PDA

View Full Version : osprey one on top of a trailer tent.

firth5731
13-May-10, 11:51 AM
just a quick question.
Has anyone ever seen a hovercraft transported on top of a trailer tent??
as i cant afford a camper van and am fed up with sleeping in a tent.

Winst
13-May-10, 12:03 PM
Some of the racing lads/lasses do it

falconer
13-May-10, 12:09 PM
I would guess if the suspension units and tyres can carry the additional weight it would be ok...... might need to upgrade them...

Bryan
13-May-10, 04:15 PM
Oh yes my father and i both carried craft on trailer tents to race meetings for years. Your Osprey will strap on there a treat.

gavinparson
13-May-10, 04:16 PM
It used to be very popular years ago before everyone seemed to get rich and buy 30 grand motorcaravans.

I used to use a box trailer only 4ft wide, got all the tools and camping gear inside and then balanced the craft on top.

Trailer tents usually need some sort of frame on top to support a craft as the lid can be quite flimsy.

Fred Wilson
13-May-10, 05:28 PM
just a quick question.
Has anyone ever seen a hovercraft transported on top of a trailer tent??
as i cant afford a camper van and am fed up with sleeping in a tent.

like this?

gaz
13-May-10, 05:33 PM
how about a folding caravan like this one on ebay 170484100002 same size as a trailer tent but no canvas, the trailer is totaly rigid!

curtis5420
13-May-10, 06:09 PM
im sure have i seen pics of someone that cut a big hole in the back of a caravan and stuck the craft in that, not sure how they sealed it up to sleep in it tho.

why not think about a vw van? i picked mine up for 750 quid, last year and its brilliant.

daly5546
14-May-10, 06:31 AM
Check out Bob Coles current caravan.

daly5546
14-May-10, 06:32 AM
how about a folding caravan like this one on ebay 170484100002 same size as a trailer tent but no canvas, the trailer is totaly rigid!

Les/Rupert used one of these last year with 3 beams across it to carry the craft

coles2196/01
14-May-10, 10:20 PM
Check out Bob Coles current caravan.

Thanks Chris!! Yes, actually it is the second one to be 'converted'.

Hello Firth5731 - if you are coming to Henstridge do come and visit the Coles caravan!! Bob (54/64) will be quite happy to show you round!!

JOHN STEAD
15-May-10, 05:45 AM
it will depend on the trailer tent,i used to use a trailer tent a few years ago but did not trust towing it with the craft on top of it so i built a frame on my trailer then i would winch the trailer tent onto the trailer and sit the craft on the frame it was a comical looking thing but it work for me.the trailer tent was a conway camper which have a narrow wheel base so with the craft on it was very top heavy.