PDA

View Full Version : Need advice for tzr gearbox PLEASE!!!!!!!!

Ciaran Cronin - n/a
1-Sep-07, 12:41 PM
Im wondering if i have to cut off the gearbox for the tzr how do i start it if the kickstart is gone? Would i just be better off taking out 1st 2nd 3rd and 4th gear and run it

straight off 5th gear. Need help

Thanks in advance!

kevinf - n/a
1-Sep-07, 02:18 PM
Our TZR has the crankcases intact but with the gearbox stripped out. Fit a pullstart cup to the flywheel and start it with a rope wound round the cup. Power is taken from the other end of the crankshaft, either on a toothed pulley or through a flexible coupling. You will need to make a special adaptor for the lower coolant hose where the water pump normally goes, and add an electric water pump into the circuit. You can cut off the gearbox casing if you want, it saves a little weight, but it's a lot easier to mount the engine if you have the original fixing points.

Kevin

Ciaran Cronin - n/a
1-Sep-07, 02:37 PM
Ok thanks! Are pullstart cups easy to come by

or are they a homemade kinda thing? Im kinda

new to this http://hovercraft.org.uk/images/icons/smiley_icons/icon_confused.gif

tonybroad - n/a
1-Sep-07, 03:45 PM
TZR crank adaptors and starter cups are available from K&M products (and other reputable suppliers)you'd have to drill and tap some holes in the flywheel to make the cup fit

running through 5th gear will also mean leaving the clutch in or locking it and primary drive etc. in which is throwing power away

you dont neet to chop the box off - i've run with and withoug chopping but just think chopping is tidier

good luck

tony

Ciaran Cronin - n/a
2-Sep-07, 12:30 PM
Ok thanks, em will i need to get something to pump oil or will there be enough oil in the petrol mixture?

kevinf - n/a
2-Sep-07, 12:41 PM
Get rid of the posilube system, block up the oil feed holes in the carb rubbers and run it on premix. We use a 40:1 ratio with quality fully synthetic racing 2 stroke oil, others advocate 30 or even 25:1 ratios. Check your main jet size too, generally at least 230, maybe bigger. Raise the needles 1 ring too.

Kevin

tonybroad - n/a
3-Sep-07, 08:08 AM
I agree with kevin, 230's are standard jets, i'd recommend a fully synthetic oil 40:1 running 250 or 260's jets initially and check your plug colour, for plug colour i follow the buiscit rule as follows:......

Bourbon Biscuit colour - getting rich

Digestive Biscuit colour - just right

Rich Tea Biscuit colour - getting lean

also don't forget running with lots of oil 20-25:1 actually leans off your fuel mixture

Tony

Ciaran Cronin - n/a
3-Sep-07, 08:01 PM
Grand thanks very much! I was wondering instead of getting an electrical water pump, would it be possible to

drill the whole on the gear that runs the water

pump to the same diameter as the shaft on the pulley

and spot wweld it on to the pulley and run the water pump that way instead of having to keep re-charging and/or buying new batteries. Has it been tried does anyone know?

Cheers

Ciarán