PDA

View Full Version : High Density PE - Hov Pod Manufacture

Hov Pod - n/a
4-Apr-08, 01:23 PM
Hov Pod hovercraft are now produced using High Density PE to speed up hull manufacture, and improve strength and buoyancy. High Density PE has been used in the past for constructing F1 Crash Barriers and artificial joints. The material is lightweight yet very strong, far stronger than glass fibre. We have tested the hull to take over a ton in weight on water without any water ingression; bearing in mind that water is a pretty dangerous environment, and cold water can induce hypothermia, this is a great feature for colder climates and peace of mind. See http://www.hovpod.com for further details of construction.

hovmart - n/a
4-Apr-08, 01:41 PM
so how much more do they weigh now than when they were made from grp

profqwerty - n/a
4-Apr-08, 01:46 PM
What's it like to repair?

Hov Pod - n/a
4-Apr-08, 02:03 PM
About 20 Kilos heavier, but with the new 4 stroke engines coming through, should'nt be an issue.

Hov Pod - n/a
4-Apr-08, 02:07 PM
It is much easier to repair than glass fibre, we wack it with a bat during demos to show it's strength. If it does get damaged, we heat weld it to repair, quite easy with a hot weld gun.

profqwerty - n/a
4-Apr-08, 03:38 PM
Is it one injection / roll moulded unit, or built out of panels though?

Hov Pod - n/a
7-Apr-08, 10:59 AM
It is a one piece moulding process with integral buoyancy.

Nauti Buoy - n/a
7-Apr-08, 02:23 PM
About 20 Kilos heavier, but with the new 4 stroke engines coming through, should'nt be an issue.

Oh. Are four strokes better than two strokes then? http://hovercraft.org.uk/images/icons/smiley_icons/icon_rolleyes.gif

Hov Pod - n/a
7-Apr-08, 02:54 PM
No, Naughty, 2 stroke engines can also be an ideal choice for hovercraft, some people prefer them to 4 stroke engines, so to cater for all customers, we supply both 2 stroke and 4 stroke naughty. Sorry if I spelt your name wrong.

hovmart - n/a
7-Apr-08, 03:26 PM
so haveing speeded up the manufactureing time will you be able to now reduce the price, to bring it in line with your competion

jon_curtis - n/a
7-Apr-08, 05:03 PM
canoes and such like have been made from this stuff for years! its extremly robust and easy to repair! but a canoe made in plastic is almost twice the weight compared to a glass one, so i assume they have been rather clever in the design to keep the weight down to just +20 kg!

good to see this sort of material used in hovercraft manufacture tho! they are nice looking craft, kinda military looking the green ones! are hov pod trying to get into that market i wonder http://hovercraft.org.uk/images/icons/smiley_icons/icon_smile.gif

would be interested in any price reduction, i have always thought the hov pods downfall was always its very high cost in comparison to others! that and the steamed up gauges lol!

team black - n/a
7-Apr-08, 06:26 PM
easy to repair!

HA HA HA HA! splits are fairly easy to repair, holes are a swine to do a good job on. Early linear PE is effectivey impossible to repair, so it sounds like Hov pod are using cross-linked?

Hov Pod - n/a
8-Apr-08, 09:10 AM
We hope that there is scope to bring the price down.

The gauge panel is now fully enclosed to eliminate condensation.

hovmart - n/a
8-Apr-08, 03:51 PM
CHEAPER ENGINE , QUICKER TO BUILD AND STILL THE SAME PRICE , so with more weight and less power (4 stroke engine) what are the like at getting over hump, 3 up?

Hov Pod - n/a
9-Apr-08, 09:23 AM
Depends on the engine, more in the pipeline

Nauti Buoy - n/a
9-Apr-08, 12:16 PM
No, Naughty, 2 stroke engines can also be an ideal choice for hovercraft,

Inland racing aside - under what circumstances would you suggest that a noisier, less economical, less reliable engine offers any advantage?

jon_curtis - n/a
9-Apr-08, 04:59 PM
not everyone has the same view as you regards two stroke engines russ!

why don't you just give it a rest?

Nauti Buoy - n/a
9-Apr-08, 05:32 PM
not everyone has the same view as you regards two stroke engines russ!

why don't you just give it a rest?

Questions. Now banned by order of dangermouse.

sixpackpert - n/a
9-Apr-08, 05:47 PM
Before this gets into yet another 2-stroke v 4-stroke debate can we just agree that they are horses for courses and everyone has there own opinion, we aren't in a certain Olympic country the last time I checked.

IMHO If you want the kick in the backside for racing then 2-stroke still rules. The 4-strokes that are being used in F2 are very very quick but are no quieter than the 2-stroke bearing in mind they are screaming GSXR750's and are a lot lot heavier, making the craft harder to control (hats off to Sue http://hovercraft.org.uk/images/icons/smiley_icons/icon_smile.gif ). In the world of racing I believe that the majority still want the lightness and easy maintenance of a 2-stroke. After seeing Mr Goldney sat in his camper hunched over a HUGE wiring loom and scratching his head I thought, nope, 2-stroke for me (but I do like an easy life)!!

When I go cruising I would want an easier to maintain, more reliable, economical, and quieter (when set up right, see Keiths excellent noise analysis) 4-stroke, but not a 30hp one, not my bag I'm afraid. I would still want a bit of power for the ease of getting up very difficult banks etc. and for that moment you want a little bit of 'weeeeeeeeeeee!!!'

Just my opinion, let the fighting commence!! http://hovercraft.org.uk/images/icons/smiley_icons/icon_biggrin.gif

sixpackpert - n/a
9-Apr-08, 07:21 PM
Just found this...

You Tube Hov Pod (www.youtube.com/watch?v=3hf9wCWStK4)