PDA

View Full Version : The End of Massive Model Hovercraft

Modelhovercraft - n/a
11-Jan-08, 06:12 PM

bryan - n/a
11-Jan-08, 06:39 PM
Thats a shame i was looking forward to the on going build. You should have kept it in your pocket like my mother taught me !!!!!!!

hovmart - n/a
12-Jan-08, 09:27 AM
yes but you dont lisen to her http://hovercraft.org.uk/images/icons/smiley_icons/icon_lol.gif

Arny - n/a
12-Jan-08, 02:58 PM
Hang on a minute... have I missed something?

I thought APDevelopments was a friend of the builder of the model... not the builder. Wasn't muppets the builder?

I quote from a previous post by APDevelopments...

<table border="0" align="center" width="90%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td class="SmallText">Quote:</td></tr><tr><td class="quote">
Fortunately i am a good friend of Muppet's and all I can say is that he is just sitting on the fence watching the road rage below.

I do know that he wont be posting any messages here any more so you don't have to worry about that. The damage has been done on that front.

On a brighter note:

As I am a friend he has aloud me to post the progress on here for those who are really interested.
</td></tr></table>

It isn't surprising that people get cheesed off with the forum when people carry on like that... and we are told to be kind to newcomers... I think newcomers should have more respect of existing members and not just bowl in and stir up trouble.

I was one of the ones to stick up for the model but if APDevelopments and muppets are the same person then I for one am glad to see the back of it and as banning people from the forum is flavour of the month I suggest that APDevelopments/Muppets be banned for trying to conn the membership that they were different people. That has to be abuse of the rules and if it isn't it should be.

hover t - n/a
12-Jan-08, 04:42 PM
No Truckersnuts changed his name to All of you Muppets to insult everyone on the board ,then modelhovercraft appeared and then changed his name to APDevelopments .

The man lives in his own F1world its not the first time he has been on the board and it will not be the last.

He always changes his user names and they are all a bit MAD

Have you any idea who he is then?????

hovmart - n/a
12-Jan-08, 08:30 PM
it looks like he makes good fire wood

Arny - n/a
12-Jan-08, 09:14 PM
Is this really the case? He has done this before?

I would like the people that run this forum to note this... one of the reasons I joined HCGB was to discuss hovercraft issues on the forum but if this is how the forum is going to be run then I have to say that it is YOU that is preventing progress and development of the club because it will mean that I will not rejoin next year.

CRIKEY! The forum HAS to be run with integrity... to new members and to existing ones and if this kind of thing is allowed to take place with the knowledge of the management then it looses its integrity and I want no part of it... as I suspect others have already determined and decided.

Please clean up your act and bring some integrity back to this forum... please

Paul Fitz - n/a
12-Jan-08, 11:06 PM
So it would appear that you are only interested in discussing hovercraft with others who meet your own strict standards?

I find it quite amazing that a small group of BB members seem to take pride in bashing those with ideas that they do not understand.

Not long ago two scientists claimed to have created 'Cold Fusion'. "Unlikely" we all cried, but still a few other scientists took the time and trouble to repeat the experiment (often several times over) until they were satisfied that it was not true.

Perhaps the 'small group' should take a leaf out of their book and either give positive re-enforcement to new ideas, explain why it will not work, or KEEP QUIET.

As for changing names after being abused on the forum. I'm glad it happens if the changeling continues to make a contribution. I have even considered it myself after receiving abuse on the forum and threatening emails to my private address. Trouble is, too many people know me because I take the trouble to go to meetings unlike many of the 'small group'.

<table border="0" align="center" width="90%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td class="SmallText">Quote:</td></tr><tr><td class="quote">
......it will mean that I will not rejoin next year.
</td></tr></table>

Sorry to see you go. Goodbye.

Arny - n/a
12-Jan-08, 11:27 PM
Yes I do have some criteria but my criteria is there to prevent this kind of behaviour that ruins it for people that don't want to play these stupid and childish games.

