PDA

View Full Version : Help wanted please - August 17th

Bob Beech - n/a
17-Jun-06, 10:13 AM
Each year in August, this year on Thursday 17th, Popham Airfield near Basingstoke in Hampshire hosts a Starlight Foundation Day.

For those who have not come across the Starlight Foundation before, it is a charity dedicated to brightening the lives of seriously and terminally ill children. At Popham Airfield, around 400 children are given rides in light aircraft, helicopters, hovercraft, on motorbikes, fire engines, police cars and more. They are accompanied by their families and in many cases medical helpers. Many will be brought out of hospital especially for the event.

This year the event comes between the Rhone Raid and the World Championships with the result that some members who have come along in previous years will be away. So a cry for help is going out to anyone who would like to come along, with or without hovercraft. Rides are given between about 12.00 and 17.00.

If you do come, then if like me, at the end of the day you will feel completely drained physically and emotionally but with a real sense that you have done something very rewarding.

If interested please contact Bob Beech on 01425 610775 or robertf.beech(at)btopenworld(dot)com for further details and directions.

Roger Drew - n/a
17-Aug-06, 09:28 PM
I have just returned from this event. I am both exhausted and thoughly elated. It was a fantastic event and a big well done is due to Bob for organising the HCGB contingent. Next year, without the worlds getting in the way, I recommend any one who can, to be there.

andycollins - n/a
18-Aug-06, 06:05 PM
I've got to agree with Roger.

I had a brilliant day. Apart from about 10 mins, the weather was very kind and the spirit of the event will take some beating.

It was great to see the faces as the children and parents went flying across the field. The sight of Dave and Katrina taking their craft off-roading won't be forgotton in a hurry either http://hovercraft.org.uk/images/icons/smiley_icons/icon_smile.gif

Thanks Bob for organising this, I thoroughly enjoyed myself.

Cheers.

Andy.

wilson5698
26-Jun-11, 08:13 AM
Have you got room for a UH18? Happy to bring ous along. Loads of room on board!

Is there hard standing as I can bring a hoist/slings. Working with the less able means that we have this equipmnt available. It makes it a more comfortable experience for those who cannot transfer without help. I might be able to arrange a couple more volunteeers who are competent with hoists and sling fitting to help out.

Do you want me to get in touch with Geoff Bray and Robin Russel? Geoff also has a hoist capable of getting someone from a wheelchair and into a Tiger Moth which is slightly more portable and filed friendly than our standard rig. Robin has a Tiger moth. I cannot speak for them and do not know their diaries, but if not this year, they may be able to help next time around.

We have a day coming up doing something similar but on a smaller scale for a group of disabled campers at Woodlarks near Guildford on July 19th. Would you be interested in bringing a craft?

I am on 01531 635388 (work). 07887 543525 (mob) 01531 660652 home.

I tried yur email but got a bounce back. I am on andrewwilson@helpinghand.co.uk

Cheers,

Andrew

Jon Pert
26-Jun-11, 04:35 PM
Andrew, this thread is 5 years old so your kind offer is slightly late!

Al
26-Jun-11, 06:41 PM
Andrew, this thread is 5 years old so your kind offer is slightly late!

Better late than never:D

beech2896
27-Jun-11, 06:46 AM
Indeed this thread is 5 years old BUT it is still relevant as the Starlight Day is being held again this year on 18th August. I will ring Andrew as suggested.

Anyone else interested in coming along with a craft capable of carrying one or more passengers plus the driver, or just to help, could send me a PM or e-mail me on robertf.beech (at) btopenworld (dot) com

Bob

Brian G. Reynolds
27-Jun-11, 10:54 AM
Hi Bob Sir, is the date correct as it is on a Thursday?

I have to admit that I think this is a good cause and I think my craft would be good for this as it is big and has steps to get in...

Just looking at the diary, it is also a few days before the Leysdown cruise being organised by Kip.

And it is 200 miles away from me.....

Will there be any form of camping on site? showers?

Thank you Bob,

B.

wilson5698
13-Jul-11, 05:39 PM
Hello Bob,

Can you give me a call on 01531 660652?

Cheers,

Andrew