PDA

View Full Version : Webcast Trial Today

Keith Oakley - n/a
29-Nov-08, 11:25 AM
As the first stage of the development program for next years webcast service I'm streaming live video and audio over the internet this afternoon. If you go to www.raceresults.info/test you'll see a test page. Your browser may come up with warning messages which may need you to click on a bar at the top of the screen and then click ok. Click on the arrow symbol in the video screen and after a few secs you should get a pic. Its a live view of the A20 near Maidstone Kent (yawn - but just imagine its hovercraft going by!)

hover t - n/a
29-Nov-08, 02:17 PM
Hi Keith

Its working well my end http://hovercraft.org.uk/images/icons/smiley_icons/icon_biggrin.gif

Trev

andycollins - n/a
29-Nov-08, 02:38 PM
Working fine for me.

Andy http://hovercraft.org.uk/images/icons/smiley_icons/icon_smile.gif

Keith Oakley - n/a
29-Nov-08, 03:05 PM
Thanks guys. I've turned off now cos the el cheapo webcam couldn't cope with it being dark! Might be other tests over next few days/weeks but not sure when.

Keith Oakley - n/a
29-Nov-08, 04:06 PM
That was a trial of streaming live video (from a cheap webcam)and audio (mostly the sound of rain) over a single uplink via my home broadband to a server in Frankfurt from where it is broadcast to as many folk as want to watch (capability several hundred simultaneously) around the world. Transmision delay seemed to average 5-10secs.

Keith

sixpackpert - n/a
29-Nov-08, 04:12 PM
Missed it! Just turned the laptop on! Wanted to see if it worked with the Chrome browser. I downloaded it the other day and it has now become my browser of choice. Much much quicker than Firefox, doesn't have enough plugins though.

GavinParson - n/a
29-Nov-08, 04:24 PM
Keith, how about a live transmission from Allington lock next weekend?

Keith Oakley - n/a
29-Nov-08, 06:43 PM
Thanks for the feedback. I'm keen to identify any browser issues so I'll repeat the same test for a couple of hours starting at 11 am GMT tomorrow. Not sure about Allington - I've got a number of issues to sort with the 3G mobile uplink part of the story yet plus I've got a family commitment that day. What time are you starting? (at the Strand?)

GavinParson - n/a
30-Nov-08, 08:37 AM
We will probably leave from the Strand at 11.30 and get to Allington between 12.30 and 1.00.

Keith Oakley - n/a
30-Nov-08, 09:41 AM
Ok its streaming again - I've turned the camera slightly to get a better view plus I've piped in a live feed from a well known radio station as a dummy 'commentary'. Its at www.raceresults.info/test I'd be interested in feedback on how many transmission breaks you experience.

This webcast is being uplinked over my home broadband. I can't do a mobile feed such as Allington yet. The current 3G uplink I have is essientially narrowband and will cost 6 per minute to upload video like this. I need to get a new 3G broadband contract which will cost around 15 month with enough capacity to broadcast 2 race meetings a month, around 6 hours a racing day! According to their coverage maps 3G (the company) have broadband coverage at all our sites except Claydon, where it might have to be audio only.

sixpackpert - n/a
30-Nov-08, 09:45 AM
Working well using Chrome browser. Enjoying Wrighty as well! http://hovercraft.org.uk/images/icons/smiley_icons/icon_biggrin.gif

Jim Lyne - n/a
30-Nov-08, 10:33 AM
Working well in Warwickshire. Should we now be thinking about funding a water proof high quality camera.

Jim Lyne

martyn_bannister - n/a
30-Nov-08, 10:39 AM
Works fine for me in IE7 and Google Chrome - Fantastic!

team black - n/a
30-Nov-08, 12:15 PM
Missed it! Just turned the laptop on! Wanted to see if it worked with the Chrome browser. I downloaded it the other day and it has now become my browser of choice. Much much quicker than Firefox, doesn't have enough plugins though.

I've been using chrome pretty much since release- it's still a beta version, but I suspect that a large part of the speed is its simplicity. Plug-ins may be available on full release but will probably start to pull it towards IE7 speed.

Keith loved the streaming video, but have a few concerns over the fact that Elaine Page was commenting at the time.... any chance your brother could take over? http://hovercraft.org.uk/images/icons/smiley_icons/icon_cool.gif

sixpackpert - n/a
30-Nov-08, 12:18 PM
<table border="0" align="center" width="90%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td class="SmallText">Sixpack Pert wrote on Sat, 29 November 2008 17&#58;12</td></tr><tr><td class="quote">

I've been using chrome pretty much since release- it's still a beta version, but I suspect that a large part of the speed is its simplicity. Plug-ins may be available on full release but will probably start to pull it towards IE7 speed.

Keith loved the streaming video, but have a few concerns over the fact that Elaine Page was commenting at the time.... any chance your brother could take over? http://hovercraft.org.uk/images/icons/smiley_icons/icon_cool.gif

</td></tr></table>

I suspect you are right. Doesn't matter though, will not use IE7 out of principal. Have you used Opera yet? I use on our Wii but haven't tried it on the laptop yet.

rennick - n/a
30-Nov-08, 03:21 PM
Hi Keith,

It comes through fine across the pond. I'm using standard ie7.

Seems a strange way for me to listen to Radio 2.

Bob

Keith Oakley - n/a
30-Nov-08, 03:30 PM
Thanks for the feedback guys. I've turned it off now because the sight of just blurred headlights wasn't very entertaining! I guess there will be other tests over the coming weeks as I develop other bits of the system but at least we know a very basic 'Hello World' works.