PDA

View Full Version : What to use for heat sheilds?

srn4 - n/a
1-Mar-06, 08:21 AM
Morning all..Just a quick question.

What material do you recon is the best to use as exhaust heat shields?

richardevans - n/a
1-Mar-06, 08:34 AM
Stainless steel sheet.

No need to rust proof etc.

If you want the surface to be really cool (for passenger safety) use two separate layers rather than a single layer. The air flow between two sheets should keep the outer one extremely cool.

Richard E.

ChrisSearle - n/a
1-Mar-06, 10:39 AM
Exhaust wrap is quite good.

Chris

srn4 - n/a
1-Mar-06, 11:17 AM
I was thinking about wrapping the entire exhaust system inside the engine bay with wrap, but some people mentioned that it can cause the engine to overheat as it traps the exhaust heat near the heads....

What are peoples thoughts on using exhaust wrap? It would deffinately make life a lot easier!

ChrisSearle - n/a
1-Mar-06, 03:16 PM
My entire exhaust system is covered in the wrap and it hasn’t caused me any engine problems. Once the wrap was on I noticed a significant drop in the temperature surrounding the engine and exhaust.

The wrap that I use needs occasional maintenance, as eventually the heat seems to burn through and create the odd bare patch.

Chris.

srn4 - n/a
1-Mar-06, 09:07 PM
I might give it a try then.

What brand do you use and where do you get it?

Thanks.

Duncan

Michel - n/a
1-Mar-06, 10:15 PM
Beware !

about ten years ago , I' ve tried to wrap my exhaust pipe to reduce noise, it was very efficient for that purpose BUT:

water trapped did ' nt dry quickly enough and heat-moisture-cold-heat-water- moisture = RUST.

I got rust holes in my pipe ten times faster than a naked pipe.

M

srn4 - n/a
1-Mar-06, 10:25 PM
That was one of my conerns, but I thought the heat wrap would keep the moisture off...

Michel - n/a
1-Mar-06, 10:56 PM
May be if you use a grid at 1 inch apart from the pipe, and you wrap the grid, letting air flows between pipe and noise reducer . I hav' nt tried.

ChrisSearle - n/a
2-Mar-06, 08:04 AM
You should be able to get it from your local ‘boy racer ’ performance style shop or a choice of online suppliers. My exhaust system is stainless so no rust problems for me…

Chris.