PDA

View Full Version : Live Video from Magnolls this weekend

Keith Oakley
29-Apr-09, 04:03 PM
Paul Taylor and I are hoping to broadcast a live video and audio service from the UK National Racing at Magnolls Farm near Blackburn this weekend. This initial trial will be available to members and non members at www.live.raceresults.info (http://www.live.raceresults.info) We will aim to cover all the races from around 11 am to 6pm on all 3 days -saturday, sunday & monday.

Its all very experimental but please call by and see how we're getting on. If theres no pic try again later. Feedback welcome

Keith Oakley

atters
30-Apr-09, 06:23 AM
I'll be watching :)

Keith Oakley
1-May-09, 06:57 AM
There's still a software problem for IE7 users which means they may not see updates to the text messages on the www.live.raceresults.info (http://www.live.raceresults.info) webpage. Theres a simple solution which involves changing your cache settings - click on the help button for info on how to do it.
See us at the weekend!
Keith

Keith Oakley
2-May-09, 09:49 AM
Greetings from a sunny and dry Magnolls Farm (Peaches Pad) where we've currently got 3 new craft doing flotation tests on the pond.
We're fighting the usual no of bugs and problems but I hope to get broadcasting practice sessions later this afternoon. The good news is that there is only one round of racing today and thats scheduled to start around 4pm.
Call by during the afternoon to see our practise sessions.
Keith

atters
2-May-09, 11:16 AM
Am I two hours ahead or behind you guys? have been checking the site all day and nothing seems to be happening, the results are there, but no video. Or have you not started yet? Time here is 13:16

atters
2-May-09, 11:32 AM
OK, its working, got picture, nothing go on at the mom. 13:33

Keith Oakley
2-May-09, 11:42 AM
We've been on and off but I think we'll have a picture up fairly continuously from now (12.40 UK summer time). We're fighting problems with poor uplink speed over the vodafone mobile broadband link so I would expect you to see lots of breaks in transmission. Stick with it practise starts at 1310
Keith

mart366
2-May-09, 11:49 AM
Hi Kieth,

picture & sound ok down here in Bognor :)

shame i cant be there

Mart

mart366
2-May-09, 11:51 AM
Quick, Q, which direction is the camera facing?

Im guessing its looking up/ down the course from race control

Mart

mart366
2-May-09, 12:04 PM
Three four :D:D

Mart

Keith Oakley
2-May-09, 12:04 PM
Fantastic - we've reached the south coast!! This is a fixed camera looking out from race control - on the west (left hand) side of course looking on the sat map. When we get going picture will switch between this camera and a radio one Paul T will take around course
Keith

atters
2-May-09, 12:10 PM
:D yay, can see you all. LIVE :D

mart366
2-May-09, 12:17 PM
Audio, could do with some attenuation, its very full on / distortion once the volume levels come off minimum

Mart

mart366
2-May-09, 12:20 PM
what about sound control in west sussex

Mart

Baz Hunt
2-May-09, 12:29 PM
Hi from sunny Brampton! Just sent the raceresults.info link to Katrina's uncle Graham in Canada so that he can keep an eye on her.................
Baz

sweetm2369
2-May-09, 12:30 PM
Loud & clear to Maidstone Kent!:)
Derek Sweetman

mart366
2-May-09, 12:37 PM
How about the camera facing the telegraph pole for the start / first corner, then pan back to the current view for the rest of the race :)

Mart

Keith Oakley
2-May-09, 12:39 PM
Thanks for the feedback guys. Sorry about sound quality I'm trying to improve it but some of it is probs with the way we've hooked into the PA amp and some is due to the low bitrate we're using for audio (20kbits)
Keith

sweetm2369
2-May-09, 12:57 PM
The sound is much better than it was earlier:)
KR
Derek

mart366
2-May-09, 01:04 PM
Link now on scoobynet & pistonheads :)

Mart

mart366
2-May-09, 01:06 PM
Video rolling/ unstable at the mo peeps

Regs

mart

Keith Oakley
2-May-09, 02:10 PM
Sorry about that cos we've got issues with the auto switcher between Pauls mobile camera Paul is tending to leave his mobile camera on whilst walking between camera positions.
We're leaving the fixed camera on the paddock during paddock open First race 1550 pm. Time for loo and coffee stop!
Keith

mart366
2-May-09, 02:50 PM
No audio at the mo...

