PDA

View Full Version : Is it all worth it???

charlietg - n/a
4-Apr-06, 08:37 PM
Hi,

Im a 21 year old female aerospace engineering student and have spent the past 6 months designing and building a hovercraft as part of my degree. There is supposedly 4 students in the group however only 3 have done any work, there has been minimal to no help given by the university, limited space, limited budget (1000) and no tools! We have finally managed to get the chassis painted and the engine in place, having spent no time on other modules and close to having a nervous breakdown. We now have a week left to finish it, test it and write a 50 page report on how it went, can anyone give us any encouragement to finish it?! Or would it be more useful as firewood?!

Regards,

Charlie,

P.s. Any positiveness as to if the craft will even work would be much appreciated!

P.s.s. This forum has kept us going and we really want to thank everyone for the information they share on it, cheers

srn4 - n/a
4-Apr-06, 09:11 PM
Cramped garage...Tiny budget...lack of help...no tools....student lifestyle.....sounds somewhat all too similar to my situation and I am just completing my second craft! so look on the bright side, there is atleast one other person out there just as crazy as yourselves http://hovercraft.org.uk/images/icons/smiley_icons/icon_biggrin.gif

Is it worth the stress and pain? YES!!!!! (Dont ask why...'cause I dont know!)

tonybroad - n/a
5-Apr-06, 08:02 AM
Having had many students involved with making hovercraft, i encourage them all to put it on their CV and plenty have told me it's the one thing the interviewer remembers, it stimulates questions because engineers are always curious

in a large pile of CV's yours will be remembered

hows that for a bit of motivation ? - you should have come to the University of Central Lancs - space, workshops, tools and lecturers who do give a damn

Tony (Engineering Lecturer)

team black - n/a
5-Apr-06, 08:28 AM
Sleep deprivation is an important part of student life- you will be enriched by the experience!! http://hovercraft.org.uk/images/icons/smiley_icons/icon_surprised.gif

jon_curtis - n/a
5-Apr-06, 11:37 AM
Hi,

Im a 21 year old female aerospace engineering student and have spent the past 6 months designing and building a hovercraft as part of my degree.

fancy going out for dinner? 21 year old female aerospace engineer! if thats not my ideal women no-one is lol!

finish it, there is nothing like the feeling of flying it around for the first time! thats the reward of building it!

where abouts in the country are you? there is bound to be people in the area that could help you get in flying for the first time!

what sorta craft is it? what engine is in there?

certainly do everything you can to get it going! not only for the reward of flying it for the first time, but also the credit for actually getting it working!

andycollins - n/a
5-Apr-06, 11:39 AM
Hi,

Firstly let's get the prelminaries out of the way... At some point, someone will say "There's always someone worse of than you". This Never helps but it won't stop them saying it.

Another saying that's more relevant is "Misery loves company" and that's the reason some of us are here. (Here speaks the man who's 2006 hull is still in the drum and on the roll).

It _is_ worth pointing out that most of us have been somewhere near that point and we've come through it (Feeling better yet? No? OK...). People like TonyB, NickL, and others too numerous to mention have built craft, decided they like it and despite the problems, built another and another. So there must be something that makes it worthwhile.

The problem is it's hard to explain what it is. When you get into a craft you've built, from the ground up, that's there because you've decided it should be there. When you start the thing up and head out across the field and onto the water, it will all be worth it.

Then you'll decide it's not fast enough and start all over again http://hovercraft.org.uk/images/icons/smiley_icons/icon_smile.gif

Stick with it, it will all come together and you can catch up on your sleep next week.

Cheers.

Andy.

charlietg - n/a
6-Apr-06, 01:54 PM
Thought id upload a picture of the hovercraft just to get your opinions (we know its not the best and there are lots of flaws with it, but lets just call that hindsight!)

Charlie x

index.php?t=getfile&id=184&private=0

richardevans - n/a
6-Apr-06, 02:31 PM
Hang on there lass, what happened to "limited space" ? That's reet luxury that is. When I were a lad we ad to build our hovercraft in t outside privvy, in blizzard, wi ammer and nails. Weather were so cold the petrol would freeze...

etc etc.

You just wait til you get onto water! Keep up the good work.

Richard E.

srn4 - n/a
6-Apr-06, 06:02 PM
Is that an ali or steel engine cradle and fan frame?

That thing looks pretty good http://hovercraft.org.uk/images/icons/smiley_icons/icon_biggrin.gif

Dunc

charlietg - n/a
6-Apr-06, 07:39 PM
You think itss good? really?! http://hovercraft.org.uk/images/icons/smiley_icons/icon_redface.gif im still worried about it though, especially the shape of it at the front!

Its a steel frame, but its been painted/ sprayed. There are some bits of it that are ali though. The picture was taking in the last week at the place it was being sprayed at, so we have only had that space for a week! and yes it was luxury!

Ian Brooks - n/a
6-Apr-06, 08:03 PM
That looks fantastic.

It was worth it... when you go to interview, it will be the most important thing you did. I have found that the graduate engineers who come with practical experience such as this hit the ground running, and I now give it a higher weighting in the interview than the academic stuff.

Ian

Sean Atterbury - n/a
7-Apr-06, 05:26 AM
Very nice, well done girls, you can be proud of that. http://hovercraft.org.uk/images/icons/smiley_icons/icon_biggrin.gif

Plus just think of how good the skirt is going to look, you dames are a lot better with the needle than us blokes, I am more the one to hide in a corner when it comes to outright looks, yours is beautiful.

Again Great job.

charlietg - n/a
10-Apr-06, 09:38 PM
Yay!!!

It hovered! Between the down pours we managed to get it up and running, looked stunning, just ashame we cant keep it now!!!

Thanks for everyones helpful advice, im so pleased it worked!

Charlie x

J Bucknall - n/a
11-Apr-06, 09:44 PM
Congratulations

its always great first time running up a new hover and seeing how well it works.

have you crashed it yet http://hovercraft.org.uk/images/icons/smiley_icons/icon_twisted.gif

I raced hovers before uni and i found the practicals skills gained very useful during and was advised (by a potential empolyer) to do a practical project that is hands on and get the skills and a 2:1 rather than a 1st.

so i did Formula student ended up working shifts in the workshop till 4am etc. and it was definately worth it.

now in grad program using more practical skills than theory. you forget theorey but it is alwase in a book, practical skills are in no books.

good luck with the rest of your degree

John B

Michel - n/a
12-Apr-06, 06:03 AM
Congratulations,

Now, you just have to join a demonstration or race event to learn how to drive it safely.

Find yourself a good friend to teach you on an old one very stable, even a twin engine, it could be a shame to present a master work with a band aid on the nose ( you or the craft )

And I count on you, girls , to give hovering a fashion way, like matching lifejacket and gear colours to craft.

See my girlfriend in action ( green and purple craft and gear )

[edited by Andy C. Picture too big.]

Hoverbat - n/a
15-Apr-06, 02:59 PM
HI

To many engineers these days forget that people have to work on and repair their creations in the future, just remember how many times you swore and knocked skin of your hands as you built this and you will turn out to be a fine engineer its the ones that forget the pain that turn out the worst. Good luck in your future profession.

John