The best forums I belong to applies the very same criteria I do... one of their very strictest rules is that multiple identities are not allowed. There is a very good reason for that as the truckersnuts/muppets/APDevelopments fiasco shows and why this is necessary if the forum is to maintain its integrity.

People need to know where they stand and who they are dealing with or else they won't post and this forum displays all of those symptoms. A few posters but a lot of people not interested in posting because they are fed up with the situation. Allowing multiple identities on the forum makes that situation much worse.

Multiple ids is an absolute no no and must be banned.

Saying good bye to me now is totally premature because I have every expectation that things will change and multiple ids will be banned and actively policed.

hover t - n/a
12-Jan-08, 11:51 PM
Arny

If this is the guy I think it is he has caused bother before and keeps turning up under new names. http://hovercraft.org.uk/images/icons/smiley_icons/icon_mad.gif

If people sign up to post on the board all details must be filled in the profile to stop this kind of thing in the future

You speak about it being the clubs fault,the people running the board do it because they want to,free of charge as do all club officials .The HCGB is nothing more than a club not a huge office somewhere with pay`d staff .

We are the club loads of members and the infomation you seek on this board comes from these people.

It would be nice to see more registered members posting on the forum but hey that's life some post but most just look and say nothing

Trev

Iceman - n/a
13-Jan-08, 05:29 AM
BB are strange places and attract alot of varied personalities.

Whilst I do not condone multiple identities, this guy has done no harm. He is a hovercraft enthusiast and is/was creating something different and new and for that fact alone should be allowed to use this board.

He very well may have some personality issues that causes stroppy behaviour and hence the name swapping, but at the end of the day he is obviously NOT here to be negative or to personally attack anyone else (unlike some others who have been banned).

So lets look at the bigger picture, welcome and help ANYONE who wants/needs it no matter what 'issues' they have. As for those who are negative, rude, unfriendly, abusive, etc, more bans maybe appropiate.

Jeremy - n/a
13-Jan-08, 09:07 AM
I very nearly changed my ID here a few years ago, as when I first posted asking for help I attracted what can only be described as a fairly vicious and totally unwarranted assault from a few rather nasty individuals.

I opted to walk away for a year or so and have nothing to do with HCGB, with the exception of maintaining telephone contact with one member in the east who gave me invaluable help and moral support with my problem (you know who you are - thanks again!).

When I decided to give this forum another go I luckily avoided falling foul of those who seem to belittle anything that isn't within their narrow sphere of interest, and also made contact with a few other sensible members, who are not afraid to explore new ideas. I still pop in occasionally, although I rarely post for fear of attracting the same response as other newbies here get from time to time.

Jeremy

HAVERCRAFT - n/a
13-Jan-08, 04:31 PM
I very nearly changed my ID here a few years ago, as when I first posted asking for help I attracted what can only be described as a fairly vicious and totally unwarranted assault from a few rather nasty individuals.

Jeremy

You have hit the nail on the head.

I think the few piranhas that needlessly attack people on this board are indeed suppressing its proper use by the majority of hovercraft enthusiasts.

I used to post regularly but just don’t think it’s worth the hassle now.

Fred Wilson F3

GavinParson - n/a
13-Jan-08, 06:46 PM
Like I've said before, why can't people use their real names? If they've got nothing to hide or any hidden agenda then they should say who they are. What's the point of using a "username" anyway? Do people turn up at events and sign on as "Hoverboy2008" or something else equally inane?

Wouldn't you rather enter a room and know who everyone is?

It's not so bad if people use a signature with their name on.

So let's all come out into the open, and you crooks, conmen and impersonators just bog off.

Gavin

bryan - n/a
13-Jan-08, 06:57 PM
This year i decided to make a effort to post information and give out any advice with the little knowledge i have. I have found that a personal PM to a question with advice may be the way forward. This way your opinion is,nt splashed across the forum

for the planet to read and debate. I use the forum to talk hover and not because a dude has 3 user names ,has big ears or 3 legs.If a person is hidding behind a user name and has nothing positive to say about the club.Then i would hope the moderator of the forum would step in with a PM warning to said person to lighten up or go elseware. On that note lets lighten up and like the nerds we are talk hover!!