Mart

mart366
2-May-09, 02:52 PM
Any chance of a race programme, online, i can then post it on other sites, people are asking what & when :)

Mart

Paul Fitz2
2-May-09, 03:13 PM
No problems with sound here in Sunny Ilford. Picture is a little grainy but watchable and some individual people can be identified. Working well in IE7 and Opera 9.63

A well deserved tribute to Barry.

Paul

Keith Oakley
2-May-09, 03:30 PM
Is sound ok now? Program for rest of today tomorrow & sunday is available online - click on programme at top of screen
Keith

webadmin
2-May-09, 03:47 PM
Absolutely excellent Keith!

The video quality is pretty good and Paul should be congratulated on his action camera work.

The video aspect ratio seems wrong - not a big deal but it looks too "tall" (oval rather than round ducts).

Barry's' commentary is still a bit distorted - tell him to move the mic further away :)

The second mic is also picking up some interesting background chat ;)

lewend4439
2-May-09, 04:06 PM
All we need now is some 2-stroke exhaust smell. I've just fired up the chainsaw to get a fix...

Keith Oakley
2-May-09, 04:07 PM
Thanks for feedback - 2nd mic has been moved!! Mic overload is due to pa amp outputting too high a level into laptop - we need an external attenuator - hopefully we'll sort it overnight.
Keith

Baz Hunt
2-May-09, 04:54 PM
Excellent work by all involved. It's annoying that I have to work this weekend but being able to dip in every now and then on the activities up there is fantastic. Thanks all.
Baz

Keith Oakley
2-May-09, 05:04 PM
OK we've shut down now. Racing starts around 11.30am tomorrow, we may try to cover practise from 9.30am but thats subject to testing work.
Keith

mart366
2-May-09, 06:15 PM
Cracking to watch, its a shame i cant be there.

Re the attenuation, how are you feeding the audio into the laptop?

if its via an audio card, is there an option in the cards settings, to attenuate the sound?

If your using a 3rd party capture / sound proggy, these often have

attenuation options hidden away in the various menu's

BTW is the feed being saved to disk? might prove handy to show novices etc, how well there doing on certain areas of the courses.

Also its nice to see how you did :) (you dont tend to see a great deal when your racing ;))

I dont know how difficult it was to set up. and the costs/ net usage,

but a few of those dotted round the course, would open up a lot of the

unseen bits to all.

A fantastic idea :thumb: and all credit to all involved.

PS

I thought the tribute to Barry Staples was spot on, It was very fitting and apt.

Mart

follan3641
3-May-09, 10:40 AM
Hi

Working well here in Leicestershire. Picture perhaps a little grainy but sound is very good. Excellent.
Wish i was there!

Andy

mart366
3-May-09, 10:58 AM
Video stopped transmitting at the end of the F3 race (sun am)

Mart

mart366
3-May-09, 11:03 AM
Video stopped transmitting at the end of the F3 race (sun am)

Mart

Back on now 12:04

Mart

Keith Oakley
3-May-09, 11:18 AM
I had to put some more money on the meter for our server facility in Frankfurt - too many viewers it ran out of dosh!
Is the sound any better?
Keith

lewend4439
3-May-09, 11:18 AM
keith,

laptimes and points tables are still referencing WHC results.

Jamie

atters
3-May-09, 12:05 PM
just caught the last of the F1 race, looking good

Keith Oakley
3-May-09, 12:44 PM
Ok we're still fighting faults - the wind is v strong so the mobile broadband aerial is blown off course - 10deg halves the already poor video bitrate!
I can send video to S Africa but getting results over LAN between 2 pcs is a prob hence no results on website.
Stopped for loo & lunch break racing starts again at 1420 We have around 25 viewers world wide
Keith

Ian Brooks
3-May-09, 12:46 PM
Thanks for the feedback guys. Sorry about sound quality I'm trying to improve it but some of it is probs with the way we've hooked into the PA amp and some is due to the low bitrate we're using for audio (20kbits)
Keith

Hi

Watching in Gloucestershire - video and audio are great... I hope everyone's having a good weekend...

