PDA

View Full Version : Cheap Hover Anyone

Don83000 - n/a
11-Jun-07, 09:19 PM
Cheap as chips

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=140 (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=140127613625&sspagename=ADME:L:RTQ:UK:1) 127613625&sspagename=ADME:L:RTQ:UK:1

Russ Pullen - n/a
13-Jun-07, 07:15 PM
I've got some rusty bolts and old fence panels laying in my garden.

Anyone interested in the ebay listing can pay me 50 for the whole lot.

Jamie Lewendon - n/a
14-Jun-07, 11:49 AM
I love the 2 stroke pipes that have been extended with slinky tubing. Bet the engine runs well. NOT.

Jamie

sixpackpert - n/a
14-Jun-07, 05:07 PM
Or how about this for a winter project

Clicky (cgi.ebay.co.uk/Hovecraft-Fibre-Glass-Hull-Alfa-Romeo-engine_W0QQitemZ120131427625QQihZ002QQcategoryZ367 97QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem)

Jamie Lewendon - n/a
14-Jun-07, 05:45 PM
For reliability purposes, can you imagine any worse combination, than combining an alfa engine with a hovercraft?

Jamie http://hovercraft.org.uk/images/icons/smiley_icons/icon_lol.gif

sixpackpert - n/a
14-Jun-07, 05:47 PM
For reliability purposes, can you imagine any worse combination, than combining an alfa engine with a hovercraft?

http://hovercraft.org.uk/images/icons/smiley_icons/icon_lol.gif http://hovercraft.org.uk/images/icons/smiley_icons/icon_lol.gif http://hovercraft.org.uk/images/icons/smiley_icons/icon_lol.gif

Just found another cheapy...

Clicky (cgi.ebay.co.uk/eagle-one-hover-craft_W0QQitemZ320127111822QQihZ011QQcategoryZ5642 2QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem)

Russ Pullen - n/a
14-Jun-07, 06:14 PM
Nope.

We did it waaaaaay back in 1981. In fact, we went out in it the day Charles & Diana married.

Home built aluminium craft with a 1300cc Twin Cam Alfa engine.

Didn't work terribly well in all honesty! http://hovercraft.org.uk/images/icons/smiley_icons/icon_biggrin.gif

peterd51 - n/a
14-Jun-07, 07:37 PM
Hi,

so what you all seem to be saying is that anything less than 3000 isn't worth having?

Regards

Peter

Ian Brooks - n/a
14-Jun-07, 08:02 PM
Quite a few craft over 3000 are not worth having http://hovercraft.org.uk/images/icons/smiley_icons/icon_lol.gif

Ian

Flyboy999 - n/a
14-Jun-07, 09:40 PM
Yes like that awful blue contraption with the Subaru engine in it that's now been on ebay twice without a sale maybe because it looks like the paint was put on with a trowel and smoothed out with a garden rake. http://hovercraft.org.uk/images/icons/smiley_icons/icon_lol.gif

hovercad - n/a
14-Jun-07, 10:34 PM
Funny reading some of the posts.

Maybe the subject should be changed to "another ebay bashing".

At least one of the craft comented in this thread is some one that has posted on here many times and asked advice.

Spent many hours building and being encouraged by members of this forum.

May be the price is misplaced maybe not.

Would be interested to know if the people that put down a home built craft have actually built one themselves from scratch?

I havent so wouldnt coment.

Yes theres some fire wood being sold on ebay but most of the sellers coments make it clear its holed it doesnt work etc.

peterd51 - n/a
15-Jun-07, 06:54 AM
Hi,

it's difficult at times to get a true meaning from writen words but some of the comments above seem to me to be based on snobbery.

A cheapo hovercraft off ebay isn't always a bad thing...

it's an opportunity to try out something without spending thousands of pounds and the buyer should learn a lot from the re-building.

They might even move on to something more exotic and bring their freinds and family into the sport.

Or is the idea here to keep this as an exclusive club?

That one on ebay with the glass-fibre hull looks like a decent project.

All the basics are there.

OK the Alfa engine sounds a bit dodgy even to me who'll use anything (I drive a Mondeo!) but a decent replacement engine doesn't cost that much.

People have to start somewhere.

Regards

Peter

Russ Pullen - n/a
15-Jun-07, 08:41 AM
Hi,

it's difficult at times to get a true meaning from writen words but some of the comments above seem to me to be based on snobbery.

A cheapo hovercraft off ebay isn't always a bad thing...

