PDA

View Full Version : Barry Staples

Robert - n/a
8-Jan-09, 05:20 AM
We were saddened that such a cheerful, enthusiastic person such as Barry should be taken so quickly from this earth.

Our condolences go to his family.

He will be very much missed. No more that distinctive laugh.

sixpackpert - n/a
8-Jan-09, 07:08 AM
Very sad news, Barry was always with a smile even when he was soaking wet (which was quite often!).

Our thoughts are with his family at this sad time.

Jon and Tracey.

Happy Snapper - n/a
8-Jan-09, 07:16 AM
so many people going to miss him.

its so sad!!

goodbye barry.

Rebecca. paul and linda

Mr No Limits - n/a
8-Jan-09, 08:15 AM
It is a sad day to know we have lost such a friendly and cheerful character. Barry’s enthusiasm should be an inspiration to others. His smile and laugh will remain in our memories forever.

A generous man who always recognised the efforts of others.

Our deepest condolences go to Barry’s Family.

Conrad, Louise & Family

tonybroad - n/a
8-Jan-09, 08:53 AM
a true gentleman off the track and a tenatious competitor on the track - i will miss him terribly, we all will

my deepest condolences to his wife Sandy and Barry's family at this difficult time

Tony Broad & Family

Keith Oakley - n/a
8-Jan-09, 09:21 AM
What a shock - I was sure Barry would be racing in his seventies. He enjoyed life to the full with hovercraft racing, scuba diving and (legally) making his own fireworks. He was always the first to volunteer to help, and to encourage others.

We feel proud to have known him.

Our thoughts are with his family.

Keith and Anita

pest619 - n/a
8-Jan-09, 09:22 AM
He was one of the first people i met in the club and one that always encouraged me on! The grid will feel empty without him,

Pete

kevinf - n/a
8-Jan-09, 09:37 AM
For those that are wondering what has happened, Barry Staples sadly passed away yesterday following a brief fight against a particularly aggressive lung cancer.

Apparently he complained of a persistent cough from about the time of the Worlds in Sweden and was diagnosed shortly after the race season ended. He was determined to beat the disease and remained cheerfully optimistic to the end despite rounds of chemotherapy and being dependant on oxygen for the last month. He went in for an exploratory operation yesterday and regretfully didn’t survive the procedure.

I just cannot reconcile this with all my memories of Barry with a smile on his face, first in the queue to help anybody and a good word for everyone. I’ll miss him, we all will.

Kevin & Julia, Matt, Colin & Sarah

Julie - n/a
8-Jan-09, 09:44 AM
It's not fair that such a lovely man has been taken far too soon. It is a very sad day for the Club to lose such a competitor, especially one who liked swimming so much! He was always there for a chat and a laugh, I'll miss him and our chats so much.

My condolences go to Sandy and their family.

Gayle Palmer - n/a
8-Jan-09, 10:59 AM
I can only reiterate what everyone else has said, what a sad day. I don't think I ever saw Barry without a smile on his face, and he always managed to put one on mine.

Our love, thoughts and prayers go to his family and friends.

Gayle and Mark

Nick Long - n/a
8-Jan-09, 11:32 AM
I am so sorry. Barry was a good friend to many of us; he was always cheerful and helpful. Its a great loss to the club.

Nick

team black - n/a
8-Jan-09, 04:29 PM
After so many eloquent tributes, suffice to say that we were all shocked and dismayed to hear the news last night and send our condolences to the family.

Heather, Ewan, Rhian & Broni

JOSH -D - n/a
8-Jan-09, 05:39 PM
barry staples was such a good friend , he gave me confidence to race. he was a true gent and will never be forgotten in our hearts

my prayers and thoughts go out to his family http://hovercraft.org.uk/images/icons/smiley_icons/icon_cry.gif

GavinParson - n/a
8-Jan-09, 06:38 PM
Thanks to Kevin for clarifying what happened.

Although I never raced much, I did alongside Barry and the others who persevered with 447s some years ago.

He was definately one who always bounced back, sometimes literally from adversity and I admired his pluck, courage and good heartedness. I join you all in feeling his loss and send my condolences.

I heard today of someone else who has been diagnosed with the same condition and I only hope they have a better outcome than poor Barry.

Gavin

hoverchaps - n/a
8-Jan-09, 07:52 PM
Barry you made us all laugh and were a inspiration to many, may you carry on.

Duncan Clare and Tom

Brian G Reynolds - n/a
8-Jan-09, 08:07 PM
Oh my god! this is not something I thought I would ever hear! In my not very long membership, Barry has always been there, mostly wet, but always friendly!

I remember the first time I "met" Barry when I was very new and he had just been swimming. His craft was in the paddock full of water when he threw a sponge at me to mop the water out from his craft and I thought it was a warning to get out of his way so I threw the sponge into his box and left him to it!

Later that day I realised what he meant and went back to say sorry! A truly lovely man!

I will not forget him ever.

My heart felt sympathies to his family and friends.

Brian.

Anne Scrimshaw - n/a
8-Jan-09, 08:23 PM
It is such a shock to hear that someone, who was so full of life, has been sadly taken away from us.