Ian

atters
3-May-09, 02:52 PM
:eek: BIG CRASH IN f1 OUCH

Keith Oakley
3-May-09, 02:58 PM
Yep but the drivers fine - craft (18 - Keith Rhodes) a bit reshaped though!
The wind is giving both the craft and our aerials some probs.
Keith

atters
3-May-09, 03:00 PM
:mad: Y cant I get 3G at home, have to leave the office now, but will catch all the action tomorrow again. Have a great time all.

Keith Oakley
3-May-09, 04:56 PM
Racing has ended for the day. Practise starts at 930am tomorrow monday and racing at 1130. All our casualties are walking around bruised but otherwise ok.
Thanks for all the feedback. Weather expected to be wet tomorrow. Viewer nos today were mostly in 20s peaking at 28. Went up for F1 and Opens down for 4 juniors!
We're off to the disco!
Keith

foster2958
3-May-09, 07:51 PM
Curse you Keith with your evil modern tricknology!!!:D I'm supposed to be in the shed all weekend making significant progress on the hovers. Fat chance of that, you've sucked me in with with your tantalising views of rare and tempting past-times. I've just had to finish off the day with a BBQ eaten with oily fingers and many beers just so that I could complete the proper race meeting experience.

I suppose if I get up really early I might get something done before you start again tomorrow morning.

Huge admiration for what you've all produced for those of us that couldn't make it to the meeting in person. We've all been there in spirit! I have to say it was more watchable than F1 and vastly more enjoyable. Loved every minute.

Many thanks to the team

Kevin

atters
4-May-09, 05:32 AM
here here !!!!!!!!!!!!!:D

Keith Oakley
4-May-09, 07:35 AM
Thanks guys it really is the feedback thats keeping us going - especially today when its cold windy and wet. Paul T isn't available today so it will limited to a fixed camera position probably sheltering under the gazebo outside race control - I've lined several folk up to be cameramen!
On the positive side right now I've got twice the 3G internet uplink speed we had yesterday so if it stays like that maybe pic quality will be better.
Keith

AndyCollins
4-May-09, 09:00 AM
Nice shots of the inside of Race Control.

For those not in the know, Keith is the chap in the red coat, looking a little damp.

Keep up the good work folks, it's looking great up here.

Cheers.

Andy.

atters
4-May-09, 09:26 AM
sound is good, dies now and again, but not for long, a word or two.

Picture is OK but jumps to back and white and a big mess from time to time, fix this by just stopping and then restarting the feed, and now when I did it, the picture was up-side-down, hmmmmmmmmmm, not sure if its sposed to be like that.

atters
4-May-09, 09:27 AM
better now, but no sound after you speak, cant hear the craft.

Baz Hunt
4-May-09, 09:27 AM
Keith/Barry
The audio is much improved but there is a lot of break up on the video. When the camera was inside Race Control the picture was great but as soon as it was put outside the problems started. Also the video from the paddock camera was breaking up.
Keep up the good work guys.
Baz

atters
4-May-09, 09:30 AM
:lol::lol: ok thanks all now understood.,

atters
4-May-09, 09:32 AM
OK, have noticed that if the camera is too high or too low then it is very white, like it is now looks good

atters
4-May-09, 09:33 AM
have that sound now thanks, bit of a delay, got fixed while I was typing, lol

Keith Oakley
4-May-09, 09:42 AM
Thanks for the feedback guys it really is helping us adjust what we are doing. Internet speed seems so far to be holding up at 250kbits over twice what we got yesterday. We've been trying odd things so sorry about poor pics etc but should get better from here in. About to go into a paddock open break then first race 1130 time for coffee!
Keith

Baz Hunt
4-May-09, 09:42 AM
OK. Been away for a few minutes and the video is now looking good.

atters
4-May-09, 10:00 AM
the picture is very white again, all the net and inner grass area up the sky, all white white, can only see the racing line from the second orange bail marker, maybe drop the camera a little bit.

