PDA

View Full Version : Live from Gang Warily

Keith Oakley
29-Aug-09, 08:13 AM
Good morning from a sunny Gang Warily, Fawley near Southampton.
We're busy setting up, internet connection is good so hopefully we'll have some pics up by around 1100am
Live video available on www.live.raceresults.info (http://www.live.raceresults.info)
Keith

mart366
29-Aug-09, 09:45 AM
Weather looks good :)

will pop down over the weekend and see some live action

regs

mart

Ann in orange
29-Aug-09, 10:16 AM
Is there supposed to be sound?

Keith Oakley
29-Aug-09, 10:25 AM
Not yet - we're still setting up so you'll get some breaks for a while
Keith

Keith Oakley
29-Aug-09, 10:43 AM
Sound now on and cameras manned. Can you feed back how often picture is freezing?
Keith

Baz Hunt
29-Aug-09, 10:49 AM
Hi Keith,
Just logged in and I can't see or hear anything at the mo.
Baz

Baz Hunt
29-Aug-09, 11:13 AM
OK It's back. Audio and video both good. Thanks.
Baz

Keith Oakley
29-Aug-09, 11:18 AM
We lost the internet but its solid now (I hope) Racring starts at 1310 UK time
Keith

slinky
29-Aug-09, 11:27 AM
hi every one ive just joined but cant get the live video i wanted to watch it what have i got to do ,

atters
29-Aug-09, 11:29 AM
Refresh, mine did that too.

Hello everyone. :P~:-P~:razz:

atters
29-Aug-09, 11:29 AM
How much longer till we start ?

atters
29-Aug-09, 11:48 AM
The sound, sounds like there is a generator running next to the mic.

Keith Oakley
29-Aug-09, 11:51 AM
First race 1310 so in about 15mins craft will be moving.
We've got broadcast quality cameras and mixing desk facilities today are courtesy of Ross Hammond & team.
Keith

atters
29-Aug-09, 12:22 PM
great first race, the jump onto the water is quite tricky looks like.

atters
29-Aug-09, 12:28 PM
all the red stuff is green. ???? something wrong ???

Ann in orange
29-Aug-09, 12:29 PM
I like the green, very artistic! And liking the nifty camera work, well done guys :)

Larry Wheeler
29-Aug-09, 12:35 PM
Lovely colours havent seent red be so green befor or is this just from new zealand Larry Wheeler

Keith Oakley
29-Aug-09, 12:42 PM
Hi to New Zealand - hope you're enjoying it. Please spread the word.
We had 2 of the red/green/blue leads reversed! Hopefully ok now.
Just waiting for the course to be realigned
Keith

Larry Wheeler
29-Aug-09, 12:42 PM
Yes Mr Oakley youhave it wright

Larry Wheeler
29-Aug-09, 12:44 PM
Barry you swithched hats i see now doing the mike i here regards to all that do rem me

atters
29-Aug-09, 12:46 PM
How long till we get going again, wanto go off line till then.

Keith Oakley
29-Aug-09, 12:58 PM
starting again now - F3
Keith

Bob Rennick
29-Aug-09, 01:04 PM
I normally wouldn't post it here but this is news: Giancarlo Fisichella & Force India are on pole for the Belgium G. P.!

Bob

Bob Rennick
29-Aug-09, 01:19 PM
Keith,

Just a quick technical note: Earlier I was having *lots* of problems with the video locking. I would have to pause, wait a few seconds and then restart the video (always when something interesting was happening!!:mad:) However, since the '15-second' shutdown of the broadcast, it's been as good and smooth as it was from Poland. Not sure what the 'reboot' was about, but it sure cleared things up for me on this end.

Thanks,

Bob

Keith Oakley
29-Aug-09, 01:26 PM
Thanks Bob - the internet connection was unstable but we've modified it and it should be ok now. Let me know if there are probs.
We've got 4 broadcast quality cameras (thanks to Ross) in use with Andy Collins at the video mixer and 10 year old David Atkins at the big camera.
Keith

Larry Wheeler
29-Aug-09, 02:05 PM
;) Nice to racing on net done to a very high standard well done to ALL involved enjoy seeing the action that havent seen in nearly 10 years ,yet again well done to one and all :)

Keith Oakley
29-Aug-09, 02:10 PM
Thanks for the feedback - theres a lot of folk working very hard here.
Because of the earlier delay when the course was adjusted we're running late. We probably won't have a paddock open and will run straight thru to the next round of races
Keith

Larry Wheeler
29-Aug-09, 02:20 PM
Its always the same its behide the seens thats makes an event look fantastic but its also the taking part as i well rem that from when i was involved in the HCGB as course marshal then on to start marshal

Baz Hunt
29-Aug-09, 02:40 PM
Hi Keith,
The HSGB banner at the bottom of the screen is cut off just below half way.
Baz

Baz Hunt
29-Aug-09, 02:41 PM
Oops. Fat fingered the keyboard. That should have read HCGB!

