PDA

View Full Version : Hoverwing

Cookee - n/a
27-Feb-07, 01:31 PM
I hope you don't mind me butting in here - but has anyone had any experience of these things?

http://www.hovercraft.com/content/index.php?main_page=index& (http://www.hovercraft.com/content/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=53) amp;cPath=53

Thanks a lot!

jar2 - n/a
27-Feb-07, 02:43 PM
I have a UH18SP (built three years ago - no "W" yet though!). What do you want to know about them? See my website below for pics/videos etc.

As a hovercraft they are VERY fast and stable. The only real disadvantage they have is a low hover height (8") for such a large craft - it can make it difficult to maneouver on lumpy ground.

Cookee - n/a
27-Feb-07, 03:33 PM
Hi John - It was the W version I was thinking of - any reason why you havn't done the conversion yet? Great looking site!

Do you know the legalities of the "flying" version - is it still a hovercraft legally? What sort of sea conditions would they cope with and are the kits any good or do they require a lot of extra work?

Where are you in the UK - looks like your main area is Scotland - how do you get on cruising up rivers etc?

Thanks for your reply!

jar2 - n/a
27-Feb-07, 03:48 PM
I was intending to do the conversion this winter - it needs new rudders/elevator and tail end built - but I'm rapidly running out of time! The wings themselves are simple - a couple of ali tubes and some skirt material!

As to the legality - I'm not that sure. My tentative enquiries seem to indicate that it isn't covered by an existing regulation - I don't want ask too much or the answer will probably be NO.

I didn't buy any kit stuff from UH - only a prop and lift fan. Everything you would need is readily available in the UK

The UH18 copes surprisingly well in chop up to about 2ft or so (at low speed obviously!). I wouldn't think you could take off in anything worse than about 6" chop as the forward speed needed would make it very uncomfortable or even dangerous. Once off the surface it doesn't matter much what the water is doing!

Yes, I'm in Scotland. And cruising rivers is excellent - you can legally navigate the tidal sections of virtually all rivers in the UK. The tidal sections are surprisingly long on some rivers (40 miles+).

Cookee - n/a
27-Feb-07, 04:08 PM
I'm guessing you built it from their plans then?

Sadly down here we have by-laws prohibiting them from the harbours - when the tide is out the moored boats end up covered in mud! Jeremy Thorpe the politician came here by special permission once, entered Salcombe and went up the estuary when the tide was out and covered every single boat! We also have the only privately owned estuary in the country, and the other river is governed by a Harbour master who might get the hump if disturbed everyone's peace! I reckon you have a head start up there - not so many paople to complain!