Arny - n/a
14-Jan-08, 12:45 AM
Whilst I do not condone multiple identities, this guy has done no harm. He is a hovercraft enthusiast and is/was creating something different and new and for that fact alone should be allowed to use this board.

He very well may have some personality issues that causes stroppy behaviour and hence the name swapping, but at the end of the day he is obviously NOT here to be negative or to personally attack anyone else (unlike some others who have been banned).

So lets look at the bigger picture, welcome and help ANYONE who wants/needs it no matter what 'issues' they have. As for those who are negative, rude, unfriendly, abusive, etc, more bans maybe appropiate.

OK, I admit that I have gone off on one a bit about this and I apologise if I have offended anyone. I certainly didn't mean to. I really do have the forum and membership at the very heart of my arguement even if you don't think so http://hovercraft.org.uk/images/icons/smiley_icons/icon_smile.gif

The problem is that Iceman suggests that no harm has been done but I disagree. This guy has got upset by our posts, by MY post actually (quite unreasonably in my opinion) and then simply come back on the forum as someone else so he doesn't have to face the consequences.

The harm he has done is to the integrity of the forum... if you can't tell who you are talking to then everyone new is potentially someone who has perhaps insulted others and just doesn't want to face up to the consequences. That way, we could all just insult and annoy people at will knowing that we can simply return as "someone else". I don't think that is a healthy state of affairs.

I would support a move to insist that everyone uses their real name or has their real name in their sig. I would also support only members, whos identities can be verified, be allowed to post with everyone being allowed to read. It should really be a benefit of membership IMO. There aren't that many benefits (I am not complaining but...) and IMO posting on the forum should be one of them.

I have said my bit and hope that the forum moderators take this into account when they next suspect someone of returning as "someone else" and that they take the appropriate action for the sake of the forum as a whole.

BTW I certainly do recognise the effort and hard work that the club officials put in and that the forum moderators and organisers put in free of charge and IMO they do a fantastic job but I also think it is healthy for the forum and club as a whole for us to feel free and able to discuss these issues in public instead of just the organisers discussing these issues behind closed doors or over a pint amongst themselves. Sure... they are elected to run the club and they must make the decisions and we must abide by those decisions but it is the membership that is affected by their decisions and so we should be able to discuss it all in the open.

sixpackpert - n/a
14-Jan-08, 07:50 AM
I would support a move to insist that everyone uses their real name or has their real name in their sig.

Leading by example, that's what I like to see http://hovercraft.org.uk/images/icons/smiley_icons/icon_rolleyes.gif http://hovercraft.org.uk/images/icons/smiley_icons/icon_biggrin.gif

Iceman - n/a
14-Jan-08, 11:54 AM
I am sure most of us use/read other bulletin boards and know that the problems here are universal but also know that a bulletin board can be a great place for swapping ideas and information.

Personally I would like to see this board used more and become a positive and effective way to promote the sport of hovering. Therefore I want to see what ideas people have to improve this place.

The first point already mentioned in this thread is for users to use real names either as their username or as a signature.

I would like to add a couple of ideas:

Long term 'knowledgable' members to be given some 'identification' to make them more recognisable.

Additional forums on the board to include "Homebuilders", "Model Makers", etc etc.

The AGM is approaching and that would be a good time to bring up the bulletin board and to try and impliment some changes. So please add your ideas below this and lets see what we can do!

sixpackpert - n/a
14-Jan-08, 04:40 PM
Hi David,

You're thinking along the same lines as me. I sent a great long PM to the Mods about my views on the board and possible ways to improve it (there are many).

I won't go into what I put but I think it has been passed on to the powers that be for comment.

I do wonder at times how many of the posters are actually members of the HCGB? When people get flamed, laughed at or generally abused it reflects badly on the CLUB as a whole. It is one of the problems of not having a members only section. We're all a friendly a bunch of people (well the ones I have met through the club are) so why can't we just get along on the BB.