Keith Oakley
29-Aug-09, 02:47 PM
Thanks we will have a fiddle
Keith

Ann in orange
29-Aug-09, 02:54 PM
Tip for Barry - the way to tell the Drews apart is that Nick's life jacket has red straps and Jimmy's is all dark colours. Usually I'm a paddock marshal and we have to learn these things!

Baz Hunt
29-Aug-09, 03:04 PM
I can see all the caption banner now. Thanks.
Baz

Baz Hunt
29-Aug-09, 03:27 PM
Hi Keith,
Getting quite a bit of over exposure on the video from one of the cameras near Race Control by the looks of it.
Baz

Keith Oakley
29-Aug-09, 03:43 PM
Not sure which camera - is it a static one? Can you say which view it is?
Keith

Keith Oakley
29-Aug-09, 03:48 PM
Ok think it was the remote pan & tilt camera - Ross has sorted it
Keith

Ann in orange
29-Aug-09, 03:49 PM
To Barry again - I did once suggest that when team members look alike, one of them should be required to grow a big moustache, but oddly no one went for it :)

And the over-exposed camera looks fine after that adjustment.

Baz Hunt
29-Aug-09, 03:52 PM
Beat me to it Ann (About the camera that is).

Ann in orange
29-Aug-09, 04:04 PM
Has everybody else lost the coverage now or is it just me?

Bob Rennick
29-Aug-09, 04:04 PM
Everything is gone! You all disappeared!

Bob

Baz Hunt
29-Aug-09, 04:10 PM
Must be an internet uplink problem.
Baz

Keith Oakley
29-Aug-09, 04:20 PM
The internet uplink has gone poorly - is it still excessively buffering?
Keith

Ann in orange
29-Aug-09, 04:27 PM
I don't know what excessively buffering means but if it means it freezes every few seconds and the twirling round in a circle graphic appears, then yes.

Ann in orange
29-Aug-09, 04:28 PM
I haven't got a picture at all at the moment and the audio stops and starts.

mart366
29-Aug-09, 04:32 PM
I thought my phone was problematic :(
turns out you have a poorly net connection..

It started during the F2 race, and has got progressively worse

Video feed starts then buffers then just freezes.

Audio is likewise

Mart

Keith Oakley
29-Aug-09, 04:33 PM
Yes thats the symptoms of my uplink probs - I can't find the cause at present - 1 last Open race to go
Keith

Ann in orange
29-Aug-09, 04:37 PM
Well it's working fine now *cross fingers*

Keith Oakley
29-Aug-09, 04:45 PM
At the end of the last open race we are going to close down operations from here and switch to recorded output from Paul Taylors van across the site. That will hopefully include a recording of previous races, a news article on the recent museum opening and a rerun of todays racing.
There will be a break of say 10mins whilst we switchover
Keith

Keith Oakley
29-Aug-09, 04:57 PM
We think we're streaming from Pauls van but we can't check it here - anyone getting anything?
Keith

Bob Rennick
29-Aug-09, 05:03 PM
Nothing on my end.

Bob

Baz Hunt
29-Aug-09, 05:16 PM
Nope. 'fraid not Keith. I lost all feed during your signoff.
Baz

Baz Hunt
29-Aug-09, 05:34 PM
Now it's there.
Baz

Keith Oakley
29-Aug-09, 05:38 PM
Ok we have now (finally) switched over to the recorded service from Pauls motor caravan!
His programme for this evening is:
1 hour video of 40 years of HCGB history (just started)
News video of recent Museum 50th celebrations
Replay of todays racing
Enjoy
See you tomorrow morning around 1100am UK
Keith

Ann in orange
29-Aug-09, 06:15 PM
Loving the 40th Anniversary video. Drivers who complain about the current courses being too tight and bumpy should be made to watch the early 80's footage! And where did all the twin duct craft go?

