PDA

View Full Version : Here is something you dont talk about much on this forum....

Brian G. Reynolds
19-May-10, 03:17 PM
Can I use polish on my craft?

Help the grunge to fall off? make it easier to clean? look very nice!!!

What sort should I use?

B.

Jon Pert
19-May-10, 03:48 PM
Autoglym polish is very good in my experience.

I use this...

http://www.holden.co.uk/productimages/090_880.jpg

Or you need a boat wax (if there is such a thing).

falconer
19-May-10, 03:53 PM
Not used polish but did use scottish, the good lady helped clean the craft last time out.....

kevthehover
19-May-10, 08:14 PM
Hi,

Want that shine in seconds?
Want it quick?
Want it now?

Well this is the best kept secret of them all and it really works and it will repell water and mud i use it on my motors and Hovercraft all the time if you dont belive me try it and its cheap 5.99 for the Auto Glym Instant Tyre Dressing and 99p for the cloth but you must use the stated cloth which is Micro fibre cloth.

Spray on , then wipe off, then rub over again it will shine like new i even use it to clean the car windscreen and it doesnt smear it has Rainex in the mixture.

If you dont belive me try it yourself and tell me im right!

All the best

Kev

John Robertson
19-May-10, 08:29 PM
Not used polish but did use scottish, the good lady helped clean the craft last time out.....
You must have a different model of "scottish" to me - mine won't go anywhere near these noisy, smelly hovercraft things :D

Polish is also great for stopping kids climbing all over your craft - not so good when you want to get in or out yourself though :)

Brian G. Reynolds
20-May-10, 07:14 AM
Thank you gents.....

Not sure what to make of your "contribution" Kev.... :-)))))

B.

kevthehover
20-May-10, 07:29 AM
Thank you gents.....

Not sure what to make of your "contribution" Kev.... :-)))))

B.

Well Brian try it you wont be let down i promise this is the easiest and best finish i have ever come across i do all my hovers in it i promise im not jokeing its the best would be interested to see who tries it you will be well impressed to makes the polish version look silly.

Kind regards
Kev

falconer
20-May-10, 07:38 AM
I'm just not so sure, I still think its better to get someone else to clean and polish your hovecraft....
although it can result in a stay in the dog house.....

Jon Pert
20-May-10, 07:45 AM
Kev,

I may use it on the craft but there is no way it's going on my car paintwork!

kevthehover
20-May-10, 09:50 AM
Kev,

I may use it on the craft but there is no way it's going on my car paintwork!

I use it on my Range Rover with no problems and the Local Valeter uses it to polish the clients cars thats how i know how to do it trust me i have used it for years and it keeps the spray mud off it will just drop off try it on your window pane at home and see what i mean then buy me a drink..........

Kev

campbe5177
20-May-10, 10:10 AM
High Solids Emulsion floor polish produces excellent results. Carefree Eternum (Johnson Diversey) or Diamond Brite (Selden Products) or Platinum 25 (Premiere Products) are all good. It is readily available from Janitorial suppliers. Just wipe it on after cleaning the craft with a lint free cloth (j cloth will do) or for bigger areas use a flat mop and leave it to dry. It is touch dry in 30 minutes and hard in a few hours. Later on you can reapply to small areas to repair scuffs or deepen shine. No need for expensive micro fibre as the cloth will be a mess when you have finished; you will definitely want to throw it away. Do wear gloves - otherwise you will have nice shiny hands and polished fingernails.
If you leave your hovercraft uncovered in the garden these polishes will darken very slightly with the UV over a year or two. Not a problem but any scuffs that you repolish will be slightly lighter. You might then want to remove the polish with a solvent- wipe on and wash off. A suitable solvent is Carefree Speed Stripper (Johnson Diversey).
Bearing in mind that these polishes are designed to be walked on they are incredibly hard wearing and are very cheap 12 for 5 litres which would probably be enough for the rest of your life. You can possibly buy it in 1 litre bottles and the coverage rate is 60 square metres per litre.
Absolutely do not use thermoplastic or oleo resinous floor polishes as they would be a disaster for too many reasons to mention here.
You'd never guess that we have a commercial cleaning business :P~:-P~:razz:.
Chris

Brian G. Reynolds
20-May-10, 01:36 PM
Aint this site educational!

I should have asked this a month ago so I could have finished for this Saturday!!!!

Typical me....

B.

Brian G. Reynolds
20-May-10, 02:06 PM
The original reason for posting is that the owner of my unit has got some stuff that he swears by...

Meguires Professional Range dual action polish. The valeting range...

Do any of you know this stuff?

B.

RussHudson
20-May-10, 07:24 PM
I would steer clear of anything silicone based (such as tyre dressing) as its too slippery and gets on everything hands included, you can tell if its silicone based as soon as you get any on your hands as they become very slippy !!:eek:

Russ..

Jon Pert
22-May-10, 07:12 PM
very slippy !!:eek:

Mmmmm slippy...