See you at the AGM for a few swift lagers! http://hovercraft.org.uk/images/icons/smiley_icons/icon_biggrin.gif http://hovercraft.org.uk/images/icons/smiley_icons/icon_biggrin.gif http://hovercraft.org.uk/images/icons/smiley_icons/icon_surprised.gif

peterd51 - n/a
15-Jan-08, 07:12 AM
Hi,

as someone who arrived here about six months ago I have a slightly different view of the forum...

I found it quite unfriendly to the point that I quickly decided I wouldn't join the club. Also, I've been reading rather than posting for the last few months.

If I was forced to pay for use of the board then I'd join the American forum where everyone seems to be accepted.

My 'crime' was to buy a hovercraft off Ebay and some people can't seem to accept that it's OK to do that.

Even recently there have been snide comments about another hovercraft sold on Ebay to the point of having a go at the buyer who (probably) no-one here knows and who's said to have had a heart attack.

What's wrong with you lot?

OK, only one person made the comment but no-one jumped in to say it's out of order!

You need to accept that if someone wants to buy an old wreck, using out-dated technology, it's OK.

It's along the same lines as the 'modernised West', complaining that the 'third world' are polluting the atmosphere as they try to catch up.

We all have to start somewhere and if that means a 20+ year old hovercraft that's obviously not as good as your several thousand pounds worth of modern craft then it's tough but you need to accept it.

As for general messaging, I recall offereing advice to someone about removing a gear from a shaft and suggested a method of tapping it gently with a pair of hammers (a well known engineering method). Some muppet responded, almost screaming hysterically, about not 'hitting' anything with 'a hammer'.

Obviously he didn't understand simple english as I wrote nothing like that.

As a contrast to this site, I joined a welding forum recently and was immediately accepted with no nasty comments at all.

Everyone gets along there, lots of good avice, lots of help. This forum has a long way to go to get up to that standard.

There seems to be a lot of penis extension going on here...'mines better than yours', etc.

Regards

Peter

Sandra Barlow - n/a
15-Jan-08, 11:16 AM
Hi All,

At the end of the day we rely on people being honest and truthful in both what they post and what they put on their profile. I often look at profiles to find out who they are and base my impression of their advice on them that way (if I know them through the Club I would have an idea if they know what they are talking about or not) But I know at least one person who uses this board with 2 user names but only 1 profile lists his real name - the reason I know its the same person is because he used his real initials on the post with the 'phony' details on the profile!

You will always get an element of those who will not miss an opportunity to belittle others and if they hide behind a username that has a phony profile then I suggest it gets reported to the moderator.

If you want to treated with respect, then treat the board and its users with respect.

I have a user name but am happy for anyone to look at my profile to see who I am - I have nothing to hide. http://hovercraft.org.uk/images/icons/smiley_icons/icon_wink.gif

jon_curtis - n/a
15-Jan-08, 06:06 PM
Hi,

As for general messaging, I recall offereing advice to someone about removing a gear from a shaft and suggested a method of tapping it gently with a pair of hammers (a well known engineering method). Some muppet responded, almost screaming hysterically, about not 'hitting' anything with 'a hammer'.

Peter

as it was me, that gave the advice regards removal of a rotax gear, i have taken offence to your message peter! I am certainly not a muppet! and take this as a personal attack against me!

i Certainly did not scream histerically, and infact gave some advice based on my experience of using these engines!

as you also gave advice regards the possible heating of a rotax gear to remove it, i will take it that at the time you had no idea about what you are talking about!

both heat and the hammer approach in my opinion would damage either the oil seal and or bearings in the crank of a rotax, and would certainly not remove it! the only effective way to remove them is with the rotax gear puller!

have you spent hours trying to remove one of these things with a split hub hydraulic puller? and then amazed at how the gear puller extracts the gear in seconds! NO I DOUBT THAT VERY MUCH?

you are a prime example of what you are outlining as bad for the forum, perhaps its good you didnt join the club! your the person now jumping down peoples throat, for giving advice that is based on experience!