No, but an old wreck, one made out of wood, with a screamy, unreliable bike engine is.

It won't win any races isn't much fun to drive, and if you try to go crusing in it, you'll likely meet some nice men with a big blue and orange boat, when they fish you out of the water due to the surprising departure of the floor of your craft.

Which leaves what? Driving up and down a beach or a grassy field. In which case, buy a quad, they do it so much better.

I'd love to know the numbers but i reckon around 75% of projects never get finished. This quote in the ad for the Freedom 3 (?) on ebay summed it up perfectly!

"Anyway back to its history.

My neighbour got fed up with looking out of his lounge window and seeing the yellow peril , my mate visited me one day and made him an offer he couldn't refuse and took it away the next day.

Unfortunately mates wife has now got fed up looking out of her lounge window at said yellow peril so its time to move it on again to someone with a bit more technical ability and a more understanding spouse.

This has got to be sold as a NON RUNNER, due the fact that it hasn't been started for twelve months, and it will be sold AS SEEN"

You're right of course, if folks want to build a craft, then fine. But why start with a piece of knackered old shat, comprising rotting wood, outdated technology and a total lack of potential?

Thats not snobbery, thats common sense.

Kipmac - n/a
15-Jun-07, 10:50 AM
This craft is a rare Osprey 4

Back in the mid 80's we were contacted by Scat Hovercraft in Florida who urgently needed a 4 seater.

The Craft was designed, tools and moulds built, first craft built, tested, craft and all moulds and parts for the next 5 craft air freighted out in 15 weeks.

The original engine was the 503 installed in a floor mounted stream lined central pod. I thought it looked rather good.

I was not happy with the aesthetics but as it turned out that was not important.

The demo craft was used a few times out there.

It was never put into production. I was amazed to hear one of the salesmen asking the works manager when the craft would be available and the answer was in 12 months!!

We had all we needed to start immediate production.

As a direct result of the introduction of the new model, Scat Hovercraft raised an additional 2 million dollars on the stock market!!!

Before we shipped out the moulds we took 2 or 3 hulls out of the moulds and kept them in the UK.

I believe Hovmart and Own Wiseman both had one.

Kip

Nickinoue - n/a
15-Jun-07, 03:32 PM
Oi Flyboy999

Firstly arnt you meant to have a legitimate name now the rules have changed for this forum!

And plus i happen to know that Duncan Hine maker of the suberu craft is an excellent engineer, and for the age that he built it i.e 17 probably did a much better job than you could have done at that age.

Its a perfectly good hover, just using the wrong type of paint for the finish that is "so obviously required in order for a hovercraft to not be classed as an awful contraption".

Duncan used to be a significant contributer to this board and considering you arent i would be careful who's craft you slate.

Nick

<table border="0" align="center" width="90%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td class="SmallText">Quote:</td></tr><tr><td class="quote">
Re: Cheap Hover Anyone Thu, 14 June 2007 22:40

Flyboy999

Yes like that awful blue contraption with the Subaru engine in it that's now been on ebay twice without a sale maybe because it looks like the paint was put on with a trowel and smoothed out with a garden rake.
</td></tr></table>

bryan - n/a
15-Jun-07, 06:27 PM
Although i am sure that all the members on this site all own

a wonderfull craft. However before those people slate other craft feel free to bring your craft to either a race event or a cruise so that we may scoff at your efforts. Heres an idea why not post a photo of your own machine at the end of your comment!

Heres mine to start!

Iceman - n/a
15-Jun-07, 06:49 PM
As a long time hovercraft enthusiast and someone who wants to encourage as many people into the sport as possible, I support anyone who wants to build their own craft, or buy a pile of bits off ebay, if it gets their foot in the door then thats great!

I have recently sold a decent F503 craft to a guy who first taste of hovercraft was a 300 ebay special. It took him 2 hours to get it running for each 10 minutes of play, but he got bitten by the bug and decided it was worth investing a decent amount of money in a more modern craft. He has now sold on his cheapo one and hopefully it will have the same effect on the next owner, and so and so on.

Too many sports have become more and more expensive eliminating the man in the street from being able to get involved. Which is a real shame because there are an awful lot more people in that category than those with thousands to throw at a craft and we should do what we can to encourage and support those people because they will add so much more to the club at all levels compared to those that just splash out the money.

I have still not forgotten the challenge about building an F503 with plywood and being competitive, as soon as I can I will be doing this to prove that a homebuilt craft CAN win races! However, that is not really the point, the real thing to look at here is getting craft in the paddock and I'd prefer to see a paddock oveflowing with plenty of plywood homebuilds than a half empty paddock full of exotic off the shelf stuff.

