PDA

View Full Version : Euro Live - from Freiburg

Keith Oakley
6-May-09, 07:20 PM
Forget the Eurovision Song Contest - this weekend we hope to bring you live European Hovercraft racing from Freiburg in Germany. See the europeans battle it out in the first round of 5 race meetings scheduled for this year. Murray (Barry) Walker will be on hand to explain the intricacies of euro racing. Find it in the same place as before - www.live.raceresults.info (http://www.live.raceresults.info) starting about lunchtime saturday.
Don't forget though its still experimental - expect glitches! Oh and its forecast to rain so wet tyres please.
Keith

atters
8-May-09, 06:22 AM
I'll do my best to be here, just got to get the golf ball in the hole 18 times...:cool:

Keith Oakley
8-May-09, 08:38 PM
The good news from Frieburg is there's about 35 craft with Paul Hibbard leading the charge for the UK in F1, the weather is better than forecast and there is good internet access. The bad news is so far we haven't been able to use it because of a fault on the German version of Vodafone software.
Theres no fixed timetable for starting tomorrow but the programme calls for 2 rounds of races in the order Novice, Junior,F50,Fs,F2,F1. Suggest you call by www.live.raceresults.info (http://www.live.raceresults.info) from 1300 European time (1200 UK) tomorrow and see what we have to offer.
The course is essientially an oval around the water and a grass field with paddock, camping etc under the trees and along the dirt road in the centre of the oval- see satellite pic on page.
Keith

Keith Oakley
9-May-09, 06:47 AM
Greetings from a warm and sunny Freiburg with the Alps visible in the background. Software probs sorted around midnight! and internet speed currently good (300kbits) so hopefully when we've set up and the racing starts (no fixed time!) around midday we'll bring you coverage.
Keith

Keith Oakley
9-May-09, 10:24 AM
OK after all the usual roadie setup probs we are now live from Freiburg.
Practise underway then lunch break then racing proper.
Feedback welcome particularly on audio. Pics should be better than Magnolls we have a 3x better internet connection!!!
Keith

Baz Hunt
9-May-09, 10:39 AM
Highworth is on line! Looking good Keith. The audio is great (Like the music during mic down time). The video is better but it's jerky when the camera is panning. Good work again.
Baz

Winst
9-May-09, 10:47 AM
Hi Keith,
Looking good from an overcast Somerset.

Wayne Hill

Hovercam
9-May-09, 11:12 AM
Hi Keith,
Looking good from Bingham and sound is good too. Well done.

Paul

Hovercam
9-May-09, 11:38 AM
Hi Keith,
It looks like the camera overlooking the lake is suffering from RF interference.

Paul

Hovercam
9-May-09, 11:41 AM
Hi Keith,
The Sony camcorder keeps going into demo mode. You should be able to turn this off using the menu.

Paul

Hovercam
9-May-09, 11:57 AM
Hi Keith,
4 minutes to go and I have a buffered picture and no sound!!!!

Paul

Bob Rennick
9-May-09, 12:07 PM
Hi Keith,

Unable to get anything on this side. (Last week was brilliant!) The screen just 'spins its wheel'. Is it possible that it's limited to Europe?

Bob

Baz Hunt
9-May-09, 12:13 PM
Hi Bob,
Looks like the webcast is down at source. Not seeing or hearing anything in the UK either at the moment.
Baz

Baz Hunt
9-May-09, 12:28 PM
OK I have the live feed again.
Baz

Hovercam
9-May-09, 12:50 PM
Hi Keith,
All good again. Picture fine but didn't listen to audio, busy listening and half watching F1 Grand Prix qualifying.

Paul

hover snapper
9-May-09, 12:54 PM
I was listening!!
its nice to hear barrys voice! feels like im there!!

love it! well done!
hope to watch from home when you are all at magnols again.

Bob Rennick
9-May-09, 12:59 PM
Odd. Still nothing for me. Tried refreshing page/browser, etc. Just a spinning wheel.

