PDA

View Full Version : what is it??

hovercraftrental - n/a
7-Nov-07, 06:09 PM
A friend of mine has come up with an early hovercraft, no motors or skirt. We havent the slightest idea what sort it is but I hope to get a photo shortly.

Its red fibreglass and some ply.It has folding sides, had two motors , (one push one lift)and has the word "daffodyl" painted on the sides and has had a no 63 written on it.

It has early BP green advertising sheilds near the rear.

Ok, your starter for ten is........... What the **** is it?

.............(apart from old that is )

G

Keith Oakley - n/a
8-Nov-07, 07:07 AM
Ask Conrad Beale - from memory its his grandfather Ted Naylor's craft. An early Cyclone craft (1971?) designed by his father Nigel Beale with 2 9bhp Stihl chainsaw engines. A later version of which crossed the channel (in 72?)

hovercraftrental - n/a
8-Nov-07, 09:47 AM
Wow thanks for that!!!

My friend told me that when he picked the craft up, the owner

(who had got it as a project to do, and never did )told him that it was the actual craft, the first racing craft that crossed the channel!! .... and I thought he was joking! http://hovercraft.org.uk/images/icons/smiley_icons/icon_redface.gif

Somebody out there must have a photo.

have you an email address for him?

G

Keith Oakley - n/a
8-Nov-07, 03:49 PM
Contact Conrad via the advert for Conair in the supplier listing on this website. He was a toddler at the time so he may need to talk to Ted Naylor. I'm not sure it was the actual craft that crossed the channel, several craft of that design were made.

Neil Medcalf - n/a
9-Nov-07, 04:02 PM
I belive this might be an example of the craft your discussing.

Neil Medcalf of Canada.

index.php?t=getfile&id=1055&private=0

rennick - n/a
9-Nov-07, 06:50 PM
Are the motors still attached? I'm seeking a pair of Rowena Stihls as fitted to the Cyclone.

Bob

Don83000 - n/a
10-Nov-07, 01:33 AM
http://hovercraft.org.uk/images/icons/smiley_icons/icon_rolleyes.gif I think you will find your answer in the first line of the first posting on this.

hovmart - n/a
10-Nov-07, 07:29 AM
later model

GavinParson - n/a
10-Nov-07, 12:31 PM
Wow, I didn't know you had a copy of that magazine article Martin. That was in the Sunday Telegraph magazine in 1978 and it was that article that got me interested in hovercraft. Still got it in a scrapbook somewhere.

hovmart - n/a
10-Nov-07, 01:28 PM
here is the original craft , with Nigel Beale

team black - n/a
10-Nov-07, 05:36 PM
Martin... do you have a social life?

hovmart - n/a
10-Nov-07, 05:43 PM
yes just back from the pub , but dont work for a living like some http://hovercraft.org.uk/images/icons/smiley_icons/icon_biggrin.gif

Keith Oakley - n/a
10-Nov-07, 07:24 PM
To continue this 'all our yesterdays' nerdy theme, the guy on left in blue is moi, the guy in centre with classic bobble hat is dentist Phil Conron whose craft Phillibuster we are peering into. In the background on the left is the hoverclubs mk1 race control caravan. Oh and my red Austin A40 car is on the right behind Nigel, on the ground between Nigel and the car you can just see the yellow bag skirt of my 2nd craft Hoveranne 2. Dunno who the other folk are though! Date probably 1971.

The b&w photo shows a production Cyclone made by Lindsay Gatwards Light Hovercraft Co, after Lindsay bought the design rights from Nigel. The turtle is a clue, its probably taken in the Turks and Cacaos Islands where Lindsay lived most of the time.......

hovmart - n/a
10-Nov-07, 07:35 PM
like this, for Mr Black

hovmart - n/a
10-Nov-07, 07:40 PM
more, no stoping me now

Keith Oakley - n/a
10-Nov-07, 08:27 PM
Yea but you're straying now, thats a Stratus not a Cyclone! 1 engine not 2.......

PS Noise level for Daffydol was highest at the front, at 90dba, as measured at Sherborne in '73.

GavinParson - n/a
11-Nov-07, 08:12 AM
You've confirmed what I thought Keith, that it was you in that picture. I'd recognize that stance anywhere.

Kipmac - n/a
11-Nov-07, 09:34 AM
Sorry Keith but the turtle was stuffed and resided in East Grinstead. It had a happy after life though as it was a star in just about all of The Light Hovercraft publicity bumf.

Unfortunately it's career was cut short when it was barbecued in the fire at Ye olde Felbridge Hotel

The fire by the way was caused by an ox roast on a spit made in our workshop by Geoff Vaizey.

I hasten to add that Geoff was not responsible.

Kip

team black - n/a
11-Nov-07, 03:10 PM
I've been thinking about adding rankings to the bully board.... so far I haven't establised how to add "Anorak" or "Nerd" status but......... http://hovercraft.org.uk/images/icons/smiley_icons/icon_razz.gif

Keith Oakley - n/a
11-Nov-07, 04:19 PM
That's the Geoff Vaizey that was one of the 3 pioneers that introduced hovercraft to the Netherlands in '69 then went on to build a sidewall hovercraft, which subsequently resided out the back of Martin Dougall's house for many years.......

hovmart - n/a
11-Nov-07, 09:46 PM
seen the side wall today its looking a bit sorry for its self now