PDA

View Full Version : names for your hovercraft

watchbuyeruk
5-Jan-10, 07:59 PM
hi all, i just registered my marlin with ssr and they asked me to name the craft , i called her "A LOT LESS BOTHER" obviously from the old hover mower ads , has anyone else named their hovercrafts and if so how was you inspired to pick the name.
gary

trev
5-Jan-10, 09:05 PM
Hi Gary

I have called my hovercraft loads of names over the years most of them were unprintable but when i registered for the SSR my craft was named BOND00 7 it sort of points to what it was built for.

Trev

RussHudson
5-Jan-10, 09:14 PM
Mine's 'Boss Hogg' cos its big and white and I have a dog called Roscoe.....

Russ...

Winst
5-Jan-10, 09:35 PM
My sister called my first craft "banana skider" as it was yellow and slid everywhere. :)

Rhi Black
6-Jan-10, 08:53 AM
I named the entire fleet of Storms :)

Mine - Betty (like the song....)
Broni's - Bessy (because it's my craft's sister so it has to have a similar name :) )
Uncle Wayne and Princess' - Beatrix (just because)
John Bucknall's - Patsy (just because)
And Scuba Kev's - Janet (just because)

:)

gaz
6-Jan-10, 10:13 AM
I was going to call mine Overdraft for 2 reasons;
1, as with all hovers she sits over a draft.
2, as I spend a fair bit of time in the red she was built using my overdraft,

BUT that seemed too simple, so as I built her down here in Cornwall I decided to translate overdraft into Cornish. Unfortunately there isnt a Cornish word for overdraft so the guy doing the translation for me suggested a word that translates to draft over,

so that is how we ended up with a craft called Gorspenyans :D

TMunns
6-Jan-10, 12:34 PM
My Eagle is called 'Fan-tasy' as it was always an childhood dream to own a 'real' hovercraft, and of course it has a bloody great big fan on the back!

Scuba Kev
6-Jan-10, 02:53 PM
Thanks for that Rhi!!!!!
:rolleyes:

KipMac
6-Jan-10, 03:32 PM
Mine was Derriere, as the air comes out of the bottom.

Kip

Ian Brooks
6-Jan-10, 06:07 PM
I was always going to call mine "Skykomish River" but I didn't know how to spell it so it got registered as "Surveyor". Maybe I should change its name - "Skykomish River" is much more interesting!

Cab anyone guess why Skykomish?

Ian

Philip
6-Jan-10, 07:40 PM
"Cab anyone guess why Skykomish? " I know but is there a prize?????

David Ryan
6-Jan-10, 11:10 PM
You know the way that non-hovercrafters often ask about your 'boat'? My last craft was known as 'Nfnbd' ( pronounced kneef-n-bawday). N bd translates as 'Its not a boat'. The other two letters are borrowed from English and I'll leave it to yourselves to work out exactly what they stand for.

josh86
7-Jan-10, 08:18 AM
our old alien (fosters first) was called the PIG, due to the lovely way it handled :rolleyes:
plus i called the one i was racing last year, the yellow peril :)

trussl2907/01
7-Jan-10, 09:24 AM
Our Vortex 3 is called Sir Masterfully move the letters around and you get "Trussler Family"

gaz
7-Jan-10, 03:13 PM
I was always going to call mine "Skykomish River" but I didn't know how to spell it so it got registered as "Surveyor". Maybe I should change its name - "Skykomish River" is much more interesting!

Cab anyone guess why Skykomish?

Ian

Barry Palmer hungout there? :idea:

Ian Brooks
7-Jan-10, 06:45 PM
Barry Palmer hungout there? :idea:

Good guess... he lives there (lucky blighter)... that's where I first rode a Sev & decided to make one there and then...

Ian

curtis5420
7-Jan-10, 07:17 PM
my ally craft is called 'mr kinky' don't ask :)

trussl2907/01
7-Jan-10, 07:54 PM
Mine's 'Boss Hogg' cos its big and white and I have a dog called Roscoe.....

Russ...

I thought it was called "The sledge"

coles2196/01
7-Jan-10, 08:00 PM
We had Blewed Along and Allsorts - because it was made of all sorts!

RussHudson
7-Jan-10, 08:17 PM
I thought it was called "The sledge"

Only when being towed by a Griffon 380 :o

Ross Floyd
7-Jan-10, 10:39 PM
We've had four of the things:

Woodstock - not named by me. Alan Bliault's old craft.

Woodspring - because it followed on and we lived in the ( abolished) district of Woodspring.

'Severn Surveyor' - it was an ex surveying craft ... with 'SURVEYING' plastered down the sides. Stopped a lot of 'what are you doing there ' questions.

Britannia - nice patriotic name for a British invention - and actually named after the P&A Campbell SRN5 (?) Britannia - long story but all to do with Bristol Channel and paddle steamers. My delusions of grandeur are not that great - yet :-)

Ross

Keith Oakley
8-Jan-10, 08:19 AM
Hoveranne (1967) - linking our surname with a famous West End Musical character

Hoveranne2 (1969) - lacked inspiration

Eureka (1972) - the first to go over hump so Archimedes seemed appropriate

Spirit of Snodland (1977) -a homage to Charles Lindberg from my home village. The initials said it all

Keith Oakley

gavinparson
9-Jan-10, 07:17 PM
My last craft was called Firefly which seemed quite apt when it nearly caught fire on the Rhone Raid.