Iceman - n/a
15-Jan-08, 06:31 PM
Ok guys!

We are all on the same side here and we all want a more productive and friendly discussion board. What has been written has been written, lets draw a line underneath it and all try to keep discussion positive and respectful.

If anyone has a personal issue with another board member then please deal with it OFF the main boards and use the PM feature.

Onwards and upwards!

pest619 - n/a
15-Jan-08, 10:49 PM
Yeah chill out!

Without this forum i would never have managed to build my first hovercraft from all the help ive been given and friends ive met. I wouldnt want to discourage anyone starting from where i did.

peterd51 - n/a
16-Jan-08, 07:06 AM
Hi,

not a muppet! and take this as a personal attack against me!

i Certainly did not scream histerically, and infact gave some advice based on my experience of using these engines!

it's the way it came across to me! It wasn't intended as an attck and I appologise for making it seem so, but if you think that was an attack then you're possibly a little too sensitive for forums.

as you also gave advice regards the possible heating of a rotax gear to remove it, i will take it that at the time you had no idea about what you are talking about!

</td></tr></table>

correct. As I stated in my reply, I have no experience of that particular engine but in general engineering it's possible to remove a pulley, etc, by tapping two sides simultaneously with two hammers...note 'tapping' and 'two hammers' and not 'hitting' with 'a hammer'.

It's also possibly to sweat off a pulley by applying heat...if the oil-seal's a problem then pack some wet rag behind it, if possible.

I still have no idea if either method will work on a Rotax, but I know that both methods work on other engines. If you've not used either method then you're not qualified to comment on them!

you are a prime example of what you are outlining as bad for the forum, perhaps its good you didnt join the club! your the person now jumping down peoples throat, for giving advice that is based on experience!

</td></tr></table>

yes, well, I certainly didn't start out that way when I first joined this forum, and I have no problems with a number of other forums. It's the general atmosphere here that's pushed me over the edge.

So, what's to be done, ban me? Or possibly take some notice of what I'm saying and try to do something about it?

If anyone's been here for some time then they're not in a possition to see what a 'newbie' sees. What you take as general banter between yourselves can easily be seen as insulting for someone who doesn't know any of you.

I can't help feeling that I'm wasting my time here and I'd have been better off not bothering, just watching and picking up the odd tip as I have been for the last few months.

Regards

Peter

Iceman - n/a
16-Jan-08, 07:26 AM
<font size="5">
If anyone has a personal issue with another board member then please deal with it OFF the main boards and use the PM feature.[/COLOR]

Its VERY simple; before you click on "Submit Reply" ask yourself if your message is going to help anyone with their hovercrafting problem. If the answer is no, then should you be posting it?

If everyone sticks to this rule and limits their public posting to positive help and advice then we can turn this board around, so I repeat, lets draw a line under it and move forward.

david ryan - n/a
16-Jan-08, 10:43 AM
Well said, David. This board has done a lot of good in the past and can continue to do so into the future. Over the last 8 years I have received a lot of help from many posters (including yourself, thanks) and because of the this selfless help I was inspired to form the Irish Hovercraft Club. The IHC would not exist if it were not for this board. As we are a very small club we continue to use this the facility and are very appreciative of it. In line with many foreign contributers many of the IHC are also members of the HCGB as we feel morally that continuously taking without giving is not acceptable. But it does no-one any good when the posts deteriorate into a slagging match.

peterd51 - n/a
16-Jan-08, 01:09 PM
Hi

Its VERY simple; before you click on "Submit Reply" ask yourself if your message is going to help anyone with their hovercrafting problem. If the answer is no, then should you be posting it?

I'd agree if this thread was about a hovercraft problem but it isn't.

It's a debate about what's going wrong with the forum...(not started by me!). I was difting along only reading and saying nothing but was tempted by the idea that something good might develope.

Basically, as it seems to me, so many people here have no time for any idea put forward by someone who's not been building/using hovercraft for a number of years.