I think it's the sun, maybe a cover over the top of the lens

atters
4-May-09, 10:02 AM
I can here you talking about you oops me :lol:

Keith Oakley
4-May-09, 10:09 AM
Got a better camera on now - sorry forgot about the background mic but hopefully you've gathered we're dead chuffed your watching in and giving us feedback!!!! Its not the sun! its light rain here.
Keith

atters
4-May-09, 10:15 AM
I like this angle, maybe a little left to catch the whole corner and maybe the transition. picture is much better yes I have noticed

atters
4-May-09, 10:20 AM
lol lol lol lol lol, wrong camera

atters
4-May-09, 10:35 AM
Man 78 is flying

atters
4-May-09, 10:44 AM
My picture dies from time to time, the sound goes on, and I get a blue screen, however I just pause and restart and all is well, just in-case others have similar probs.

foster2958
4-May-09, 10:46 AM
Hi Keith & gang

Picture quality and audio is much better than yesterday. Even more watchable - work in the shed just got shelved again.

Kevin

Keith Oakley
4-May-09, 10:47 AM
Yep we've tracked it down - the old camcorder Roger is using goes into standby mode hence the blue screen. He can reset cam to clear you needn't do anything your end - if its a black screen and no audio you need to reset.

atters
4-May-09, 10:49 AM
I got the same prob. Kevin, cant do any work now, too good, man they must do this every time.

atters
4-May-09, 11:13 AM
do the novice class also only get 6 laps?

Keith Oakley
4-May-09, 11:18 AM
No they do 10mins+ 1 lap

atters
4-May-09, 11:34 AM
No shakie shakie, things looking great from where I sit in SUNNY SOUTH AFRICA. Lol

atters
4-May-09, 11:58 AM
Have been wondering, are you all off, Not working to day, or is it a bank holiday or what, over here we start the week on Mondays, do you guys only use a 4 day week on that side of the pond.

Keith Oakley
4-May-09, 12:03 PM
Its the Spring Bank Holiday -we've got monday off! so immediately the weather goes downhill!
Keith

kevthehover
4-May-09, 12:17 PM
From a nice warm and sunny Norfolk the picture is clear and the comentator doing a grand job.................Now where is my suntan cream lol.....http://www.hovercraft.org.uk/images/icons/icon12.gif

Kindest regards

Kevin

Paul Fitz2
4-May-09, 12:35 PM
Hello Keith,

I've been playing with Google Chrome today. Not unexpectadly, the video is the same as Opera (They both use the latest version (10,0,22,87) of flash player) for some (unexplainable) reason the sound quality appears to be slightly better via Chrome. It could be my hearing though :)

Paul

atters
4-May-09, 12:36 PM
No feed, for a while now, when does the next session start?

Keith Oakley
4-May-09, 01:11 PM
Very Wet and windy but final session of racing about to start. Internet uplink speed very bad so pic quality and audio will suffer. I've posted some laptimes - follow link at top of page. No pointstables published - LAN probs!
Keith

mart366
4-May-09, 01:26 PM
For the net viewers,

Firefox is ok

IE is ok

opera mobile, wont display the video,

IE mobile wont display any text boxes or video

Video choppy and stalling at the mo

Mart

mart366
4-May-09, 01:46 PM
14:46 video crashed

Terry Bridges
4-May-09, 01:59 PM
Hi Keith,

Getting it in Germany. Links for Laptimes, Points etc are still from World Championships.

I am on IE7. Not tried Firefox out here.

Terry.

mart366
4-May-09, 02:09 PM
Very Wet and windy but final session of racing about to start. Internet uplink speed very bad so pic quality and audio will suffer. I've posted some laptimes - follow link at top of page. No pointstables published - LAN probs!
Keith

Hi Keith,

Are you sure the lap times are the right ones?

