PDA

View Full Version : Starting a race team at Uni

Woolly - n/a
16-Jun-06, 09:54 PM
Hey all,

I was thinking of trying to start a race team at my university, looking through the site has been a great help with contact info and the like.

Which brings me on to my main point:

Where do I start?

I'm hoping to get the engineering dept. to lend a handing in funding. This means a report on the subject of costs and what the university gets out of it.

Any advice is welcome

Swampy

tonybroad - n/a
17-Jun-06, 08:56 AM
You've come to the right place

I'm an engineering lecturer at The university of central lancs and we've just built a F3 racing craft currently lying 3rd in the UK Championships

email me at t.broad - at - uclan.ac.uk and i'll give you all the info you need

whatever your cost estimate - triple it

whatever yout time estimate - quadruple it

check out the website below for the build history

Tony

Woolly - n/a
17-Jun-06, 02:12 PM
Thanks for the quick reply!

I knew that this kinda thing is going to take a lot of time to set up and get running, along with a fair sum of money. What I was really after is a vague idea of how much money this is going to cost.

From the small amount of research I have done, it's possible to buy new or used for around 4000, not including spare is some cases.

Although ideally, I think it is more of a challenge and more fun to build one.

Any help in pointing me in the right direction would be, well helpful.

Cheers

Swampy

tonybroad - n/a
19-Jun-06, 03:17 PM
Where to start

OK lets say you want to build a F3 or Formula 503 racing craft and you want it to look and run decently

option 1 - self build from plans

think seriously a self-build from plans - although they are often the cheapest,most satisfying and challenging and there have been some excellent self-builds recently, as racing craft they often turn out heavier and less competitive than first imagined.

option 2 - buy a hull and do the rest yourself

this is most people's route i reckon) - you can buy a ready made hull, new (all the fibreglass bits) for 750-1000 ish, it's then down to finding a decent engine and buying a fan to suit the engine - the rest you can pretty much make

option 3 - buy a 2nd hand craft and modify/improve it

you'll be hovering straight away and you can put your own ideas into improving/modifying it and learning from it

option 4 - hire or borrow a set of moulds and make your own hull

not many people will be willing to let their moulds be used but worth an ask if you know anyone, i don't honestly think anyone will be forthcoming offering their moulds to people they don't know

Engines - you are looking at 500+ for an engine and all the bits needed to make a 2nd hand bike engine hoverable (have i just invented a new word ?) anything less than 50Hp and you are going to be uncompetitive. A 2nd hand Rotax 503 engine will set you back 500-750

I'd say a budget of 2000 is reasonable

choose an option and we'll take it from there

this is all my own opinion by the way - other suggestions are welcome

Tony