Anne, Martin & Jenny.

hljevans - n/a
8-Jan-09, 09:27 PM
sorry to hear the sad news .Barry was a real nice guy a real gent.my condolences to his family and those close to him.

Vortex - n/a
8-Jan-09, 10:00 PM
Well we didn't see that coming...what a sad loss to the Hoverclub, Barry was always a competitive and cheerful racer even when he fell in the water.. We will all miss him, our sincere condolances to all he family.

Keith Linda and the 'girls'

avril - n/a
8-Jan-09, 11:57 PM
R.I.P Barry you will be sadly missed, thoughts and prayers go out to your family and friends at this sad time,

Would just like to say thanks for the times u helped me take my tent down and teaching me how to fold it up!!! maybe one day i'll get there lol x

Sandra Barlow - n/a
9-Jan-09, 08:10 AM
Our sympathy and best wishes go to Barry's family - its never a good time to lose a loved one but its particularly hard at this time of year. Words are never enough.

Sandra & Chris

charfont - n/a
9-Jan-09, 03:36 PM
very sad news indeed he will certainly be missed condolences to the family.

charlie and jill

Iceman - n/a
9-Jan-09, 03:56 PM
A big loss to the club and the sport, he will be missed.

The world needs more people like Barry, happy, supportive and appreciative.

Our thoughts are with Sandy and family.

David and the boys.

Lee w - n/a
9-Jan-09, 04:25 PM
Barry was one of the nicest people we have had the privledge to have met and made friends with. We have never heard him speak badly of anyone and he was always there to help and encourage.

You will be greatly missed Barry, Rother Valley will never be the same.

Our deepest sympathy goes to Sandy and his family at this very sad time.

Lee, Kerry, Freddie, Ron & Gill Willars

Shell - n/a
9-Jan-09, 08:44 PM
R.I.P Barry. Racings not gonna be the same without him. Thoughts are with his family at this sad time. Condolences. Never forget his laugh, and the way he always had a smile on his face no matter what!

Michelle

Lockey - n/a
9-Jan-09, 09:03 PM
I'm speachless, I can't believe such a great guy is now gone.

Not going to be the same without him.

Condolences go to his family.

Kind regards

Martin and the rest of the family.

scott tilley - n/a
10-Jan-09, 01:37 PM
Sad loss to the club great person! Our thoughts are with his family.

From the Tilley Family

Nauti Buoy - n/a
12-Jan-09, 02:42 PM
Terrible news, i only met Barry a few times but he was a great guy - positive, happy and usually soaking wet!

One last picture of the man in action from Claydon a few years back.

Russ

index.php?t=getfile&id=2103&private=0

Mart366 - n/a
12-Jan-09, 09:47 PM
Stunned http://hovercraft.org.uk/images/icons/smiley_icons/icon_sad.gif

Mart

Keith Lovell - n/a
12-Jan-09, 10:21 PM
Sorry to hear such sad news. Barry always came over to chat, we all thought very fondly of him.

All of us at Bearwood were in awe of Barry, still racing past 60 and well on towards 70.

From all of us at Bearwood College, we salute you!

Little Scrapper - n/a
15-Jan-09, 12:02 PM
I so enjoyed reading all your messages. I know my mother and sister have as well. There is no way to quite describe my father. Such a zest for life. You knew him throughout his hovercraft years, but he’d been through so many different lives by that point! I remember the boating and water skiing in the 1970’s, the scuba diving in the 1980’s, the snow skiing throughout. Lord knows what he was up to in the 1950's and 60's! Every decade he seemed to need new friends because they grew up and he didn’t. He did everything in his own inimitable way. You always new when he’d walked into a room; he was a larger than life character. Thank god you didn’t meet his mother, now there was a character, she made daddy look like the shy type… He’s irreplaceable and we’ll miss him terribly, including that laugh even though there was nothing more embarrassing when I was little!

Thank you all. From Toni Staples. x

index.php?t=getfile&id=2105&private=0

Robert - n/a
15-Jan-09, 06:18 PM
Hello Toni

What a lovely description of your Dad. We had my Dad's funeral yesterday and it was a lovely celebration of his life. We had a laugh at the service and many friends old and new came to the wake. For the last 22 years he was not able to be very active, owing to a stroke but I know he would have been off doing lots of different things!

Our thoughts are with you.

Gill and Bob Coles

StuDewis - n/a
16-Jan-09, 06:08 PM
We were so sad to hear about Barry, only known him for a year but in that time he made a big impression on us and we soon became friends, what a great laugh he had, we will miss him.

Our thoughts are with his family.

Sam & Stu.

HAVERCRAFT - n/a
17-Jan-09, 09:25 AM
I have tried several times to write something on here befitting of Barry, but I just can’t find the right words, or is it they don’t exist?

I’m really pleased I had the opportunity to know Barry Staples

sixpackpert - n/a
23-Jan-09, 05:13 PM
Just got back from the funeral and very well attended it was too.

The service was very nice. Some tearful moments and some light hearted moments. There were some tales of Barry's past exploits which raised a laugh, I'm sure Barry was laughing along with us.

Having always seen Barry with a smile on his face it was a fitting tribute to a man with such a zest for life who was taken from us far too soon.

Barry Staples, forever in our hearts.

Jon, Tracey, Paul, Linda and Rebecca.