PDA

View Full Version : Basic Hovercraft questions

cbetts07 - n/a
5-Oct-06, 04:05 PM
Id like to apologize in advance for my ignorance about this topic. I am building a hovercraft for a course im taking. We dont have a lot of funding, so it cant be too extensive, but i was wondering what the best source of air is? The most used seems to be a leaf blower, but one of the people im working with suggested a lawnmower engine attatched to a high pitch blade to blow the air. is that a good source of air? also, is a fan on a rudder a decent way to propel the craft? any info or direction to somewhere i can find info would be much appriciated.

thanks

tonybroad - n/a
6-Oct-06, 08:09 AM
it is possible to make a hovering board with a leaf blower or lawn mower engine but these will only operate on a smooth flat floor

i've seen a couple of internet sites once but can't remember what they were, one was a college project

good luck, sorry i can't help directly

Tony

1clue - n/a
6-Oct-06, 02:14 PM
In the USA we sometimes use lawn mower engines for lift on smaller crafts.

The problem with that is that a proof-of-concept craft like you're discussing rarely is large enough to do any good. Sometimes our F25 machines have 20 hp thrust and 5 hp lift. The lift is, literally, a lawn mower. They even sometimes use part of the deck as an engine mount.

The example I'm thinking of is Shane Wilke's craft, which frequently takes the championship for the class. His machine has a footprint of around 60 square feet, arranged as a pointed craft similar to a UH-14p (http://www.hovercraft.com)

He has an extremely light weight craft, and a very well made lift and thrust system. Tight clearances, no rubbing, good lift fan, good skirt, etc. and absolutely nothing on there that doesn't belong in a race. He doesn't even use a seat.

cbetts07 - n/a
13-Oct-06, 02:37 AM
I'm having a heck of a time now grasping exactly how the skirt works. I've done a lot of reading and it seems that the bag skirt is my best choice. I dont understand how to install it though, or how you would go about filling it with air. any info or direction where i could find a basic description of this process would be fantasic

cbetts07 - n/a
14-Oct-06, 11:11 PM
im getting pretty frustrated trying to get all the concepts of a hovercraft down by reading various websites on the internet. does anybody know of a good book that clearly explains all of the steps that go into a hovercraft. One that would explain the different types and all of the concepts so somebody who knows basically nothing could figure out what they would need to do in buildign a hovercraft?

thanks

Superwedge - n/a
15-Oct-06, 03:39 AM
Hi depending on what you want this site may be helpful.

Free plans for students to build a very basic craft that will carry one person.. Our club has helped more than a dozen schools build or get started with one of these.. http://www.discoverhover.org/ (www.discoverhover.org/)

This site also has plenty of good info and tips.

http://4wings.com (4wings.com)

index.php?t=getfile&id=458&private=0