PDA

View Full Version : Engine Identification

Paddy
19-May-09, 12:30 AM
Hi there, im a new member to the website and ive just purchased my first Hover Craft but it has'nt got the usual Hirth or Rotax engine in it. Its a Hov-Pod ACX and its fitted with a Yamaha engine, i know its a long shot but can anyone identify the engine for me from the photograph, ive trawled the internet but to no avail somebody suggested it is a PE485 i would appreciate anyones help. 3821

Jon Pert
19-May-09, 07:05 AM
Is that the engine information plate on the top of the cooling fan?

hoverchap
19-May-09, 09:04 AM
where are you i have done a lot of work making one go recentley may be able to help you Duncan

Paddy
19-May-09, 09:07 AM
Is that the engine information plate on the top of the cooling fan?

No i thought that but its actually just a warning plate telling you to keep your hands clear.... thanks

Paddy
19-May-09, 09:11 AM
where are you i have done a lot of work making one go recentley may be able to help you Duncan

Thats the problem, im in Northern Ireland, getting help when your over here sucks. What i have to say is other Hovercraft owners have been so helpful ive had a lot of people helping me out trying to discover the problem. Especially Darren from Hov-Pod Surry, a very helpfuiil guy and highly recommended. But any advice anyone could give would be greatly welcome.

Jonny

atters
19-May-09, 09:43 AM
You have it easy, try getting anywhere when you are on the other side of the planet. Now that's hard. :eek:

Paul Fitz2
20-May-09, 12:01 AM
Can't see much from the photo, i am not certain, but it looks like an early (ca. 1989-91) Yamaha Phazer engine 485cc fan cooled 2 stroke (about 50-56hp I think). In the snow-mobiles they had a separate oil injection system and oil tank and a belt driven electric starter mounted below.

Paddy
22-May-09, 03:57 PM
Hi guys thanks for all your help, now identified the engine as a Yamaha PE485, few problems getting the Hov-Pod up and running but she is buzzing now.

Special thanks to the excellent wisdom of "Hoverchap" "Philip" and Darren at Hov-Pod Surrey.

Philip
22-May-09, 07:34 PM
Great news Paddy, now get down to Mountshannon for the Shannon Cruise , last weekend in July. Its only 234 miles from you. Philip

Paddy
6-Jun-09, 06:52 PM
Great news Paddy, now get down to Mountshannon for the Shannon Cruise , last weekend in July. Its only 234 miles from you. Philip

No worries Philip, im back to work in Iraq at present but i should be back in July

David Ryan
6-Jun-09, 09:12 PM
Hi Paddy,
Welcome to the mad world of hovercrafts. As you know by now, there are but a few craft in Ireland at the moment, scattered between Dublin, Kerry, Sligo, Tipperary and Donegal. As well as being members of the HCGB (money well spent) most are also members of the Irish Hovercraft Club (very expensive at 10 ).
The Shannon Cruise is open to all hovercrafters (IHC members or not) and you are more han welcome to attend. There are a number of posts on the open forum with dates, site info and craft registration for use on the Shannon that will be of help. If you want to have a chat some time, give me a ring on 00353-1-4554248 (home) or 00353-0872507004 (mobile) and I can fill you in on the IHC.

Paddy
9-Jun-09, 01:50 PM
Hi Paddy,
Welcome to the mad world of hovercrafts. As you know by now, there are but a few craft in Ireland at the moment, scattered between Dublin, Kerry, Sligo, Tipperary and Donegal. As well as being members of the HCGB (money well spent) most are also members of the Irish Hovercraft Club (very expensive at 10 ).
The Shannon Cruise is open to all hovercrafters (IHC members or not) and you are more han welcome to attend. There are a number of posts on the open forum with dates, site info and craft registration for use on the Shannon that will be of help. If you want to have a chat some time, give me a ring on 00353-1-4554248 (home) or 00353-0872507004 (mobile) and I can fill you in on the IHC.

Thanks David for all the information its much appreciated buddy, im working in Iraq at the minute but ill be back home again mid July so ill give you a shout when i get back.

Jonny