PDA

View Full Version : Possible venue in Hertfordshire for hover-ins / general use

Howard Ash - n/a
20-Oct-06, 09:27 AM
<font face="Arial">Students at The University of Hertfordshire have over the last built their first hovercraft and in the process of finding a suitable venue to run their craft have unearthed a field that looks ideal for hovers.

The field belongs to the University and is currently unused... and it's huge! Its located by Junction 2 of the A1 and even has a park and ride parking facility next to it so not only is it easy to find, it has loads of tarmac parking by it. The university has agreed to do the initial grass cutting for me (last cut 18 months ago) so we can operate our hovercraft. However, long term our 'hoverclub' would have to maintain the cost of future cuts.

So, as another place to run your hovercraft and a way of mainting the field for hovercraft use, I'd like to know if members in or around the area would like use of the field. Please contact me by email at h.a.s.ash&#64;herts.ac.uk or reply to this with your contact details if you are interested.

Location can be found at:

http://www.multimap.com/map/browse.cgi?client=public&X=5 (www.multimap.com/map/browse.cgi?client=public&X=522000&Y=206500&width=700&height=400&gride=521316.751453625&gridn=207278.649845833&srec=0&coordsys=gb&db=GB&addr1=&addr2=&addr3=&pc=&advanced=&local=&localinfosel=&kw=&inmap=&table=&ovtype=&keepicon=true&zm=0&scale=10000&down.x=286&down.y=4) 22000&Y=206500&width=700&height=400&gride=52 1316.751453625&gridn=207278.649845833&srec=0&coo rdsys=gb&db=GB&addr1=&addr2=&addr3=&pc=& amp; amp; amp;advanced=&local=&localinfosel=&kw=&inmap =&table=&ovtype=&keepicon=true&zm=0&scal e=10000&down.x=286&down.y=4

Many thanks,

Howard[/COLOR]

tonybroad - n/a
20-Oct-06, 09:13 PM
The University of Central Lancashire have also built a hovercraft.... http://hovercraft.org.uk/images/icons/smiley_icons/icon_twisted.gif WANNA RACE !!!!!! http://hovercraft.org.uk/images/icons/smiley_icons/icon_twisted.gif

index.php?t=getfile&id=461&private=0

index.php?t=getfile&id=462&private=0

chrismdaly - n/a
21-Oct-06, 06:24 AM
They must be old photos. There are no cracks , tape etc

tonybroad - n/a
21-Oct-06, 09:05 AM
we like to think it's had an 'eventful' season and that the cracks and gaffer tape help to give it that 'well raced' look

there's a new shiny one on it's way

Tony

Howard Ash - n/a
23-Oct-06, 08:43 AM
Hi Tony,

ooh we're always up for a challenge... perhaps not just yet!!

Just before I joined Herts this summer, a group of 4 students designed and made the first UH craft. Its fair to say the craft isn't going to be the most competitive in its class... it weighs in at 145kg with a Rotax 503 in it and has poor lift characterisitics to boot! It's also lacking buoyancy so we'll be avoiding water with this craft. This craft will be for educational purposes only!

We're going to be using a Vortex hull for our next project and with a bit of luck I'll be entering some novice races with it in the forthcoming season. I last raced some 14 years ago in Formula Junior, see pic.

index.php?t=getfile&id=467&private=0

Of course where our 2 uni's do currently compete is in Formula Student..!

UH were top UK team in 2005 and were topped in 2004 & 2006 by Oxford Brookes where I was faculty advisor.

index.php?t=getfile&id=469&private=0

I'm looking forward to getting a UH craft up to speed, introducing more and more students to light hovercraft racing and hopefully having a go myself... once again!

Cheers,

Howard

tonybroad - n/a
23-Oct-06, 11:00 AM
Ah yes Formula Student - new car is under way as we speak - we'd have made top 10 if the battery hadn't given up restarting the car on the 2nd leg of the endurance

index.php?t=getfile&id=470&private=0

good luck with everything

Tony

Anne Scrimshaw - n/a
23-Oct-06, 11:16 AM
Why oh why oh why, weren't they doing all these things when I was at Hatfield?

***Sigh***

Howard Ash - n/a
23-Oct-06, 01:47 PM
I'd like to say its because I wasn't teaching there at the time!

just for background info...

Formula Student was born out of Formula SAE, a collegiate competition organised by the American Society of Automotive Engineers. The first non-north American FSAE team was Leeds University in 96/97 of which I was a member. From there it grew and grew, we had the demo event in '98 at MIRA, which then moved to the NEC, followed by Bruntingthorpe... and now the event is moving to Silverstone in 2007.

...back to lectures!

Howard

tonybroad - n/a
24-Oct-06, 07:32 AM
And it's not far from Jake's Place - 14th 15th July 2006 at Bruntingthorpe Aerodrome - a good interesting day out

Tony