PDA

View Full Version : Gang Warily -TV Ideas

Keith Oakley
17-Aug-09, 03:25 PM
The long term objective for covering events live on the internet has always been to attract new members. The audience for the 6 events we've done so far this year has averaged 25-50 mostly members of the 'hovering community' in the UK and around the world. To attract new folk we have to promote it in advance to 'non hovercraft people'. Two things have stopped us doing that so far - the unpredictable broadband coverage at the site and difficulties presenting an event with a limited no of cameras (trees, vehicles etc get in the way!)

With Gang Warily, on sat 29th to mon 31st august, we know we have good solutions to these probs - the Leisure Centre is kindly offering access to their broadband, and the course layout means everything can be seen from race control (plus one of Pauls radio cameras for the one blindspot 'round the back'). So I'd like, with your help, to put a bit more effort into covering the event.

To do this we need to promote it beyond the club. The leisure centre will promote it on their new site - including Twitter! We need to find ways to promote it on other sites - Pistonheads is one but there must be others. -Scouts, schools, boating, jetski, making things sites etc. I'd welcome members plugging it on other sites - can you use the address live.hovercraft.org.uk because that will give us a means to roughly measure the 'new contacts' That address will push viewers through to the usual address live.raceresults.info. Can club members please continue to use the latter address. Can we promote it on any BBC etc pre event TV coverage - eg a background banner with the address? Coverage should start around 11am UK time each day with a repeat on sat evening.

We need to improve the presentation - for example permanently manning the video switch so viewers are always seeing something interesting, and a relief commentator to allow Barry to have a break eg during paddock opens. Paul is producing some videos to help fill in paddock opens - theres a 1 hour compilation of recent coverage, and a video about the museum event. I'd like to get 10mins of the BBC Coast prog and the Campbells videos of The Raid Cruise for example. Please send any material to Paul Taylor.

I'd also like to include some short say 1 min segs which give info on how craft work and whats involved in making/buying/operating a craft. Some of this could be live to camera interviews on the line, in the paddock etc some could be maybe short recordings we can put on between races. Paul and I are working on how to technically stitch in recorded material and captions in real time.

I'm hoping the Southern Club will come up with the usual commentators box which we can use as a editing suite/studio! - should we set up a panel of commentators to discuss the way Bloggs took that corner? I've confirmed with the GW Centre we should be able to broadcast up till 1030pm on Sat so I'd like to put out a repeat of the afternoons coverage immediately it ends at say 5pm so we can capture the US and 'out all day' market.

I'd like to enlist some volunteers to help for short stints at say the video switch, fill in commentary, cameras etc, particularly as Roger Drew the regular cameraman is on holiday saturday and sunday.

I'm going to be away covering the Polish event this weekend so I might be slow on the board over the next few days. Please can we have some volunteers?

Keith

Jon Pert
17-Aug-09, 04:37 PM
I'd like to get 10mins of the BBC Coast prog

Will bring that to Gang Warily on a mem stick for you, may have to look at copyright issues though.

AndyCollins
17-Aug-09, 07:26 PM
Hi Keith,

Put me down for video switcher on Saturday :-)

Cheers,

Andy.

Keith Oakley
18-Aug-09, 06:24 AM
Thanks Jon & Andy - any more volunteers? What about posting some ads on other sites?
Keith

atters
18-Aug-09, 07:33 AM
Can I put something in our local paper ?

I will also place it on my Site...

Keith Oakley
18-Aug-09, 09:35 AM
Why not - maybe you could start a local club!
Keith

datkins
20-Aug-09, 05:52 AM
Happy to pitch in, will be arriving Friday if that helps with setup at all.

Keith Oakley
20-Aug-09, 06:00 AM
I will be setting up late fri afternoon -come along
Keith

Jon Pert
23-Aug-09, 10:21 AM
Little update for you Keith. The Coast program I have recorded on my Freesat box is from the BBC HD channel. This channel is copyright protected and it will not allow me to copy it off of my hard drive.

I will do a bit more digging to try and find a way but it is not looking good. http://www.jonrb.com/emoticons/cry.gif

It is however on You Tube if anyone can record it from there http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SFAIxk6VIg8

Jon Pert
23-Aug-09, 10:42 AM
Hurrah (ish)! The copy button has now illuminted so I am able to copy it off the Freesat recorder.

But.

