PDA

View Full Version : Connecting a battery charge gauge

Brian G. Reynolds
21-Mar-10, 09:29 PM
And for my next question.....

I have had a fantastic weekend, in a need-to-get-out-more sort of way. Loads of jobs completed but one gauge still needing to be connected... actually make that two...

Firstly, how do you connect a battery charge gauge or ammeter(?).

Secondly, on the K100 engine there is an oil pressure switch which now works fine but just wondering if this could be changed for an oil pressure gauge sender?

Thanks all,

B.

firth5731
22-Mar-10, 12:42 PM
you like dials and stuff.
you can get a lcd screen that does all that stuff on ebay for about 100
used on quads and karts and the like
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/IVA-Digital-Speedo-Speedometer-kit-car-bandit-ATV-Dash_W0QQitemZ260571362528QQcmdZViewItemQQptZ
this is an example only there are loads on the market.

firth5731
22-Mar-10, 12:49 PM
you like dials and stuff.
you can get a lcd screen that does all that stuff on ebay for about 100
used on quads and karts and the like
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/IVA-Digital-Speedo-Speedometer-kit-car-bandit-ATV-Dash_W0QQitemZ260571362528QQcmdZViewItemQQptZ
this is an example only there are loads on the market.

Brian G. Reynolds
22-Mar-10, 02:44 PM
Hi Garry, Oh Yes!

The main reason is because the dials are already there as it was a rescue craft and I hate things not working.

Although the craft worked brilliantly last season I have no idea what the rad and engine revs were doing......

So now I can get an idea and see if anything needs tweeking.....

There are only 2 gauges remaining, the charge indicator and the oil pressure but I think the oil pressure is a non starter.....

I now have the skids to fix and fit the new skirt and all is done..... except for the intercom..... and what ever breaks next.....

Saying that, whilst I was running the engine on Sunday I noticed a fine spray coming from the fuel pump outlet just seconds before the outlet nozzle departed from the pump! Bugger! Just as well I had a spare pump.....

Speak soon,

B.

curtis5420
22-Mar-10, 05:17 PM
And for my next question.....

Firstly, how do you connect a battery charge gauge or ammeter(?).

B.

a battery voltage gauge is different to an ammeter, an ammeter is placed in series and reads the current, load/ouput to the battery for example.

you would be much better with a simple voltage gauge, which is place accross the battery terminals + to +, - to - and will read the voltage in the battery, when the engine is running this should show more than the battery to show the alternator is working, if its anything like a car, the alternator should put out approx 14volts to charge the battery.

Philip
22-Mar-10, 07:25 PM
If you like your dials heres a better one E Bay (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/LCD-DIGITAL-DISPLAY-GAUGE-6-in-1-REV-COUNTER-VOLT-ETC_W0QQitemZ370297455976QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Car sParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM?hash=item563772c568)

Brian G. Reynolds
22-Mar-10, 08:54 PM
Hi all, using a voltage gauge is not such a bad idea.....

Just looked on my website at the dash board, it is actually an ammeter fitted to the dash...

Philip, I have seen that dash before, nice isnt it!

B.