PDA

View Full Version : Speedo

watchbuyeruk
6-Apr-10, 01:39 PM
ive been using a tomtom in a waterproof case as a speedo but on my last trip it got submerged and it no longer works, can anyone tell me what they use as a speedo on their crafts please.

firth5731
6-Apr-10, 02:02 PM
i use a lowrance go2 cheap and easy to use

firth5731
6-Apr-10, 02:04 PM
a lowrance go on ebay 180488081940

Ross Floyd
6-Apr-10, 05:48 PM
Garmin GPS 76

Philip
6-Apr-10, 07:47 PM
Yep, Garmin GPS 76, a tough unit that floats. mine did over ten years. Its probably still working so if somebody finds it in the Atlantic will you please plot a route for "home":(

Ian Brooks
6-Apr-10, 08:59 PM
Lowrance 5150C & an old Garmin Etrex. Both survived my incident, due to being sealed (IPX7) thankfully.

hector46
6-Apr-10, 09:22 PM
I use a Lowrance Go2, hit the exit key three times quickly in the map mode and you get a full screen speedo, brilliant !!!!!

Steve

gavinparson
7-Apr-10, 11:35 AM
Garmin GPS 76

Yup, that's what I bought for the Raid last year. Nice big, clear speed reading.
Assuming the speed is correct, it proved my car speedo is over-reading by 2-3 mph!!

Brian G. Reynolds
8-Apr-10, 07:18 AM
I have used 3 SatNav's in my van and all of them say my speedo is over reading..

Is this a conspiracy to slow us all down......

B.

gaz
8-Apr-10, 07:38 AM
i think the manufactuers err on the safe side. If they under read we could blame them for our speeding tickets :eek:

does a new tyre make you go faster cos its got more tread and therfor you travel further per wheel rev :confused:

falconer
8-Apr-10, 08:03 AM

Vehicle construction and use regulations require a vehicle speedometer accuracy to be in the range of -0->+10%

So to prevent under reading they have to over read....

John Robertson
8-Apr-10, 09:41 AM
As Francis says, vehicle speedos have to over read. GPS's on the other hand UNDER read because they measure your speed across a theoretical flat surface - if you are going up or downhill they will give an inaccurate reading (anyone remember Pythagoras :D).

Jon Pert
8-Apr-10, 02:56 PM
When I saw this thread title I thought it was about someone trying to find ridiculously tight swimwear. :eek:

Luckily it's not.

As you were. :lol:

Philip
8-Apr-10, 04:47 PM
(anyone remember Pythagoras :D).
Ah yes, Jim Pythagoras, used to drink a lot in a pub down town, so called because he wore sandals all the time and walked at an angle to the footpath.

gavinparson
9-Apr-10, 05:37 AM
When I saw this thread title I thought it was about someone trying to find ridiculously tight swimwear. :eek:

Luckily it's not.

As you were. :lol:

You mean like this?......

Or this?

kach22i
18-May-10, 10:30 PM
You mean like this?......
Or this?

The : You mean like this? girl is more of what I had in mind.:)

firth5731
19-May-10, 04:31 PM
speedo's are only used for budgie smuggling.
hence the term "budgie smugglers"

Philip
19-May-10, 04:45 PM
Dictonary definition here,budgie smugglers: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=budgie%20smugglers (http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=budgie%20smugglers)
As for speed I'm buying another Garmin GPS 76