According to the page i have up, Barry Staples raced all weekend

Mart

Keith Oakley
4-May-09, 02:31 PM
oops my error! correct laptimes to end of first round today now up! Staggered that 22+ still watching
Keith

mart366
4-May-09, 02:44 PM
oops my error! correct laptimes to end of first round today now up! Staggered that 22+ still watching
Keith

Keith youve set the Bar now :thumb:

its fantastic to be able to watch it live,

looks like your going to have to add a video director to the club ;)

Seriously, its very good, and just shows what innovation can acheive.

I just need to work out how to get it on mobile formats, then i can watch

while i,m out and about .

Quick Q was the footage recorded? and could it be downloaded or

streamed via the HCGB website?

Might be another way to maximise coverage

Mart

Keith Oakley
4-May-09, 02:52 PM
**************Theres a possibility of additional race meeting here at Magnolls Spring Bank Holiday the committee here would like rapid feedback - please comment back on this thread***************

confusedbiker
4-May-09, 03:02 PM
Really enjoying the coverage, big hats off to you, Keith! What a pity the weather is not good today but at least the meeting didn't have to be abandoned this year!

foster2958
4-May-09, 03:11 PM
The extra race meeting gets my vote - I'll be there if I can.

Kevin

finch5339
4-May-09, 03:12 PM
End of may sounds good but unfortunatly I cant attend on those date's

Fantastic coverage, enjoyed keeping up with the races even when I couldent be there, thank you.

Ian Finch

Terry Bridges
4-May-09, 03:17 PM
End of May would get my vote, can we ensure good weather though?

Keith Oakley
4-May-09, 03:17 PM
Its not just me its a whole team of guys both here and those of you viewing across the world - your feedback has been absolutely invaluable. I particularly enjoyed setting up the audio this morning with the help of Atters in S Africa - a very valuable member of the global team.
Some of the racing has hopefully been recorded and a video on demand service will be set up in a few weeks time for you to see it.
The aim is that this will be a normal feature of future events - hopefully better as we learn and sort things. If I can get internet access there may be coverage from Freiburg Germany next weekend and a US event in mid June - watch out for more info.
Don't forget we want feedback on running another race meeting here end may.
Thanks for your support
Keith

sweetm2369
4-May-09, 03:21 PM
Thanks for the live race coverage over this weekend!
Its very good to see and be in touch with what is happening!
Well done Keith, Barry, Paul and everyone involved!
Won't be ready for end of May, but please go ahead with another meeting at Magnolls anyway!
KR
Derek Sweetman

Keith Oakley
4-May-09, 03:28 PM
Ok I gather the committee both here and across world has agreed we are go for another event here 23-25may
Closing down now
bye from Magnolls
Keith

hover snapper
4-May-09, 08:22 PM
oh no! dad is away on holiday that weekend! (camera man).

Jon Pert
5-May-09, 09:40 AM
Link now on scoobynet & pistonheads :)

Mart

I'd seen a Mart username on PH, wondered if it was you! :D

Keith Oakley
5-May-09, 01:07 PM
I've sorted some of last winters crop of software bugs and as a result laptimes and points tables from last weekends Magnolls race meeting are now available - click on the buttons at the top of the www.live.raceresults.info (http://www.live.raceresults.info) page. Points tables including season points should be available on the main HCGB website when I've sorted some more software issues.
The other good news is that the webcasts from last weekend have been archived ok so you should be able to review your driving online - but not for a couple of weeks when I've sorted that system out!
If the german club can help with broadband access I'm hoping to broadcast live next weekends European racing from Freiburg Germany. More details later
Keith

gavinparson
5-May-09, 06:00 PM
Most interesting watching Keith. I had the A1 GP from Brands (in HD) on the plasma and your live feed on the other screen.

Obviously it was wet and windy "oop narth" and there were a few spurious shots of nothing whilst some races started but hey, it's a start.

Can wait for your HD broadcasts next!! :D....and good job Barry.