PDA

View Full Version : Shannon cruise July 2009.

David Ryan
3-May-09, 08:44 PM
This years Shannon Cruise 'plan' is being put together at the moment and will take place from the 24th to the 27th of July. Once again we will be based at the Lakeside camping park in Mountshannon. This site can be checked out at lakesideireland.com (http://lakesideireland.com) and has full facilities and play areas for children. lough Derg is one of the largest lakes in these islands and has numerous islands and interesting villages along its shores. For the more experienced cruisers, we are looking at a trip up river to Lough Ree. The link below will give some idea of the wide range of possibilities for this site.

http://www.waterwaysireland.org/shannon/

If you are interested in attending this event, please let me know. We might be able to negotiate special rates at the campsite with a large enough group.

Slán,
David.

Philip
4-May-09, 07:15 PM
I hope to be there, again using the P.T. system of camping. Mountshannon on Lough Derg to Lanesborough on Lough Ree, approx 240km round trip, very interesting. I must research a trip to Limerick through the Ardnacrusha power station locks south of Ballina. GP is running again with splashproof electrics, all 'tronics and relays now totally enclosed. Philip

David Ryan
4-May-09, 09:56 PM
I popped up to Lough Ree yesterday. Found a grand little place called Barley Harbour. 6 mt. wide slip leading out onto the lake. Plenty of safe parking, toilets and water.

Philip
5-May-09, 12:26 PM
Barley Harbour is in Co. Longford, I presume the Westmeath by-laws dont apply so John wont get his pic in the paper again. Theres a pic of the harbour on Google Earth, looks ideal. Google also says its 120km by road from Mountshannon. How many locks or obstructions on the Shannon between Loughs Derg and Ree? Philip

epa_hov
8-May-09, 03:34 PM
did you get any videos from tralee at easter?

Philip
8-May-09, 07:57 PM
Sorry Robert no good videos due to a r.i.m failure. Thought I had a good one of almost been run over by a BBV but discovered after that the cam was off.:). I'll put togeter what I have and mail them to you. Philip

Philip
7-Jul-09, 08:26 PM
Here are some pics of the low bridge in Portumna, air draft when closed approx 1.2m but it opens 6 times a day.. The bridge is approx 30km north of Mounthshannon. Philip

David Ryan
8-Jul-09, 03:25 PM
Looks good for a run. And plenty above the bridge to interest.

Seán Hennessy
14-Jul-09, 06:31 PM
Hi All,

Just Re-joined the HCGB after many years.

Regarding the Shannon Cruise 2009, I have a mobile home at Pollagh Point just before Barley Harbour on Lough Ree and we're very interested in hearing more about the cruise in July '09. Any details appreciated.

Seán