This club is for everyone and we more experienced guys should give support to everyone especially those that are doing their best to create something with their own hands.

I will repeat something I said a while ago: I have no interest (at the moment) in cruising, I am a pure racer, but I will not belittle or remark negatively on cruising and indeed if I am asked about it, I will encourage the interest and point them in the right direction. If someone here wants to buy a pile of bits off ebay, let them! Yes of course if they are about to pay stupid money for a cable tie and guard then stop them, but if they want to have a go at mending something then let them and if they need advice, give it, but NOT if its negative.

We all know, a small taster of hovering is usually enough to give someone the bug for life, so any chance to gain a new hoverer should be welcomed.

So to all those who keep posting negative comments about homebuilds or cheapo craft on ebay, please keep those comments off this bulletin board before you turn those people (and any other potential hoverers) off the sport before they even start.

Nickinoue - n/a
15-Jun-07, 09:35 PM
Well said dave, sound advice!

GavinParson - n/a
15-Jun-07, 11:47 PM
As Kip says, this is definately an Osprey 4. I was only aware of one yellow one which Owen Wiseman and myself took a set of moulds off and the base craft ended up with Granville Spedding.

I used my craft for about 4 years with 3 different engines and eventually sold it to an events company and got an Osprey 1. The first engine dropped a valve and blew up and the block still sits in my garden.

Owens took his craft to the US after Kip converted it to having a lift fan and a prop for thrust. The original ford crossflow engines ran in it for many years until leaded fuel was no longer available. He then replaced it with a Chrysler V6!

Now he is returning it to integrated and fitting a Yamaha R1. This craft is now 20 years old. Fair play to him for keeping it going for so long.

Russ Pullen - n/a
16-Jun-07, 08:10 AM
As a long time hovercraft enthusiast and someone who wants to

So to all those who keep posting negative comments about homebuilds or cheapo craft on ebay, please keep those comments off this bulletin board before you turn those people (and any other potential hoverers) off the sport before they even start.

Er...No!

Most of the piles of firewood for sale on ebay will NEVER be made to work again by a first time owner.

If people are so terminally short of cash that they can only spend 300 on a collection of rusty and rotten bits, then i suggest that hovering isn't for them.

Firstly becuase they won't be able to afford to rebuild it safely or effectively, which willcost waaaay more than the original shed did. Secondly because they won't have the knowledge to acheieve those aims, having no experience of hovercraft, and therefore what they're trying to achieve.

My advice would be to buy something that works - homebuilt or manufactured - for a couple of grand and get some experience. Otherwise it ends up sitting in the drive before the missus goes off on one, and the next poor sap gets lumbered with it.

Anyway, this one comes up every 12 months ago, and me and Dave always cut and paste these posts, and as usual, Dave's compeletely wrong and I'm right. http://hovercraft.org.uk/images/icons/smiley_icons/icon_biggrin.gif

Ian Brooks - n/a
16-Jun-07, 02:35 PM
This is where we need to make a distinction between cruising and racing... I can't comment on racing, but will on cruising.

Russ does have a point when it comes to casual use or cruising - most of the cheap Challenger type craft on ebay are only suitable for running up & down a beach, which brings us into conflict with the general public and is best discouraged.

Cheap and suitable cruising craft are rare - this Osprey is such a craft... but will need work, and to make it safe and reliable will take time, money or both, but it is a worthwhile project. My first craft was an ebay cheapie - but cost me 1000UKP and needed another 3 months and 500UKP to make it safe for in-shore use. With the best will in the world, this is the kind of money that will be needed. I suspect that a "fun" (as opposed to competitive) racer can be had for less than this? The difference is that your life might depend on the reliability of your cruiser.

Anyone interested in buying a cruiser - read this!

http://www.hovercraft.org.uk/cruising/cruisingcraft/cruising (http://www.hovercraft.org.uk/cruising/cruisingcraft/cruisingcraft.html) craft.html

Anyone needed inspiration for cruising, look here!

http://www.hovercruiser.org.uk/2007.htm

Cheers

Ian

peterd51 - n/a
16-Jun-07, 08:07 PM
Hi,

strewth...

I miss a couple of days internet and the thread doubles in size!

All of the comments are interesting, even the negative ones. The guys that are making them have their points...in their opinion their hovercraft is bigger or better than everyone elses.

What I think they need to see is that someone new coming along could be put off the sport completely by them.

