PDA

View Full Version : Hovercraft school project

Ross Floyd
5-Jan-10, 04:09 PM
Here is one for the home constructors !!

I've just been approached by a retired lecturer at a local further education college. As an 'enrichment' project he has been asked to run a project to make and then operate a 2 seater hovercraft.

At present the design is is an open book - I don't think they intend to go on open water with it but they will want it to work reliably and for more than a few minutes.

Budget is 1000 all in.

I've been asked to help with information and a source of plans & parts.

Can anyone suggest an easy to build craft, inexpensive engine/s and skirt.

Are there any kits suitable for this sort of low key project?

The Eagle 1 looks to be a good bet but are there any others to consider?

Any advice or help greatly appreciated!

Ross

terry5751
5-Jan-10, 04:50 PM
Ross,
I've got a set of plans for a Scarab craft from the 80's but I'm not sure that it would be classed as a two seater although I'm sure you could seat one behind the other.

It's constructed using ply and I believe the west epoxy/fibreglass system.

If you want them let me know. I'd rather they went to someone who will use them as they're only sitting gathering dust.

Steve

curtis5420
5-Jan-10, 06:24 PM
why not get them to build a challenger, if you increase the freeboard they fly ok.

kevthehover flew around in his modified challenger quite happily?

if they have access to a machine shop and beg borrow bits, it could be done for under a grand.

where is this school near bristol?

broad5186
5-Jan-10, 09:06 PM
my very first craft was a college 'enrichment' project in 2000/2001 and my life changed cos i got hooked on them lol - we built an osprey for 1000 so they are on the right lines - i ended up buying it from the college

by the way it's still running and raced in F3 last year

perhaps buying a 2nd hand craft or used hull may be an option rather than a heavy plan built craft

tony

kevthehover
5-Jan-10, 10:02 PM
Hi,

Have a look and see if you would like to know more send me a pm i have pics about the build and i may be able to help you.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bIL0k5ccC9Y

Kindest regards

Kev

Ps just sold this craft and they are haveing loads of fun so it should still be seen flying about.

Ross Floyd
5-Jan-10, 10:12 PM
Its Radstock College - about 15 miles south of Bristol

curtis5420
6-Jan-10, 07:46 AM
thats where my mrs works, i would be happy to offer any help i can ross! :) should i speak to ray?

might be able to make the odd wednesday afternoon, think thats the enrichment day?

they can borrow my copy of the constructors guide, and i have a very good skirt template for a challenger, which really works well!

i still have my aluminium challenger, which i can bring upto the college so they can see a finished craft, and even have a fly in it :)

Ross Floyd
6-Jan-10, 08:13 AM
Thanks Jon, I've PM'd you but -- yes please.

I think we now have enough suggestions to get things under way for them. However the more suggestions the better so please don't stop !

All we need to do now is get the Daily Express involved again :-)

I'm doing a demo for Backwell School later in the year, so that's two schools.

Its great to see so many people keen to involve kids in this business.

Ross