PDA

View Full Version : Sewing M/C for skirts in Sussex?

KerrinRees - n/a
24-Jul-06, 09:48 AM
Hi,

We're trying to sew a skirt, but the Wife's M/C is not up to it. Does anyone know where we can rent, borrow or buy a slightly meatier one?

Does it need to be a full blown industrial one?

We're in Worthing.

See some of you in Littlehampton hopefullly. (First look at other craft).

Rgds,

Kerrin

kjr-at-mssl.ucl.ac.uk (antispam)

Derek Sweetman - n/a
24-Jul-06, 05:41 PM
Modern sewing machines have nylon gearing and fancy stitch mechanisms, so are not really up to sewing up to 3 layers thick as in some sections of skirt.

Get an old preferably Singer electric sewing machine nothing expensive up to 15 maximum, from a bootfair or Freeadds.

Then buy some needles for Denim increase the foot pressure and set the thread tension.

Ensure you use polyester thread, think my last lot of thread came from Ken at Eagle Hovercraft.

No, I don't like sewing, but I do like my skirt <u>right</u>!

tonybroad - n/a
24-Jul-06, 06:37 PM
i've been making segments today and i use a standard everyday sewing machine, nothing fancy - try spraying your nylon or polyester thread with a bit of WD40 sometimes the neoprene can grab the needle, material is fairly lightweight but i have sewn thicker stuff on it as well

make sure the needle is suitable for denim, any lighter and it'll snap or bend

32 down 24 to go

Tony

nickyd - n/a
24-Jul-06, 10:41 PM
damn,

i've still got over thirty to go, and a big hole in the bottom of the hover to fix...........

Michel - n/a
25-Jul-06, 06:01 AM
I use a fantastic Janome Memory craft that is able to make embroidery too. Fast and strong, and I have made my own embroidery designs for hovercrafts on jackets, caps , etc.index.php?t=getfile&id=319&private=0

KerrinRees - n/a
25-Jul-06, 06:53 AM
Hi,

Thanks for that, yes, the neoprene is grabbing the needle, enough to lift the foot. I can't mess with this m/c so I'll look out for one I can bodge. As long as I don't need a full blown industrial one I should be alright.

Nice embroidery, don't think we'll be doing that on all our segments!

4 down, 63 to go.

Rgds,

Kerrin

Anne Scrimshaw - n/a
25-Jul-06, 09:35 AM
It’s a singer very time for me. We now have three. One of which was my Grandmother’s 21st birthday present and is a treadle one, in a large wooden cupboard, which I do the main skirt. I’ve recently rescued it from the garage, I gave it a quick belt sand all over and a bit of Poly varnish and it sits looking pretty in our timber beamed dinning room.

The second is Martin’s Grandmother’s and it’s a small hand powered one. Very good at race meetings, as it needs no power. It is now covered in dirt and grit from most of Europe.

The last one is another hand one in mint condition and I use for any other sewing I need to do. Not that I do much of that. http://hovercraft.org.uk/images/icons/smiley_icons/icon_biggrin.gif

Anne

Michel - n/a
25-Jul-06, 08:40 PM
Hello All;

I have no problems at all with any kind of neopren coated material, no matter how many layers I put together? I tried only up to 4 . Better results are obtained with neopren down facing grid.

Roger Allman - n/a
26-Jul-06, 12:10 PM
Hi Kerrin,

I've got a spare "heavy" electric sewing machine at home. You're welcome to it, but it will cost you a pint of beer though! I live near Southampton, not so far away, so let me know if you are interested in it.

Roger

saltyjim - n/a
5-Aug-06, 09:03 PM
Hello Roger.

Do you still have your sewing machine, as I live in Hedge End ..... not so far away.

Regards,

Jim

Roger Allman - n/a
6-Aug-06, 09:18 AM
Hi Jim,

Yes, it's still here. If you want to see it, ring me on 07765 303 755

Regards,

Roger

KerrinRees - n/a
11-Aug-06, 09:19 AM
Hi Roger,

Sorry to be long in posting, been away. Still got the M/C? or did you do a deal?

Going away Mon again for a week, if it's still avail. speak when we get back.

Best rgds,

Thanks for the offer,

Kerrin

cbjroms - n/a
11-Jan-07, 03:39 PM
Good afternoon,

I am looking for a sewing machine to make our Viper skirt.

Is the machine discussed in this thread still available or finished with by any chance.

Chris

KerrinRees - n/a
12-Jan-07, 09:34 AM
Hi Chris,

I think this went to Jim in Hedge End, might be worth contacting him.

Best regards,

Kerrin