif

I fail to see why birds and fish should be given priority over humans everywhere in the UK....We have the inteligence to give ourselves space to live at the same time as giving the birds space to live....dont we?

[sorry for the philosophical garble!]

hover_southwest - n/a
25-Feb-06, 01:48 AM
Russ

In short, please go to that meeting!

if we all put our point accross with the correct info, then surely someone has to listen. have never hovered around there but sure looks an interesting area!

http://hovercraft.org.uk/images/icons/smiley_icons/icon_rolleyes.gif

GavinParson - n/a
26-Feb-06, 08:37 AM
It's interesting though that we have been asked to help Ramsgate town CELEBRATE the 40th anniversary of the start of cross-channel hovercraft passenger services. Isn't it a bit daft to on one hand celebrate it and on the other hand prohibit further hovercrafting in Pegwell Bay?

Anyway, we've asked the Hovercraft Museum to bring down some historic craft and maybe some exhibition pieces, but if anyone has an SRN6 in their garage, especially the actual ones which operated from Ramsgate, please bring them down on July 1st & 2nd to the Coastal Race event.

Gavin

srn4 - n/a
26-Feb-06, 09:10 AM
On a similar note, if anyone has an SRN4 in their garage, feel free to bring that with you as well http://hovercraft.org.uk/images/icons/smiley_icons/icon_confused.gif

GavinParson - n/a
26-Feb-06, 03:51 PM
Yeah, but we all know where they are don't we http://hovercraft.org.uk/images/icons/smiley_icons/icon_rolleyes.gif

You could bring prints of those pics and the model if you do have it, that would be nice.

Gavin