I only have 4gb memory sticks here and the program is bigger than that! I cannot edit the program on the recorder to cut out the bits I don't need so I either need to get a bigger mem stick or an external hard drive. I think the external hard drive is the route to be honest.

Keith, if you have a bigger mem stick (16gb would probably do it) I could take it from Fawley, put it on it and edit it down, then send it back to you or return it at Jakes?

ETA: May be worth thinking about http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080221081158AAJ95QG

TechieRoss
23-Aug-09, 07:29 PM
Hello,

Sorry keith have just PM'ed you without seeing this thread...

But I will happily offer my Van during the day for outside broadcast purposes with as much kit as can bring down inc broadcast cameras, vision mixer, monitors and talkback kit so we can all be in communication.

Keith - I have a chroma/luma keying scan converter to allow overlayed text from a laptop to be put over a composite input signal.. as well as other vision mixers to allow more chroma keying, not sure what quality the text would be after encode though... If you like we can do some testing this week, I can emulate 3g upload speeds and encode in the same way.

One bit of kit I would love to have out to play with is a full remote pan/tilt broadcast camera but I need to find some sort of 'dome' to cover it whilst still allowing the lens to swing round. I est it would need to have a diameter of 2ft to allow full rotation and ideally be crystal clear. If anyone has any access to this sort of thing or can point me in the right direction I will happily purchase!

As regards the live stuff, I have some realllllly long cables to handle Audio/Video/Talkback? might be a challenge to get it down to the paddock!

I am happy to pass on knowledge and pass on camera tips from a number of years of live and unpredictable vision mixing so don't be afraid to volunteer to help you won't be unsupported!

Jon - I will work on that episode of coast!

Paul - Do you want me to provide a playback machine for the in between footage ?

Hope this helps!

Ross

TechieRoss
23-Aug-09, 08:00 PM
Jon, I have just managed to download the SD and HD versions of Coast so I will top and tail it ready for GW...

Let me know if theres any other hovering content that wants ripping (am looking for the Meet the British thing...)

Ross

Jon Pert
23-Aug-09, 08:03 PM
Cool. Still a bit concerned about the whole copyright issue to be honest, any way round it?

John Robertson
23-Aug-09, 08:20 PM
Cool. Still a bit concerned about the whole copyright issue to be honest, any way round it?

I have to ask the obvious question - why not just ask the Beeb if we can use a "clip" from the prog with credits (we would be supplying free advertising for them after all)?

Jon Pert
23-Aug-09, 08:22 PM
I have to ask the obvious question - why not just ask the Beeb if we can use a "clip" from the prog with credits (we would be supplying free advertising for them after all)?

Was going to be my next suggestion but I got side tracked as usual. Will try and email them this week unless anyone else wants to?

tall4999
26-Aug-09, 02:44 PM
Hi Keith,
I'll be racing with a digital camcorder (ATC5K) onboard to film my point of view during a race (I'll be experimenting with positioning, as it has multiple mounting positions). Whilst It can't provide a live feed, You're more than welcome to download my footage to use during breaks.
I used it at Claydon and was surprised at the quality of the picture!

I also learnt that mounting the camera on the handlebars led to lots of footage of bushes and trees..

Jonathan

Scuba Kev
26-Aug-09, 05:46 PM
I also learnt that mounting the camera on the handlebars led to lots of footage of bushes and trees..

Jonathan

I wonder why? :p

Keith Oakley
27-Aug-09, 08:57 AM
Back from Warsaw late last night - now I've got 24hours to service all the kit.

Thanks Ross -looks like we've got some great toys to play with this weekend, I'm hoping to learn some new tricks. Perhaps Jonathon you can bring your 'in flight' movies along after your race and we'll replay them in a break - any volunteers to do the 'driving critique' voiceover for Jonathon? If we can't sort out copyright lets leave Coast for another event.

I haven't heard about any plugging of the coverage to non hovercraft people! Apart from having some fun the real aim here is to get some new members - it would be a shame to waste all this effort. Anyone done any promoting? Don't forget to use www.live.hovercraft.org.uk (http://www.live.hovercraft.org.uk) on any non hovercraft sites so we can detect the new viewers. Coverage for the hovercraft community continues on www.live.raceresults.info (http://www.live.raceresults.info)

Keith

Jon Pert
27-Aug-09, 09:03 AM
Will try and email them this week unless anyone else wants to?

