PDA

View Full Version : new member with questions!

samol - n/a
21-Oct-06, 09:08 PM
Hello everybody,

I lift next to a lovely estury (Ravenglass Cumbria) where the tide is more out than in!!

My main sport is kayaking & I do enjoy a bit of kayak surfing from time to time, we often get surf on the irish sea coast about 2km from where I live.

I can paddle out in my small kayak but it does depend on the state of the tide etc.. so I need transport with my kayak out to sea whatever the tide is doing.

I was thinking of a small crusing craft (i could also take the kids to the better beaches in the summer).

I was wondering

1. what craft you would recommend?

2. do i need a licence to run such craft?

3 Might there be any restrictions for runnig hovercraft on estury waters?

Before you ask my kayak is very small not much bigger than a surf board.

Thanks Antony

andycollins - n/a
21-Oct-06, 09:21 PM
Hi,

Take a look at this thread...

http://hovercraft.org.uk/FUDforum2/index.php?t=msg&th=74 (hovercraft.org.uk/FUDforum2/index.php?t=msg&th=741&start=0) 1&start=0

It looks to answer most of your questions.

Cheers.

Andy.

Ian Brooks - n/a
22-Oct-06, 02:43 PM
Hello

I have cruised in that area, it is fantastic, and access is great... BUT... it is a noise-sensitive venue if ever I saw one. As you choose your craft, put low noise at the top of your agenda, otherwise the complaints will come thick and fast!

There are a number of suitable craft (and many unsuitable), be sure to ask for noise figures in dB's, for HCGB regs you /must/ be below 87dB, but target a lower number - the mid to low 80's is achievable.

Cheers

Ian

samol - n/a
22-Oct-06, 05:30 PM
thought noise might be an issue!!

I take it a 4 stroke would be better then..

Where did you launch from? did you just use the estuary or did you go out to sea?