If someone wants to buy a sc**p hull with engine, duct, skirt, etc, for a few hundred pounds then it'll be cheaper than buying all those parts new. No problem, build a new hull.

Or a decent hull, skirt, duct, fan with a suspect engine, no problem, buy another engine.

Alfa, well I have no experience of those at all...far too exotic for a 'Mondeo' man.

But I've seen other places on the internet where the Suburu is quoted as a decent power plant so what's wrong with the 'blue' one on ebay other than the price?

Isn't it a simple case of marketing...try a higher price and lower it until you find a buyer who agrees with your valuation?

It's still too high for me and I suspect a lot of other people who might want to try out the sport to see how it goes...but maybe in a couple of years time, who knows?

After reading the first few posts in this thread I was begining to have second thoughts about this forum. I have to state here that I'm pretty 'thick-skinned', easy going, don't really care whose 'manhood' is biggest, etc. It just seemed the wrong sort of place for a 'newbie'.

The later messages give me more hope...

I know that the hovercraft that I bought will never be a sea-going craft but then I'm not keen on deep water so it should never be a problem. (I get goose-pimples crossing the Humber Bridge). That shouldn't be a problem for all the ocean-going hovercrafter out there as it'll leave more room for them if I stay on the local pond.

There are plenty of places that I could try it out to get a taste for the sport, mostly over shallow water and grass or sand(local water-sports centre, etc).

Ideally I'd love to get into the Humber estuary off Cleethorpes beach but that may be a struggle for a year or two as Cleethorpes council aren't the most forward thinking lot.

But there's about five miles of seafront and the tide goes out at least a mile leaving pools and gullies. The 'tourists' don't get out that far and as the tide comes in I reckon I'd be packing in about the time that the jet-skiers start.

Use a quad on Cleethorpes beach? No chance, vehicles are banned on the beach. And I'd hate to a mile off-shore with a dead engine and the tide coming in. Same situation in my hovercraft...let it float with a long tow-rope and walk it in on the tide.

I'm not as daft as I sound...

Thanks

Peter

GavinParson - n/a
17-Jun-07, 06:04 AM
Good points by most people. I started off with a 150 wreck from the Exchange and Mart (no ebay in 1984. I rebuilt it with no experience and yes it don't go very well or hang together very long. But it was a "foot in the door" as David Iceman says and soon I was buying a better craft and getting good advice from club members like Hovmart.

Russ's point about reliability and safety are still valid. A craft needs to be extremely trustworthy if you're going to venture out onto an estuary. Tide and weather conditions can change very quickly and if you're craft has broken down then you immediately become very vulnerable (as those cockle pickers found out)and your only escape may be by rescue helicoptor if you're able to actually contact the coastguard (how many of you are qualified to use and actually own a marine VHF radio? A mobile phone may not work when you need it).

Many decent hovercraft become lousy boats when not hovering. The skirts become sea anchors and carry you with the current and many don't have enough freeboard and can easily flood with one wave.

You may enjoy playing on a field or on a beach for a while but that will soon become boring and the call of the wide open sea/estuary/sandbanks/mudflats will tempt you. It is a fantastic, exhilirating world out there but a damn dangerous place when it all goes wrong.

So my message is, make sure you've got a craft that you can truly rely on, ensure you have good safety equipment- radio, flare, lifejacket and make sure someone goes with you and someone knows where you're going and what time you're due back.

Superwedge - n/a
17-Jun-07, 07:01 AM
Here is a pic of my craft as it was built from old fence pailings and bits of string more than 5 years ago thought I had better include pics date. http://hovercraft.org.uk/images/icons/smiley_icons/icon_lol.gif Russ no need for you to download. http://hovercraft.org.uk/images/icons/smiley_icons/icon_eek.gif

Tony Windex.php?t=getfile&id=735&private=0

Iceman - n/a
17-Jun-07, 09:10 AM
All the points above are valid (apart from Russ's) but everyone is judging things from their own perspective.

Of course a 300 special is not something to take out on the sea, it is likely to only ever be used once or twice on a school field but the point is, that person will get bitten by the bug and move onto bigger better things. Like I said earlier, I have just sold a 2K craft to a guy who's only experience of hovering was a cheapo off ebay that he has had for 2 years but only got running for an hour tops. But now he has proven to himself that he enjoys it, he has dipped into his pocket and bought something better. I doubt if this guy will ever race and/or cruise but he is still a hoverer and should be supported.