Ann in orange
29-Aug-09, 06:55 PM
In case anyone is still monitoring this, since the replay started I've had pictures but no sound.

edit - works now, Thank you :)

Keith Oakley
30-Aug-09, 07:34 AM
I'm afraid everything was running on auto last night - so we weren't checking the board.
Its dry but a bit overcast this morning. We should be on by 1100am UK, first race scheduled for 1130.
I've found a fix for Slinkys prob. Basically if you get a plain white square with an error graphic where the video ought to be the fix seems to be to reload your Adobe Flash Player by downloading it from the Adobe website
Keith

Keith Oakley
30-Aug-09, 10:00 AM
We're streaming again - because theres nothing happening on the course at present we're streaming Paul Taylors video of 40 years of hovering.
We'll switch to live when the racing starts
Keith

Larry Wheeler
30-Aug-09, 10:12 AM
Eveing to on and all well evening here anyway Keith what you are play at the moment the sound is pritty poor :(

Keith Oakley
30-Aug-09, 10:31 AM
We've now switched to live - first F503 race expected to start in 10-15mins. Larry is the sound ok now?
Keith

Larry Wheeler
30-Aug-09, 10:34 AM
10.30pm here nice to see all the fun again lol

Ann in orange
30-Aug-09, 10:40 AM
The sound is ok but there is background noise like a very small helicopter and occasional little beeping noises.

And what did happen in practice this morning?

Larry Wheeler
30-Aug-09, 10:43 AM
Whos getting all clever with the banner at the bottom now then

Ann in orange
30-Aug-09, 10:53 AM
I don't have any sound at the moment.

Larry Wheeler
30-Aug-09, 10:57 AM
We hve picture but no sound vroooooooooooomm vrrrrrrrrroom :(

Keith Oakley
30-Aug-09, 11:09 AM
Sound should be ok now - any feedback?
Keith

Ann in orange
30-Aug-09, 11:11 AM
Sound is back, still got the helicopter noise in the background though. Pictures are great, really good camera work.

Larry Wheeler
30-Aug-09, 11:19 AM
Sound ok down under and picture all good as well ;)

Keith Oakley
30-Aug-09, 11:44 AM
Cameras, video mixing and captions today are all being driven by a rota of teenage club members. They are taking turns to be trained on each of the jobs by Ross Hammond and team.
Keith

Larry Wheeler
30-Aug-09, 12:04 PM
Well its a good evening from me here in NZ some of us have got to go to work in the morning and dont have an extra day of play .Well done to all involved bring the racing to the net regardes to all .I'll be back tomorrow Larry Wheeler

Keith Oakley
30-Aug-09, 12:09 PM
Thanks for watching - don't forget all this weekends racing will be avaible on the replay service in a few days time - www.replay.raceresults.info (http://www.replay.raceresults.info)
Keith

Ann in orange
30-Aug-09, 01:38 PM
No sound again.

edit - back now

Ann in orange
30-Aug-09, 01:43 PM
Could Barry recap the final places for that 503 race. Thank you.

edit - thanks Barry :)

Keith Oakley
30-Aug-09, 03:51 PM
Racing on sunday now finished. Laptimes and points tables are now available, click on buttons at top of live page.
See you mon am - coverage starting about 1100am, first race starts 1130am UK time
Keith

Keith Oakley
31-Aug-09, 09:25 AM
We've started broadcasting the practise. Commentary still being set up. First race scheduled for 1130 am UK Time
Keith

atters
31-Aug-09, 09:52 AM
video from 19footsack on now.

Larry Wheeler
31-Aug-09, 10:22 AM
morning Keith and barry dont know if you can read this but we seem to have that hellecoptor back again

TechieRoss
31-Aug-09, 10:42 AM
Hello larry,

I have listened to the internet feed and can hear the helicopter noise, I believe its being caused be the additional load on the race control generator.

Not a great deal we can do I'm afraid...

Ross

Larry Wheeler
31-Aug-09, 11:03 AM
no prob just letting you know

Larry Wheeler
31-Aug-09, 11:13 AM
Nice camera shot from the static camera at Fawely road end

Ann in orange
31-Aug-09, 11:59 AM
That camera which looks back towards the grid is very overexposed again. Too bright!

atters
31-Aug-09, 12:10 PM
are we done for the day?

Keith Oakley
31-Aug-09, 12:14 PM
Nope theres one more full round of racing starting at 1420 UK - click on progrmme at top of pge for details
Anne - we're working on the camera. Going to show DVD now for most of paddock break
Keith

atters
31-Aug-09, 12:24 PM
this old footage is great :D:D:D

Where did you get it all from?

Keith Oakley
31-Aug-09, 12:35 PM
Paul Taylor collected it for the clubs 40th anniversary a couple of years ago. It covers the period 1967-2007 - availble to buy from Paul
Keith

atters
31-Aug-09, 12:39 PM
Its just finishing, WOW :eek: we sure have come a long way since the early pioneers.

tilley3805
31-Aug-09, 02:10 PM
Hi Keith

Just trying to help would it be possible to narrow the banner down as you do seem to loose some of the action.

Thanks Tom

Great Work

Ann in orange
31-Aug-09, 02:35 PM
All gone black!