It also seems to me that to be accepted you need to buy a hovercraft that someone else here has driven and approves of. Pretty much anything from Ebay, or homebuilt in plywood, is unacceptable.

I know for certain that I don't know much about hovercraft, I'm here to learn, but occassionally even a muppet can have a good idea. If no-one listens and that idea dies then it's another missed opportunity to move forward.

If I post something and it's wrong, tell me why it's wrong. That's how we learn.

This guy building the model is an example. It looks like too many people didn't understand so they just have a go at him and he's dropped out.

The guy over in what was one of the Yugoslavian state(?) Buffo (?) had a bit of a rough ride when he first posted. Looks like he's given up here too.

One less member keeping the club/forum 'exclusive'.

What's going to happen when the older, 'experienced' members pack in or die?

Regards

Peter

Iceman - n/a
16-Jan-08, 02:05 PM
I appreciate that there has been alot of negativity from various board members towards those people of limited experience/knowledge or who want to build their own craft or buy ebay specials and I can only apologise on behalf of the rest of us about those people/comments.

I/we can't go back and change that and if we have lost any members because of it then thats a shame. But we need to look forward and put some ideas into action to lift the standard of this board and turn it into the useful and creative place it should be. So please lets drop what has happened in the past and start looking forwards.

I think a very important change that needs to be made is the addition of more forums, this hopefully means that those people with no interest of a particular aspect of hovering will leave those people alone to get on with it. For example, I (currently) have no particular desire to get into cruising and therefore I never read the Cruising forum (even if I did, I wouldn't leave anything negative!).

So can we all stop complaining now and lets start putting forward suggestions for improvements for the board.

As a start I think we could add the following forums:

Homebuilders

Second Hand Craft

My Hovercraft

Engine Technical Help

Humour/Fun

And by the way, I can't speak for other 'experienced' members, but I am 37 and have been hovering since the age of 5 so I will (hopefully) be around for a long time yet!

Jamie Lewendon - n/a
16-Jan-08, 06:50 PM
THIS THREAD IS GOING NOWHERE.

HERE IS MY OPINION: (yes it is in capitals on purpose)

IF YOU HAVE ADVICE TO GIVE AND CAN BACK IT UP, SAY SOMETHING.

IF YOU HAVE NO EXPERIENCE ON A GIVEN QUESTION, KEEP QUIET.

IF YOU THINK SOMEONES IDEAS ARE WILDLY OUT, AND YOU CAN BACK IT UP, GIVE CONSTRUCTIVE ADVICE, (NOTE I HAVE USED THE WORD CONSTRUCTIVE) THE WORDS: STUPID, IDIOT, AND PILE OF C**P, ARE VERY RAELY CONSTRUCTIVE.

IF YOU THINK SOMEONE HAS GIVEN BAD ADVICE, AND CAN BACK IT UP, FEEL FREE TO ANSWER, IF NOT KEEP QUIET.

THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH EBAY HOVERCRAFT, BUT IN 99.9% OF CASES, THE CRAFT WILL NEVER WIN A RACE, (If that is the aim)

I QUITE OFTEN GIVE ADVICE, I NORMALLY GIVE IT VIA PM, BECAUSE THEN IT CAN'T BE ARGUED WITH BY PEOPLE, WHO IN MY OPINION, ARE FAR LESS QUALIFIED/EXPERIENCED TO GIVE IT.

David, thanks for your ideas for more forums, I'll put it to Ewan. (The stupid, idiotic pile of c**p forum god!!! http://hovercraft.org.uk/images/icons/smiley_icons/icon_biggrin.gif http://hovercraft.org.uk/images/icons/smiley_icons/icon_lol.gif http://hovercraft.org.uk/images/icons/smiley_icons/icon_cool.gif

For those unaware of my credentials, I have been a member since 1993 ish, and have either built myself, or assisted in building craft that have won or come second in F1, F3, FS world championships, british f3, british Open F3, FS, F2 and juniors.

I am a racing scrutineer, and am drivers rep to competitions commitee for UK inland racing, and a moderator on this forum.

THREAD LOCKED