I agree with the points about trying to use cheap craft for cruising, they are not up to the job obviously and its unfortunate when the minority burn up the beaches and spoil if for the rest, which is all the more reason to try and keep this board more positive and welcoming to everyone so that we have a chance to educate them.

Another point here is that whilst some people (like Russ) just wanna pay their money and go play, other people want to make something, they are looking for a practical hobby and building something in their own shed and seeing it hover across the local school field is all that they want to do.

Also, those that build their own craft will possibly develop more knowledge and know how about hovercraft, which will not only help them with maintaining or improving their own craft, but they may go on to help develop hovercraft in general. If we all went to the shops to buy our hovercraft, none of the back street development would happen and we'd all stand still technically.

I have seen some real nails in my time, but hovercraft are relatively simple and anything can be made to hover, ok, not well enough to race or cruise but will still give someone satisfaction and enjoyment, and who are we to tell someone they shouldn't bother unless they have a couple of grand to spend????

Everyone who hovers has a different set of requirements and criteria concerning what they want to acheive or get out of it, just become someones objectives aren't the same as yours, it doesn't mean they are wrong, just encourage and nuture and we may gain a few new members along the way!!

Cpl. Bee - n/a
22-Jun-07, 10:40 PM
to answer the comment earlier

Our hovercraft arrived in bits as a cheapo last September (same weekend as Jakes '06)

We still havn't got it running properly

(For Chris Daly - we had the engine mounted and we have everything now - but we went to bolt the engine half of the frame to the hull half and found they didn't line up again so we've got to take it off and flip it over so it fits again.

hovmart - n/a
23-Jun-07, 06:58 AM
very true words david, best coments out of this thread, i had a lot of fun with my first wooden simple cyclone in 1977 and still have fun with more modern craft now, the most inportant thing is to try to build them relyable, for racing or cruising, cant win a race if you dont finish and can be a long way from home if it breaks down while cruising

Anne Scrimshaw - n/a
23-Jun-07, 11:11 AM
Personally I'd rather spend 200 than 2000 on a new toy, especially if I didn't know if I would like it. If I did find out I liked it I'd be prepared to spend more.

So don't knock the home build. As an engineer myself I know some people like the challenge of getting a pile of junk to work.

Anne

Russ Pullen - n/a
23-Jun-07, 11:57 AM
Personally, i'd rather see more people turning up to events with reliable, well presented craft.

And in my experience, its rarely the case that a pile of neglected, wooden junk bought on ebay will ever fulfill either of those criteria.

All they do is perpetrate the poor image of hovercraft.

For instance, interesting conversation with a guy who's a bigwig in Ribbing yesterday. He was really surprised at how practical our usage of hovercraft is.

Quote from an email he sent me -"That looks like fun! I didn't realise that people really used them for cruising."

Now he's suggesting a joint get together with Ribs and Hovers.

I'm not suggesting for one minute that craft suitable for cruising can't be built at home - theres plenty of examples out there, referred to earlier in this thread. And i truuly admire the John R's and Ian Brooks that use their experioence to build something that in some ways, are better than many commercial craft. But theres waaaay more examples of badly built/unfinished/awful looking/noisy/dangerous (delete as appropriate) projects that never achieve anything and just portray us as a bunch of eccentric anoraks.

I really want to see the sport move on, and our craft to be taken seriously as boats are. Or to put it another way, one day i'd like to tell someone what my hobby is without them replying

"Oh, yeah. We built one of those when i was at school, didn't work very well......"

Russ

hovmart - n/a
25-Jun-07, 11:01 PM
osprey 4s in production

Page Two

hovmart - n/a
25-Jun-07, 11:03 PM
try again

H2O MAN - n/a
27-Jun-07, 02:51 PM
try again

Here you go: PAGE ONE (www.athenswater.com/Vintage_SCAT_Hovercraft.htm)~ PAGE TWO (www.athenswater.com/SCAT_II_project_craft.htm)

hovmart - n/a
27-Jun-07, 03:38 PM
i see you recived the my photo of pauls peewit then, i recovered two scats from oshcosh while i was over your side of the pound and took them back to hopkinsvile KY, got them going again , one went to a guy near the space centre in florida and im not sure were the other ended up, they had been dead in a field for 10 years wnen we found them.

H2O MAN - n/a
27-Jun-07, 04:12 PM
Yes, thank you for the Peewit picture - it helps prove the bloodline.

That yellow Scat II you rescued has my name on it ... very strange.

hovmart - n/a
27-Jun-07, 04:12 PM
1 more of paul