PDA

View Full Version : Drive Ratio & Eccles History

Hornet - n/a
13-May-07, 12:03 AM
Hello Fellow Hoverers,

Im building a twin engine Eccles craft and will be using a Robin EC44 for thrust driving a single 800mm fan. Can anybody give me some advice on what drive ratio to use. This is my first craft and I am a novice when it comes to such things.

Also does anyone have any information on the Eccles Hovercraft. I am in Australia and have some plans for an Eccles that where brought back from the UK in the late 1970's. Is this a good craft to build? I am unable to find any information about the Eccles.

Many Thanks

Hornet

Hornet - n/a
13-May-07, 04:25 AM
Pic of my mould

Iceman - n/a
13-May-07, 08:11 AM
G'day!

The Eccles was a very succesful craft in its day but hasn't been seen on the racing circuit for probably 25 years. It usually ran twin thrust ducts.

The designer was a guy called Richard Cresswell and he still runs his own engineering company. I think this may be the details for him (from a Google search!):

CRESSWELL ENGINEERING: 340/342 Cherrywood Road, Birmingham B9 4UU

Tel: 0121 772 2512 Fax: 0121 773 9548

Whereabouts in Oz are you? There are quite a few guys down there that can possibly help and advise you with other issues too.

Hornet - n/a
13-May-07, 10:17 AM
Hi David,

Thanks for the info on the Eccles, I was curious to know if anyone new much about these craft as I could not find any information on them, obviously due to the age of the design & craft they are no longer used in UK racing.

Im located in South Australia.

hovmart - n/a
13-May-07, 02:11 PM
good craft in its day

LouiseBeale - n/a
22-May-07, 11:22 PM
This is my dad (Bill Sherlock) racing his Eccles. He won this race meeting which was at St Melons in wales. I was only about 8 at the time so can't really say much more than that!

Hornet - n/a
23-May-07, 04:19 AM
Hi Louise,

Thanks for the pictures, the photo's I see the more inspired I get to make progress on the craft. Can't wait to finish it and go hovering.

Hornet - n/a
24-May-07, 04:56 AM
Modified Eccles

Kevin_Leach - n/a
31-May-07, 07:55 PM
http://img339.imageshack.us/img339/5630/hovercraft10xs1.th.jpg (img339.imageshack.us/my.php?image=hovercraft10xs1.jpg)

I still keep an old eccles running, slightly temperamental but still good fun.It has a RD400 for thrust and a JLO125 for lift .

Hornet - n/a
3-Jun-07, 12:28 AM
Hi Kevin,

Nice looking machine, glad to see there are some old craft still running, its good to see them and is like seeing classic cars or bikes in action. This is a picture of what my craft should look like, except I will be running a single duct at the rear with an EC44 for thrust & EC25 for lift.