PDA

View Full Version : new member !

catmanv8
16-Aug-09, 03:31 PM
After thinking about hovercrafts for many years ive finally sold the jet ski ! but now i am trying to find an osprey 5 in any condition , or are they still made ? anyone help ?

firth5731
16-Aug-09, 04:01 PM
hope you have a large garage and a large bank account.
i looked at one and thought better of it.
Flying fish is the way to go a great craft to learn on and easy to sell when you want to progress.
I loved mine and miss it.
but i am sure that will be in the past when the bbv is on the hover.
good luck

falconer
16-Aug-09, 04:19 PM
Hi, I'm new to this all as well, I considering a flying fish or sevtec surveyor that I have seen for sale, looking to go cruising - any comments advice etc?

thanks

catmanv8
16-Aug-09, 05:30 PM
also looked at flying fish,sevtec looked interesting also drove to bbv in banbury could nt find it ! have they moved ? took add off net! looking for something which cruises well but has a good turn of speed , will be used in the sea a lot as friends all still take skis there. would the flying fish 2/3 seater be big enough for the sea ? help!

trev
16-Aug-09, 05:54 PM
Hi
osprey 5s, well there ar not many going around I have the white and blue one you may have seen on youtube and only know of one other member in the club with one in use. I find it to be a good craft but I have had problems in the past ,had to do a lot of work to get it to perform the way it does now.
You may not like the way the sev`s look but from what I have seen they perform well in the rougher conditions that you will come across while out on a long range cruise on the sea.
the flying fish are not big enough for me to get all the gear in plus passengers and extra fuel but that depends on what type of cruising you want to do. long range sea cruising with passemgers or mucking about not far from the launch site

Trev

kevthehover
16-Aug-09, 08:37 PM
Why dont you try an Osprey 1 they are avialable in kit or ready to go

Kindest regards
Kev

firth5731
16-Aug-09, 09:03 PM
if you take a ganders at my thread osprey one build.
you will get some info.
there are loads of info sev builds osprey and the like.

loopy
17-Aug-09, 07:23 AM
bbv are still there. hovercraft businesses tend to be small family businesses, often part time. I suggest you ring first, that way you will get directions and know that someone will be there to sort help you out.

Jon Pert
17-Aug-09, 09:19 AM
Hi, I'm new to this all as well, I considering a flying fish or sevtec surveyor that I have seen for sale, looking to go cruising - any comments advice etc?

thanks

Both capable craft. To be honest you can't go to wrong with either of them. The Fish is easier to store as it is lower in height. BBV craft are also very efficient and quiet. The Mirage GP from K&M is also an excellent craft.

What sort of budget are you looking at and where are you planning to cruise??

trev
17-Aug-09, 06:25 PM
Just noticed a Osprey 5 for sale in this months club mag.
Its a white and red one and the seller wants just under 9k for it.
Remember and try before you buy because the peugeot engines in these craft blow head gaskets if the engine is worn or suspect

KipMac
17-Aug-09, 07:46 PM
With respect- The peugeot/Citroen engines only blow head gaskets when people install the wrong rads and cooling systems,the same as any other engine.
At Osprey we had the heating engineers come over from France who checked out our cooling system Big Time at considerable cost and time, including a 25 minute full throttle test!!
The end result was our system, to quote the Citroen guys (will operate in temperatures when human beings can't ) ie, any where in the world.
Next thing I see is a mini rad on an Osprey 5.

Remember in a car the engine only approaches max revs for fractions of a minute. You cannot drive your car with the engine flat out as other factors take over.
We tend to stick an engine in a hovercraft and expect it to run at very high revs on a regular basis producing a considerable amount of HP.
Hence the need for an uprated cooling system.
Mild rant over. Time for a nice cup of tea.

Kip

trev
17-Aug-09, 10:51 PM
With respect back Kip
Brian R, Brian W and myself have all had very costly repair bills due to these engines and there headgasket blowing capabilities also all craft were fitted with the osprey cooling system you speak off when the problems happened. I know the down falls of fitting a engine that needs to rev to 4500rpm to get 1st lift, my craft was one of them the operating rpm was 4000 to 5500 rpm and would fall of hump if the rpm fell below this limit thats why I started to experiment with different fan setups and modifcations to the plenum,air feed holes and a few other things.
I am now happy the way my Osprey 5 goes and find it meets my needs it now lifts at 3000rpm and this has taken a lot of stress of the engine.
I am not trying to put people off buying one, just pointing out you really need to check the thing out properly before anyone hands over the cash.
Remember 3 years ago 2 osprey 5s were up for sale on apollo duck ,the asking price for 1 was 22500.00 and the other was 20000.00 and it blew the head gasket in 10 min`s at the training day in front of the trainers.
8750 seems like a good price if the engine is upto the job for the 5 in this months mag,
I dont try to pull the wool over anyones eyes because I am not a sheep

Trev

catmanv8
18-Aug-09, 02:46 PM
Just noticed a Osprey 5 for sale in this months club mag.
Its a white and red one and the seller wants just under 9k for it.
Remember and try before you buy because the peugeot engines in these craft blow head gaskets if the engine is worn or suspect
thanks .. any way i can see a picture of it on this site

Jon Pert
18-Aug-09, 03:00 PM
If you were a club member then you could download the mag and all the magazines over the past 40 years!!!

Unless the person selling the craft puts the info in the Stuff for sale forum on here (which they haven't) the only way to see it is to get the mag I'm afraid.

Well worth joining the club if you are serious about hovercraft. Loads of info is available in the member area and lots of well rounded advice on safety etc when you are out cruising. I would recommend joining the club and would not recommend using the craft on beaches, or near SSI's please! :)

atters
19-Aug-09, 06:23 AM
Well worth joining the club if you are serious about hovercraft. Loads of info is available in the member area and lots of well rounded advice on safety etc when you are out cruising. I would recommend joining the club and would not recommend using the craft on beaches, or near SSI's please!

He's spot on, I live in Africa and being a member has made a world of difference to the way I approach Hovercraft. It's like being part of a family that really cares for what you do. Before I was a member, sure they helped out, but the help only went so far. Now :D:D:D:D

Happy as a pig in sh*t !!!!!

trev
20-Aug-09, 12:06 AM
I was just thinking the chappy selling the Osprey might not have a pc and not realise you do not get a free ad on the world wide web site that reaches anyone looking to buy a new toy.
The mag has a member only distribution and will not genarate any new members as you need to be a member to buy this one .
Which means its not really a very good place to advertise from a big audience point of view,if someone goes to the bother of placing a ad in the mag why dont they get a free ad on the club site?
genarating new members is what the club likes isint it
Trev

Jon Pert
20-Aug-09, 07:10 AM
I was just thinking the chappy selling the Osprey might not have a pc and not realise you do not get a free ad on the world wide web site that reaches anyone looking to buy a new toy.
The mag has a member only distribution and will not genarate any new members as you need to be a member to buy this one .
Which means its not really a very good place to advertise from a big audience point of view,if someone goes to the bother of placing a ad in the mag why dont they get a free ad on the club site?
genarating new members is what the club likes isint it
Trev

Good idea, will look into it.