PDA

View Full Version : Looking for British Hovercraft manufacturer

Vampyr - n/a
20-Mar-06, 01:07 AM
Yes I am looking for this British manufacturer, they built an unsual hovercraft in the fact it resembled a car the fans were concealed in the body downwards and the cockpit held two the air came out of metal tubes prutruding from the rear.

They built this craft in the 70's I saw this craft on the web but I can't for the life of me remember the name of this company would anyone knowon here I think it started with hover

Paul Fitz - n/a
20-Mar-06, 07:41 PM
I am not aware of any such commercial craft, although a British Kit car manufacturer (it may have been Eagle) produced 2 chassis/bodies for an american company which were used as hover-cars in a film (any film buffs remember it? - was it Blade Runner?)

another useless piece of information:-

The hover car driven by Luke Skywalker in the first Star wars film was built on a Bond Bug chassis. The wheels however were masked out on the film to make it look as though it hovered!!

Sorry can't help further.

Vampyr - n/a
20-Mar-06, 11:19 PM
Thanks Paul I know someone actually built a working landspeeder and another one or possibly the sameone was being sold on ebay.

Vampyr - n/a
4-May-06, 03:44 AM
Oh by the way found what I was looking for the hovercraft was actually a Hovvermarine(Canada) Sandpiper and it was built between the late 60's and early seventies

http://www.decastris.com/hcc/builders/sandpiper/sandpiper.ht (www.decastris.com/hcc/builders/sandpiper/sandpiper.htm) m

It looks very car like and with a few moderations I think this could really made hovercraft very accesible to the geeral public I would love to build a nd drive a craft similiar to this

Ithink this could also be a good basis for a landspeeder with some jet engines attached for extra forward propulsion