Keith Oakley
31-Aug-09, 02:57 PM
Back on - computer overheated!
Keith

Keith Oakley
31-Aug-09, 03:08 PM
Racing now finished.
Keith

gavinparson
31-Aug-09, 03:33 PM
We settled down to watch the two horse F1 race and the feed went on the 1 minute board!!! :( Never got it back after that.

TechieRoss
31-Aug-09, 09:42 PM
I'd just like to say a big thank-you to everyone that assisted with the outside broadcast ...
Littlepaul for assisting in training and technical babysitting!
Andy for being dropped in at the deep end vision mixing
David for being very enthusiastic and operating a camera far bigger than him!
Jessica, Phil and Matt for getting hands on and giving it a go!
Roger Drew for camera work today
Keith for maintaining the uplink against most odds!

It really wouldn't have been possible without all this assistance and hopefully we can scale down some operations to make it possible at every race meeting whilst making it more and more professional.

Please please please spread the word so we can get others interested!

Ross

sweetm2369
31-Aug-09, 10:05 PM
I dropped by on Saturday and took a few pictures of the Webcast team and equipment it looked like an outside broadcast unit so very many cables!
Well done!
Derek Sweetman

atters
1-Sep-09, 06:35 AM
just a big well done !!!!!!

to everyone who makes the events such a success....

I am loving this year !!!!!!! Only thanks to you lot...
:d:d:d:d:d:d:d:d:d:d:d:d:d:d:d:d:d:d:d:d:d:d:d:d:d :d:d:d

Ann in orange
1-Sep-09, 09:02 AM
I second that.

And a round of applause for the marshalls who must be completely knackered, particularly after the reduced/cancelled breaks.

AndyCollins
1-Sep-09, 11:41 AM
I'd just like to say a big thank-you to everyone that assisted with the outside broadcast ...

Well I for one had a great time. It was nice to have a go and I hope we did a good job. I second the idea of trying to do this for each race and I'm sure we will get even slicker.

Cheers,

Andy.

Keith Oakley
4-Sep-09, 01:30 PM
My thanks to Ross and his team for a truly awesome job with the cameras at Gang Warily. We really have some fantastic expertise within the club.

I've posted a video of sundays racing on the replay site - www.replay.raceresults.info (http://www.replay.raceresults.info) I particularly recommend watching it in full screen mode - just click on the little square at the right hand side on the bottom of the video box. The other days plus Warsaw coverage will be posted over the next few days.

We still need to expand our viewing figures if we are to attract new members via this route. Viewers averaged the usual 25-50 peaking at 43 on sunday afternoon. We hope to put a 'trailer' plugging Towcester on YouTube but other promo ideas would be welcome.

Keith

drew1712
5-Sep-09, 02:43 PM
It is 15.43 Saturday and I'm not getting any video at all. Is it still up?

Keith Oakley
5-Sep-09, 04:31 PM
The 'live' isn't but all 3 days of GW are now on the replay service - www.replay.raceresults.info (http://www.replay.raceresults.info) and click on appropriate Gang Warily day.

Keith

Rhi Black
6-Sep-09, 02:23 PM
Keith,

The slider bar on Monday's replay doesn't appear to be working.

Keith Oakley
6-Sep-09, 03:35 PM
Rhi
No it isn't and there isn't an indication of the length of the .flv file (eg 300mins) on the right hand side of the video player. I think its because the computer producing it overheated and crashed and thus didn't close the file properly. I've tried repairing it with my limited .flv skills but failed. Anyone out there know how to fix it? - its a bit exhausting having to sit through the entire video without a fast forward!
Keith

drew1712
6-Sep-09, 05:03 PM
Is it me? I'm still getting a blank square where the video should be. I have tried all three days and also previous meetings and get the same.

Roger

Keith Oakley
6-Sep-09, 07:09 PM
If its a blank white square with just a little logo in the top left hand corner then download and install a new adobe player from : http://www.adobe.com/products/flashplayer/

That seemed to fix a similar prob someone had on the live service last week
Keith

turnbu3656
6-Sep-09, 07:40 PM
I've had the same problem, blank screen with a little white box with coloured shapes in the top left hand corner, 15 mins of downloading adobe 10 has now allowed it to play, but Mondays footage dosn't appear to have a slider and only restarts from the begining. could be a long night

Dan

Keith Oakley
6-Sep-09, 08:09 PM
The prob with mondays I think is because the laptop overheated, shut down, and didn't close the file properly. Hence the player doesn't know the length of the file and the slider doesn't work. I haven't found a way to fix it. To save you a long sleepless night this happened I think before the F1 2 mo race, so the 2nd F1, FJ and Open races won't be on the end of the file.
Keith

drew1712
7-Sep-09, 01:20 PM
Many thanks for that tip Keith, all now ok.
Interesting to see the difference in definition and colour balance between the various cameras. I guess we need half a dozen of those pro jobies!