PDA

View Full Version : help!!!!!

bram - n/a
22-Jun-06, 08:19 PM
Just done some fairly successful testin on the coast using completely homebuilt craft, fairly new to all this and encountered couple probs. my craft is integrated and when i slowed to a stop on water i had real trouble getting over the bump. any advice on best tecniques for this ?.

also as a result of much spray being caused i reckon i had water ingress into the carbs cos the engine spluttered whenever i was getting a shower. i'm using k &n type air filters- would putting a sort of cowling over them help or any other suggestions???

Sean Atterbury - n/a
23-Jun-06, 06:21 AM
Sounds to me as if you got excessive lift, My craft did the same when my splitter adjust broke. Do you have an adjustable splitter?

Nickinoue - n/a
23-Jun-06, 11:08 AM
HI bram,

Any cowing to cover the filters would be a good idea, but make sure its does not restrict the flow of air in any way or you could have even more serious problems than a splutterting eingine http://hovercraft.org.uk/images/icons/smiley_icons/icon_confused.gif .

Getting over the hump requires maximum forward speed and a little lift. If your splitter plate is fixed then this might be due to you not having enough forward thrust to get the speed up. Leaning as much forward as possible might also help to bring the nose up!

A good mod on any integrated craft i would say is an adjustable splitter plate, it is simple to do and your craft's performace can be increased http://hovercraft.org.uk/images/icons/smiley_icons/icon_lol.gif .

Good luck

Nick

Ian Brooks - n/a
23-Jun-06, 09:31 PM
Hi

K&N's are notorious for causing a misfire when they are soaked n seawater (or maybe just any water). Replace then with foam filters (available from K&M) and you should be OK. Having said that - a cowling is also a very good idea.

Getting over the hump can be an issue. Some craft just will not get over, ever - some are marginal but will get over given the proper technique. Some craft just go over without fuss! For my craft (which is the middle type)the technique is:

1: Make sure you have stopped completely and any bow-wave has died out completely.

2: Apply minimum lift - at this stage you do not want to move forward - to fully inflate the cushion

3: Wait for about a minute - this allows the skirt and plenum to drain fully. This is a very long time!!!

4: Crack the throttle wide open and move your weight forwards.

5: If you are lucky, you will feel the craft lift up and over the bow wave.

6: If a wave system is created around the craft, you have not managed to get over hump. Cut the throttle, allow the craft to stop completely and go back to step 1.

Cheers

Ian

bram - n/a
25-Jun-06, 09:49 PM
cheers guys appre any help. i'll try these suggestions inc splitter plate mod. may need simple sketch if anyone has one.ta