Bob

coles2196/01
9-May-09, 01:43 PM
Hi Keith

Have had a great sporting morning - watched F1 qualifying, then switched to Badminton Horse Trials and the cross country on the TV and then have just watched the F1 race - good stuff.

Simon - nice switching off of the box!! :)

willa494
9-May-09, 01:45 PM
Well done Paul great F1 race. Watched from the comfort of my living room. Thanks to everyone who has made this possible! Lee Willars

pest619
9-May-09, 01:46 PM
Working great in the UK, had the F1 qualifying and Hovering up at the same time helping me get loadsa revision done...

camracing.co.uk (http://www.camracing.co.uk)

Jon Pert
9-May-09, 01:54 PM
New Order, great tune!!

Looking good Keith, good work!

Bob Rennick
9-May-09, 01:59 PM
Arggg! I'm frustrated! All the superlatives describing how good it is . . . and I still get a spinning circle! I normally use Chrome but also tried Firefox and Explorer. All to no avail. Is anyone else (from afar) having similar problems?

(You should not have made it work so well last week, Keith. Now my expectations are high!)

Bob

Bob Rennick
9-May-09, 02:03 PM
Keith,

I finally got it to work. However, you should be aware that there seems to be restrictions as to IP addresses that can access the video. What I finally did was to mask my IP. This is what we (in Canada) have to do to have access to many video sites that can only be viewed in the USA. I suspect a similar 'blocking' is occurring with your current broadcast from the continent.

Bob

Keith Oakley
9-May-09, 02:11 PM
Thats interesting - the originating server for the streaming is in Frankfurt -exactly the same as last weekend.
We're fighting lots of probs with ELS and cameras but the internet is solid at 300kbits. Its a more difficult course to cover you can't see the whole course from one point as you can from Magnolls. F1 race a classic from Paul H was watched by 30 viewers worldwide.
Keith

Jon Pert
9-May-09, 02:24 PM
Do they have a boat???

hover snapper
9-May-09, 02:30 PM
hey where have you all gone! it went blank while you were rescuing a craft!!

Chelle
9-May-09, 02:32 PM
hey where have you all gone! it went blank while you were rescuing a craft!!

What she said :(

turnbu3656
9-May-09, 02:32 PM
They had a boat earlier, but are discovering how easily you can sink a craft with a jet ski instead.

Well done Paul, some one lend Mikki a lift engine.

all that course needs are 15 F3s
Dan

hover snapper
9-May-09, 02:33 PM
got you back now!! phew!!:)

Jon Pert
9-May-09, 02:35 PM

http://www.jonrb.com/emoticons/yeah.gif

hover snapper
9-May-09, 02:36 PM
sounds gone now!!
but racing looks great!!

Chelle
9-May-09, 02:36 PM
wheres the sound? :lol:

Jon Pert
9-May-09, 02:39 PM
I see Bufo are there then.

turnbu3656
9-May-09, 02:48 PM
Go froggy (Bufo)

Laura and Adam

Keith Oakley
9-May-09, 02:50 PM
sorry about sound - hope its ok now
keith

hover snapper
9-May-09, 02:53 PM
all working fine again!!

Terry Bridges
9-May-09, 02:55 PM
Hi Keith and Barry,

Getting you fine in Dusseldorf, would have come down but working all weekend.

Able to get you from the office.

Terry.

Fifi S
9-May-09, 03:01 PM
I really should be revising, but this is far more exciting :D

Jon Pert
9-May-09, 03:09 PM
Definitely need to turn the demo mode off on the camera when you get a minute!

Jon Pert
9-May-09, 03:47 PM
Brilliant job guys, like the music in the background been throwing the odd shape or two in the office! http://www.jonrb.com/emoticons/yay.gif

Just hope the pub has wireless tomorrow as we've got a branch meeting!!

Terry Bridges
9-May-09, 03:49 PM
Bear in mind the times Barry has quoted are German times, practice will be 8:30 uk time and then from 11:30ish I guess for Racing.

