PDA

View Full Version : Hello HCGB

H2O MAN - n/a
25-Jun-07, 10:36 PM
The easiest way for me to introduce myself is to invite all of you to visit my SCAT Hovercraft web pages (www.athenswater.com/Vintage_SCAT_Hovercraft.htm)<font color="sienna">[/COLOR].

It is laden with vintage pictures and historical data from my years at SCAT Hovercraft, Inc. 1985 through 1987.

I have not flown a craft in about 20 years, but I recently picked up a slightly used 1989 SCAT II.

With a little work and luck I will hover once again http://hovercraft.org.uk/images/icons/smiley_icons/icon_biggrin.gif

Warmest regards,

Kevin Young

Kipmac - n/a
26-Jun-07, 05:56 PM
Hi Kevin.

Thanks for what was for me a fantastic trip down memory lane.

Looking at myself on Page 2 on the Scat 11 working with you guys brought it all back again. I certainly remember the body filler dust and the heat!

The original Scat was based on the Osprey F3 craft Peewit, a craft that Bill Baker disparagingly referred to as the bathtub. At least until Paul totally thrashed all but 2 craft in a European Open at Woburn Abbey. ( Including Bills )

The Peewit was a very basic no frills racing craft and I went over to add a few curves etc for the leisure market.

Kevin, if you haven’t already found it, have a look at the posting on this page “Cheap hovercraft anyone” you will see where we were discussing the craft we know as the Osprey 4 and I now know you referred to it as the Superscat.

It was great to see the pictures again even if it wasn’t our prettiest craft.

Maybe you can throw some light on to what if anything happened to that model.

For any newbies who don’t know about Scat, they were based in Miami and were without question the largest manufacturers of light hovercraft the world has ever seen.

I was there one month when they produced 310 craft. Yep 10 a day!!

Unfortunately for reasons Kevin and I could talk about for a very long time Scat did not make it. Nevertheless they certainly were interesting times.

Great to hear from you. Do you ever hear from Kevin Bedsworth or Dennis Miller?

All the Best

Kip

Bill Baker - n/a
26-Jun-07, 06:37 PM
Kip( He of the crew cut) It was a Bath Tub (weren't they all back then) on second thoughts have some changed that much, but yours (Paul's) was fitted with a Rotax 250 twin go cart engine 50Hp ? compared with the Kec 18 Hp air cooled or the Rotax air cooled single 25Hp .

A bit like the Honda 250 of 80 / 90 Hp? compared to the TZR 250 of 50 Hp ? in today's Racing.

I seen to recall the craft was very fast when the flywheel stayed on the motor.

O Happy Days come back Nick Low all is obscured by time

Bill Baker

Kipmac - n/a
26-Jun-07, 08:05 PM
Blimey Bill, You remember the crewcut.

Actually the first engine was the Yammy TZ. We couldn't afford the Rotax and the karting lads had sheds full of TZs.

Paul put in the Rotax 2 years later.

Kip

H2O MAN - n/a
26-Jun-07, 08:21 PM
Hi Kevin.

Thanks for what was for me a fantastic trip down memory lane.

Looking at myself on Page 2 on the Scat 11 working with you guys brought it all back again.

I certainly remember the body filler dust and the heat!

For any newbies who don’t know about Scat, they were based in Miami and were

without question the largest manufacturers of light hovercraft the world has ever seen.

I was there one month when they produced 310 craft. Yep 10 a day!!

Unfortunately for reasons Kevin and I could talk about for a very long time Scat did not make it.

Nevertheless they certainly were interesting times.

Great to hear from you. Do you ever hear from Kevin Bedsworth or Dennis Miller?

All the Best

Kip

Hi Kip, interesting times indeed... the heat and dust definitely made for tough working conditions.

I knew there was a reason I kept the negatives and all the other memorabilia from that era.

The "Super" Scat pictured on my web pages did fly.

We took it out to the demo lake, played with it briefly and that was the last I saw of it.

I have no idea what happened after that event.

I'm currently attempting to contact Kevin Bedsworth, I'm told he is still a member of HCA

and that his son raced in Formula Junior during the Hoverrally in Ohio last weekend.

I don't know a thing about what Dennis Miller has been up to since I left Scat.

I honestly just tripped and fell back into Hovering earlier this month.

I would prefer a racer, but would like to restore my old SCAT II for sentimental reasons.

Great to hear from you Kip, I'll drop you a private message soon.

I think I still owe you a large beverage.

Regards,

Kevin

Picture of Kip located on Page 2

hovmart - n/a
26-Jun-07, 08:47 PM
i remember the 150 dba it used to make when it was running http://hovercraft.org.uk/images/icons/smiley_icons/icon_redface.gif it turned a few heads in the open races

hovmart - n/a
26-Jun-07, 10:09 PM
just found photo with paul racing it

Kipmac - n/a
27-Jun-07, 08:30 AM
Martin, Thanks for the photo. I have not got one and as you can imagine it was great to see Paul in action. Much obliged.

Kevin, You have at least confirmed what I believed to be the fate of Superscat/Osprey 4.

I look forward to hearing from you.

I have within the last few hours changed e-mail address to

kip3&#64;blueyonder.co.uk.

Can I please ask any interested parties to note my new address

Kip

H2O MAN - n/a
27-Jun-07, 06:40 PM
Kevin, You have at least confirmed what I believed to be the fate of Superscat/Osprey 4.

Kip, what was the fate of the Superscat/Osprey 4?