No-one? Right I'll send an email off tonight (sorry I haven't been able to before hand but been quite busy this week).

Keith I have put some postings on the usual boards I use as I normally do. Anyone else put it anywhere??

Maybe someone could set up a Twitter account for the club? Any volunteers?

Jon Pert
27-Aug-09, 09:10 AM
Quick search brings up a few sites like this.

http://www.camvista.com/webdir/

Webcam directories. May be worth putting the address on a load of these sites. Not really direct advertising but you never know...

Keith Oakley
27-Aug-09, 09:54 AM
Try it - the sports and special events categories may be worthwhile. Anyone else any promo ideas??
Keith

campbe5177
27-Aug-09, 09:57 AM
I will bring a DVD of the Raid movies to Gang Warily but only arriving after the Solent Cruise on Saturday. You are welcome to use the You Tube footage but obviously the quality is very downgraded from the original
Best Regards
Chris Campbell

Keith Oakley
27-Aug-09, 10:00 AM
Great bring the DVD along- why not take some footage of the Solent Cruise and we'll put that in as well
Keith

beech2896
28-Aug-09, 07:03 AM
Live address mentioned in premeeting press release.

Note that the course has had to be altered due to low lake water level so cutting out the major blind spot for viewing at the back of the lake.

Bob.

mart366
29-Aug-09, 09:43 AM
Hi Keith,

forgot to mention, Links posted on Scoobynet, Pistonheads & Saab uk forums

regs

Mart

Jon Pert
9-Oct-09, 03:26 PM
I have just spoken with a nice Australian lady at the BBC about using footage from the Coast programme.

She says that if you can find the ID of the programme and email it to them then they will look into it. She did a quick search and could not find a programme ID (neither can I for the episode we want) so she says it is probably unavailable for licensing to us.

I then got told the cost of licensing the clip if it can be done. 150 for 30 seconds of footage. This would be a 5 year license.

Will keep digging but this could be a no-go.

yamah
20-Oct-09, 06:53 AM
Hi Keith,

If this is an advertising campaign to attract new members and live access viewers then reaching the largest possible audience with the least amount of work seems preferable to reaching the smallest audience with the most amount of work. I am not being disparaging of all the effort that goes into making live coverage by internet available, just trying to make the effort/benefit ratio work.

Bringing people onto the club website can direct them to the live broadcasts, that's a given,
making them interested enough to get to the club website is what I am thinking of.

BBC or television in general is the first choice of course and they will have their own agenda that has to be aligned with hcgb agenda without causing conflicts or costing money. My suggestion is scour all the television shows for a program that needs short fast high energy content and then feed them high action colourful mini videos each week of an event that concludes with a chequered flag and a smiling winner* etc all within 30 to 45 seconds or whatever the show programmers suggest.

First step imho is to give the task of producing these videos to someone who enjoys video editing, then start producing them each week as a library with *action fit for TV* as the main priority. Once the production is established at TV quality , they can then be distributed as far as you like.

There are enough races each season to provide a mini video each week of "a race" and let the audience know if it was F2 at Claydon House on whatever date etc. The audience is then engaged to discover the differences between the classes as the videos appear each week and develop into a season. There is plenty of scope to widen the content from a start to finish dash, cruising events, amazing uses, and bloopers and spills. The content conclusion does not need to be serious, but the action does.

I suggest making an initial library of around 50 mini vids so a TV programmer can get a good idea of what is available and can RELIABLY include it as a regular segment.

At worst the vids will end up on youtube or in the bbc library and that is some benefit anyway.

The level of advertising that the club puts into each video needs to be worked out with whichever show takes them on, but over a few weeks it will be very plain to the viewers where they are coming from, so less or nil blatant advertising content in each is probably better than more.

Paulz vids are a good start and popular, although too long for this approach. Getting the best 30 seconds out of each race and stitching it together to form a story about the craft, or the driver, or the course, or the up coming championships etc will be the key to providing variety without each story being too much of an overview of the whole sport.
The vids also each need a short "voice over introduction" for the presenter to read or use so they sound like they know what they are talking about without having to spend five years in the club to find out naturally. This is a must, nothing worse than a presenter looking stupid on screen or presenting the content out of context or having to squeeze a poor joke out
it to cover their lack of knowledge. The spiel does not have to be complicated, just accurate and relative to the content.

with best regards of the effort you already put in,

Alan