Cheers,

Terry.:)

Hovercam
9-May-09, 03:49 PM
Hi to all in Freiburg,
Well done for todays audio visual treat. Well done to Simon "the slave" Oakley for his camera work (please turn the demo mode off now! Many thanks to Barry for almost non stop commentary and of course, not forgetting Keith for trying to keep it all hooked up. Looking forward to tomorrow.

Regards to you all

Paul

Fifi S
9-May-09, 03:52 PM
Had a great time - wish I was actually there, but nevermind!
Alarms set for midday tomorrow :)
See you then!

turnbu3656
9-May-09, 03:56 PM
well done the Oakley broadcast crew, excelent footage, what next, on demand replay, dolby sterio surround sound, 3D?

never mind about the lift engine, anyone got a spare thrust engine for Mikki? - Actualy we have a fully reconditioned 809 in the garage for sale, 3200 takes it (3500 Euros)

got to hand the puter over to the kids now for some Cbeebes action.
Dan

Keith Oakley
9-May-09, 03:57 PM
Demo mode s (finally) off - just waiting to see if it goes to stby. Lots of probs with kit not working - serves me right for hitting the remainders pile in Maplin then not having time to test it!!
I'm off to the dinner - more tomorrow!
Keith

pest619
9-May-09, 03:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnbu3656

im up 4 it!

camracing.co.uk (http://www.camracing.co.uk)

coles2196/01
9-May-09, 04:16 PM
Had a good time watching! Not so sure about the SONY camera doing it's demo every so often! Did I blink or are there no European Juniors. By the look of the course it would be hard to fit any more craft in a race. Thanks Keith, Barry and Simon!

Keith Oakley
10-May-09, 07:08 AM
Morning from a sleepy Freiburg! Practise starts at 1100 am local time -10am UK. Hopefully We'll be live from then on. Sony camera prob sorted and hopefully sound also, plenty of other things to sort though.
There is a euro Junior Formula, there just aren't any juniors! Just like last year any UK junior attending one euro event is likely to be European Champion - great for your record of achievement!
Keith

Jon Pert
10-May-09, 09:14 AM
Keith that is very scary, I was just listening to that exact Dire Straits record just before I started viewing!!

Keith Oakley
10-May-09, 09:23 AM
Whats the sound and video quality like today? Its difficult to check here because the speakers are so loud just outside race control!
Its practise now main racing starts at 1300CET (1200UK)
Keith

Jon Pert
10-May-09, 09:25 AM
Barry was a bit distorted/fuzzy, bit like the amps turned up to 11!

The music and video is good.

Just so you know it's not just you with glorious sun today :p

Keith Oakley
10-May-09, 09:30 AM
Thanks - I've turned it down a bit wots it like now!
Keith

Jon Pert
10-May-09, 09:31 AM
Better. Off to our branch meeting now so have a good day one and all.

Terry Bridges
10-May-09, 09:54 AM
Hi Keith,

Sound seems to be fine, the picture is a little bit grainy though. (From a sunny Dusseldorf).

Terry.

Rhi Black
10-May-09, 10:03 AM
Better. Off to our branch meeting now so have a good day one and all.

Don't worry, I'm tempted to take the laptop up to the branch meeting!!

I'm watching, checking no one's there to steal my title!! :-)

foster2958
10-May-09, 10:05 AM
We like the Barrycam - just tell him to be careful where he wears it :D

oakley0296/01
10-May-09, 10:11 AM
There's me thinking that I've got a weekend on my own without any waffling husband, yet here I am listening to him. Very compulsive watching (and listening, yes I admit).
Am about to take the laptop into the garden. Already slapped on some sunscreen.

Keith Oakley
10-May-09, 10:16 AM
Yes the BarryCam is quite useful - sorry about the pic quality on it but it is a cheap bit of Maplin remaindered kit! Hopefully the main camera is better. We've already had to edit out a comfort stop!
Keith

Fifi S
10-May-09, 10:27 AM
I get the feeling I'm really not going to get any work done today, but oh well!

Barrycam is great and I'm loving the german music :)
Thank you Tech Team Oakley!

