PDA

View Full Version : Redex Engine Cleaner and Rotax

Dan Moss - n/a
28-May-07, 08:24 PM
Hi all,

I have recently started maintaining my Air Cadet Squadron Hovercraft. I have a general idea about most things but im no expert. Our cyclone has a Rotax 447 which is running very roughly and as far as im aware it hasn't been serviced for years! My boss reckons Redex engine cleaner is appropriate but I have my doubts knowing it is an aviation engine. I would just like your views on this and any help would be much appreciated.

jon_curtis - n/a
28-May-07, 08:58 PM
i wouldn't put redex through it!

http://www.ultralightnews.com/enginemaintenance/index.html

check out the manuals on this site and you wont go to wrong http://hovercraft.org.uk/images/icons/smiley_icons/icon_smile.gif

Greg Kendall - n/a
29-May-07, 11:58 AM
Dan

Give me a ring , 07976 462494, 01226 751652

We run several of these at the Army College they are absolutely bomb proof if they still have the cooling fan.

Redex will decoke it but that wont be the problem and you may do a piston with it.

Im in Barnsley so i can call and have a look .

New plugs

Strip and clean the carb.

Clean the airfilter

New fuel and make sure the oil ratio is bang on

New fuel filter whilst we are on with it.

If it wont start put a little fuel on the airfilter. The choke plunger sometimes isnt enough on these. few pulls and it should go.

I think we spoke a few years ago at Rother Valley,You opposite quick fit i think .

Greg Kendall Yorks & NE Branch

Cpl. Bee - n/a
31-May-07, 11:08 PM
Hi all,

I have recently started maintaining my Air Cadet Squadron Hovercraft.

Quick question if you don't mind but what squadron are you from??

I'm wondering as i'm the Sgt i/c of the 198 (hinckley) squadron Moto-cyclone (Warwickshire and Birmingham Wing, Central and East Region) and it would be interesting to compare notes so to speak. Plus if you get your bossman to sort out getting your craft to events then it gives us a chance to meet other squadrons with a similar craft and so we can help each other out.

Dan Moss - n/a
1-Jun-07, 11:28 AM
[FONT=Arial]Hi Pete,

148 Barnsley Squadron, South and West Yorkshire Wing, North Region.

Sounds like a good idea to me, I’m surprised at the amount of help/events I have been offered just from this one post. It’s amazing!

Well our HC was completed in 1989ish, marine-ply construction and I believe it was the first one in the Corps. As mentioned earlier we have an older Rotax 447. It’s not ‘fast’ (As much as I would like it to be) and the performance is below average at the moment, but it’s adequate (just) for its main role of cadet Training and Publicity.

Also I have a feeling that a lack of care and attention to the engine is going to have its consequences soon, hence the plea for help http://hovercraft.org.uk/images/icons/smiley_icons/icon_razz.gif

index.php?t=getfile&id=693&private=0

Cpl. Bee - n/a
1-Jun-07, 01:03 PM
we're still working on ours (the list of things to do keeps growing http://hovercraft.org.uk/images/icons/smiley_icons/icon_evil.gif )

but here's the photo of how we recieved it

index.php?t=getfile&id=694&private=0

thats when we put it roughly into position - i shall try and get some photos of how it is at the moment

chrismdaly - n/a
1-Jun-07, 02:50 PM
Does this mean we might have a small amount of inter squadron competition?

447 are allowed in juniors.

Cpl. Bee - n/a
2-Jun-07, 10:28 PM
I didn't suggest that did I?? http://hovercraft.org.uk/images/icons/smiley_icons/icon_rolleyes.gif http://hovercraft.org.uk/images/icons/smiley_icons/icon_rolleyes.gif

but we have 3 weeks before our hovercraft debuts at our wing field day to prove to the various COs, WSOs and our Wing commander.

P.S. if you don't understand what i've just said then don't worry, Dan should

Dan Moss - n/a
5-Jun-07, 01:34 PM
Sounds good to me, what do you have planned for wing field day?

A few years ago we flew Air Commodore Chitty to the final parade on ours, and gave cadets rides.

Just out of curiosity who are you insured by?

Cpl. Bee - n/a
5-Jun-07, 02:02 PM
I'm not sure

but the plan is that we will transport it on a trailer but with boards around it so people can't see it.

then when there is a break between drill displays i'll pilot it (in my flight suit + helmet) onto the parade square (which is in front of where everyone camps out for the day) i'll do a few spins and just generally show that it does actually work, stop in front of the wing commander and his guest for day, take the helmet off, pop my beret on, salute, remove beret, replace helmet and go off back to the trailer.

Dan Moss - n/a
5-Jun-07, 02:17 PM
The only reason I asked about insurance is because we found out last year ATC insurance no longer covers hovercrafts, we can’t fly until we find someone who will insure us as a group without providing a list of pilots.

Have you flown it before?

Do you have recent pic of your craft?

Cpl. Bee - n/a
5-Jun-07, 02:33 PM
I don't have any recent pics of it as i've been too busy trying to get it ready to remember to stop to take pictures

I'm not sure about the insurance but as we're going to race it we have to have qualified drivers anyway so we'll just give those names, 3 juniors and 3 novices

Viper148 - n/a
5-Jun-07, 09:02 PM
Pete.

I'm curious as to what surface you will be flying the hovercraft on. Speaking from experience (having flown on the cyclone below for almost 14 years) I hope it's grass as tarmac or any other hardstanding will make a real mess of your hull.

I am also a bit concerned about your proposed approach to your Wing CO ( although I'm sure have fully risk assessed the event) - maybe this is the Warrant Officer in me being a little skeptical.

Pete are you aware that only the construction of hovercraft is covered byt ACO insurance and to be able to fly you must hold an appropriate insurance policy for an extrnal insurance broker?

Regards

Andy

Cpl. Bee - n/a
5-Jun-07, 11:05 PM
Well my CO has been orgnanising the insurance etc. and it is him that is organising the attendance and the display at wing field day. I'm just in charge of getting the craft ready and make sure the team know the dates that they are required for.

But yes the drill square for the day is tarmac. Me and the team were sceptical about how it would fare but we believed that for the short amount of time we would be on there for it wouldn't make too much of a problem

Viper148 - n/a
6-Jun-07, 04:42 PM
Pete.

If your OC has sorted out you insurance, would you mind posting who your broker is, never hurts to widen the pot of resources.

Would be good to see photo's of the day too once complete.

Regards

Andy