View Full Version : Geared drive weslake

hang - n/a
24-Oct-07, 07:42 PM
Anybody got info on how to gear the drive from

a Weslake. I want to run the fan at about third

engine speed.

jon_curtis - n/a
25-Oct-07, 06:40 PM
1 to 3 ratio belts and pulleys? no real difference to a thrust drive train just smaller!

seen people use the 1" wide toothed belts on lift engines. with shaft, pillow bearings etc etc

team black - n/a
25-Oct-07, 09:30 PM
Don't use a toothed belt, use a multi v type- on so short a length you're likely to shred the belts if using htd

hang - n/a
26-Oct-07, 08:35 AM
Many thanks for your replies; are you able to say if the parts would be commercially available or would I have to get them manufactured?

Jamie Lewendon - n/a
26-Oct-07, 03:48 PM
You should be able to get multirib belts and pullies from your local bearing supplier, or try www.brammer.co.uk

Jamie

Ian Brooks - n/a
26-Oct-07, 06:57 PM
Or try

http://www.bearingboys.co.uk/

good prices and service over the web

Ian

hang - n/a
26-Oct-07, 07:27 PM
Dear all, I note the output shaft on the Weslake is tapered - do the commercail pulleys that have been suggested accomodate this taper or will I have to get the output shaft machined? Sorry to be a pain but all this is new to me.

Regards

team black - n/a
26-Oct-07, 09:11 PM
You'll need to get one machined, not sure what taper w/lakes use tho'. Worth talking to any of the bigger craft manufacturers.

Paul Fitz - n/a
1-Nov-07, 11:23 PM
Weslakes were made with both long and short output shafts from the crank. The long shaft engines are prone to failure with any side loading applied to the shaft without additional bearing support. If yours is a long shaft engine, I suggest you seek advice from others that have used them previously.

hang - n/a
3-Nov-07, 07:04 AM
Many thanks for caution Paul; fortunately all my Weslakes are short shaft varients.