PDA

View Full Version : is it normal to get wet!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

watchbuyeruk
15-Mar-10, 08:07 PM
i know it may be a stupid question but on the weekend i finally got to take my flying fish out on open water (first time), is it normal to get completely drenched by spray?
gary

KipMac
15-Mar-10, 08:16 PM
Definitely YES, but the good news is that you will get the hang of it and learn how to use your power more appropriately.
It just takes time and a bit of help from the older hands.

Kip

gavinparson
16-Mar-10, 03:57 AM
Yes this is definitely down to driver inexperience as you shouldn't normally get spray from a Flying Fish. There are other proprietary craft out there that guarantee to drown you in spray!

Just remember to trim the craft so it rides level. If there's any spray at that front, you're sitting too far back.
Also drive it sensibly in a straight line, no "doughnuts" etc, keep it above hump speed and you'll be dry as a bone!

firth5731
16-Mar-10, 07:36 AM
get a waterproof kagool until you get it sorted.

Winst
16-Mar-10, 08:49 AM
It's all part of the fun getting wet :D

watchbuyeruk
16-Mar-10, 09:04 AM
thank you .
gary

gaz
16-Mar-10, 10:26 AM
for my 2 pence worth.... try not to stop on water, i always get wet whenever i have to get going on water. I have also learnt to avoid sharp turns that will scrub of to much speed. the more you can stay faster than hump speed the dryer you should stay.

gavinparson
16-Mar-10, 11:41 AM
It's all part of the fun getting wet :D

Go scuba diving then! ;)

firth5731
16-Mar-10, 11:54 AM
still learning the knack with 2 engines,first time out i couldn`t have got wetter if i had fallen in.
so i bought a emergency evac suit.on ebay 10 not worn it yet but i bet i look a right idiot will post pics first time i wear it
fitting a screen to the bbv this afternoon.

Winst
16-Mar-10, 02:04 PM
Go scuba diving then! ;)

I'll leave that to Kev or Sue :D

Scuba Kev
16-Mar-10, 03:51 PM
I am surprised it has taken you this long to have a pop Winst.....

since the last time I went swimming was 2007 I feel the need to practice some more this year with the new craft.. just so I can find the safest exit points (for research purposes only of course) failing that there might be a bigger nutter out in another new craft who can give scuba lessons!

Scuba Kev
16-Mar-10, 03:59 PM
In reply to the question "is it normal to get wet" the answer is yes!!! while racing... Mr Barlow once said if you dont fall out, you're not trying hard enough!!
While Cruising ... No ... as the others have said you should stay fairly dry, getting the weight balance is important to get the craft on a level plane, it all comes with practice and the training days are there to help you get the most enjoyment from your craft and doing it as safe as possible!

Bryan
16-Mar-10, 08:31 PM
I think you need a weekend of training........... which is handy as there is one in April...... sign up for a dry time hovering.

watchbuyeruk
16-Mar-10, 08:34 PM
already signed up, i just want to get some experience before the training weekend, just bought myself some waterproofs via ebay ready for saturday and sunday, good for the hover and the predicted bad weather!