Ann in orange
10-May-09, 10:34 AM
I was going to ask who chose the music. Interesting selection :)

Keith Oakley
10-May-09, 10:54 AM
We have a German guy who has provided the pa system and selected the music. Its classic euro pop. Racing starts again in a few mins.
Keith

Bob Rennick
10-May-09, 11:24 AM
Hi Keith,

Is something different today? It's working for me without masking my IP (which I had to do yesterday).

Bob

Keith Oakley
10-May-09, 11:38 AM
Nothing different! Welcome to Europe!
Keith

Daniel Newton
10-May-09, 11:46 AM
Hi keith , Bary who won the f1 race ?

Regards

Daniel

Keith Oakley
10-May-09, 11:49 AM
Haven't had one today but Paul H won bothe yesterday
Keith

Fifi S
10-May-09, 12:02 PM
Has anyone else's connection stalled? Or is it just mine.....

oakley0296/01
10-May-09, 12:04 PM
it's not just you, my connection is gone too.

oakley0296/01
10-May-09, 12:08 PM
message from Barry:
pc overheated. Backup being put in its place now. Hope to be back up and running in a few minutes.

Ann in orange
10-May-09, 12:08 PM
Mine too.

Keith Oakley
10-May-09, 12:14 PM
It really is warm here - with sun streaming straight onto a working hard pc it fell over. I've applied fan and suncream so hopefully ok now
Keith

Keith Oakley
10-May-09, 12:27 PM
It really is warm here - with sun streaming straight onto a working hard pc it fell over. I've applied fan and suncream so hopefully ok now
Keith

atters
10-May-09, 12:55 PM
Only 2G access, so video does not want to play. Dam. watching GP at the same time, (no comment)

Must find a place on the farm that has 3G, cant keep going to town every weekend to watch.

Enjoy it over there guys.

loopy
10-May-09, 01:21 PM
OMG, I am so confused, Barry in one ear, and Martin Brundle in the other, oh, it's all getting a bit much.....

Fifi S
10-May-09, 01:30 PM
That's why I'm saving the Grand Prix for later :)

Rhi Black
10-May-09, 01:39 PM
Message from the South West branch, hi to everyone and go Hibby go!!!

Broni Black
10-May-09, 02:12 PM
I am pretty worried that we (Black Family) are enjoying watching the racing a bit TOO much!
P.S - Good luck Hibby!:)

Fifi S
10-May-09, 02:24 PM
I've managed to get a friend hooked who's never seen a hovercraft before and is currently in Sweden - she's been complaining at me all afternoon for her not getting any work done :o

Glad everyone else has been enjoying it as much as me!

EnglishSue
10-May-09, 02:29 PM
Superb!! well done Team Oakley, Keith your a genius, Simon great camera work and Barry, a natural as always!! Have really enjoyed being able to watch it!

Also well done to Hibby!!

Regards
Sue Folland

Keith Oakley
10-May-09, 02:51 PM
Ok we've closed now - its the usual mad scramble to pack up - its raining!
Hope you enjoyed it - more from Magnolls 2 weekends from now
Thanks for your support
Keith

mart366
11-May-09, 07:25 PM
Hi Kieth,

Ive been doing some digging on Flash encoding, used by the website.

Unfortunately it would appear that whilst the general PC based flash

applications can handle the flash encoding, its not compatible with windows

mobile 5/6, so no watching on the mobile for me:(

Hopefully i,ll have access to a symbian OS platform shortly, and i,ll see if that

wants to play ball

Mart

Bob Rennick
11-May-09, 07:31 PM
Hi Keith,

When I finally got things going I had to constantly 'reload' the page as the picture frequently froze. Speaking with several European watchers, I was told that they had a steady broadcast picture. It will be interesting to see how things work when you broadcast from this side of the ocean back home in June.

For your notes, I had the same results when using Chrome, Firefox & Explorer.

It was very odd that I had to mask my IP to make it work on Saturday. I suspect there was something else going on that required the masking.

Bob