PDA

View Full Version : New girl! :)

Haley
9-Jun-10, 07:17 PM
Hi,

My name's Haley and I've joined this community as I'm looking to buy/build a hovercraft :)

When I was in the air cadets I drove/flew(?) an Osprey and I loved it so my Dad is going to help me with a hovercraft of my own. We are looking to either build an Osprey from scratch or get a non-runner and do it up as I want to learn how everything works as I go along so when stuff breaks, I should know my way around the hovercraft pretty well and hopefully manage to fix it :)

Soooo yeah, pleased to meet you all :) x

JEddy
9-Jun-10, 07:26 PM
Hi,

try keeping an eye out on ebay for craft, usually ones which need a bit of work up for sale.

James E

broad5186
9-Jun-10, 09:13 PM
good luck with it, my daughter Laura loves hovercraft and racing them - she moves up to formula 3 this year so she'll be racing against me, can't wait

tony

Haley
9-Jun-10, 09:20 PM
Cheers James, I will :)

Tony, sounds fun! Are there a lot of girls that race then? I would love to get my skills and the hovercraft up to a high enough standard for racing etc. Where abouts are the races usually held? I'm in Fife so probably quite far away from where it's all happening.

Haley

Jon Pert
10-Jun-10, 06:49 AM
Hi and welcome. http://www.jonrb.com/emoticons/wavey.gif

Here is a map of the race sites in the UK. http://www.hovercraft.org.uk/showthread.php?18875-find-a-race-event

We have quite a few female racers in the club so you would be in good company.

First question for you is what is your budget?

Brian G. Reynolds
10-Jun-10, 07:27 AM
Good morning and welcome Haley.

One of the first things that amazed me when I took up racing was the amount of girls and women involved, fantastic bunch!

You could do worst than buy the clubs "The Constructors Guide" and build a wood craft. I know some people knock it but it got me through the Novice part, mine worked very well and I had great fun building it!

You have to learn, woodwork, sewing, engines, electrical, welding, fibre glassing.... loads of different disciplines!

Have a look at my site, www.Reynolds-Towers.com (http://www.reynolds-towers.com/) go to the hovercraft page and from there you will find loads of pictures of me building the craft, and later repairing my craft…. And repairing my craft…. And repairing….. you get the message!

There are some very clever people in this group, I am not one of them! So go for it, you WILL love it!

Brian.

hector46
10-Jun-10, 04:59 PM
Perhaps there will be a Scottish race venue one day:). THE HAGGIS CUP !!!!!!!

Steve

Haley
10-Jun-10, 06:55 PM
Thank you for the welcomes :)

Jon, looks like the closest race venue to me is 300 miles away :( I'm not too sure of my budget myself, as it depends what state the craft I get is in etc. and being new to this, I'm not too sure how much I should be expecting to pay.

Brian, I've actually just spent quite a bit of time going through your website and all it's pictures etc. It was a really good read so thanks :) It makes me want to build my own craft, although I'm not sure time would allow as I've seen how much work went into yours.

Haha the haggis cup sounds like a plan! :D

Haley

Brian G. Reynolds
10-Jun-10, 08:02 PM
Don't forget I did have the Meerkats helping me!!!!!! not.....

B.

trev
10-Jun-10, 08:17 PM
Hi Haley

There is no hovercraft racing scene in Scotland and I don`t think there ever will be
All Scottish members I know of are into cruising and we all have craft 14 to 18 feet long able to cope with the changeable weather conditions we get up here

We do coastal, loch and river cruises and can travel around 100 miles on some trips
check out my you tube site for videos of our trips on the River forth and Tay both on your door step in the Kingdom of Fife

http://www.youtube.com/user/hovbod#p/u/22/O_WQrIGvwuo

http://www.youtube.com/user/hovbod#p/u/29/N-bM3WAO-e0

or Johns You tube site

http://www.youtube.com/user/jarobhov#p/u/39/xxzy3eWzKvw

Loads of videos from all over Scotland to have a look at and let you see what you can get up to with a hover
I live in wet Lothian so your not far from me.

good luck
Trev

Brian G. Reynolds
10-Jun-10, 08:22 PM
Oh NOOOOOO, Keep away from the light!!!!

If These video's do not get you hooked on cruising then nothing will!

It is what made me venture up there last week!!!!!!

Fantastic!

B.

Haley
10-Jun-10, 09:22 PM
Hi Trev,

It's a shame about there not being a racing scene in Scotland but from those videos, looks like cruising would do me just fine, it looks great!

I'm lucky to be right on the coast as there's plenty of places to go, but it would be good to travel to new places and meet up with people to go on cruises too. Will my car (a Mk4 Golf Gti 1.8T) pull a trailer with a hovercraft ok?

Oh, and do I need to insure the hovercraft if I'm using it in public places?

Haley

Keith Oakley
10-Jun-10, 09:43 PM
Why not try marshalling at race meetings? - its a good intro to the sport. Spend a week at the worlds in August and you'll know a lot more about hovercraft. I'm sure Anne, Rhi, Charlotte or one of the other marshalls will be along to tell you more.
Keith

Haley
10-Jun-10, 09:55 PM
I would love to do marshalling :) I'm in Cyprus when the worlds are on but I will try and get down to a race at some point (the sooner the better) to get more of a feel for hovercrafting.

Haley

daly5546
10-Jun-10, 10:30 PM
If you cannot make it to a race meeting, they are broadcast live on Internet TV.

trev
10-Jun-10, 11:22 PM
Haley
if you are overlooking the sea and want to use your hover every time the sea is calm you need a craft that can handle the changable conditions you will come across on the Forth and it has to be very reliable as recovering a broken down hovercraft can quickly turn into a nightmare when things go wrong.

A GTI has the power to tow a hover so I cant see why not

And yes its better to have 3rd party cover , you never know what's round the next corner sometimes

Trev

Haley
11-Jun-10, 01:04 PM
Although I live right on the Forth, I won't be using the hovercraft out on the water too much and won't be going far out either so reliability isn't too much of a concern for me (obviously the less it breaks the better but at least I won't be miles out to sea when it happens!) :)

falconer
11-Jun-10, 03:52 PM
Hi Haley,

Welcome to the club, I'm quite new but enjoying the experience! One thing I would like to say is venturing too far from the shore isnt the problem with a breakdown, any boat/jetski etc can tow you from 2 miles out to see to near the shore, the breakdown problem is more local to the shore. Getting the craft from the edge of the water (as far as a boat can go) to a trailer. Often this is across mud or a rocky beach where nothing except a working hovercraft can go........

I think the worst breakdown would be getting stuck on mud - miles from anywhere, for example on the medway in Kent. Something that could so easily happen if you don't keep on top of maintenance.

So far I've only been out on organised events through the club and have had a few breakdowns, 2 minor and one major, the biggest help is from other club members out with you whose experience and skills are life and craft saving.....

Enjoy the hover experience - it really is amazing.

Francis

hector46
11-Jun-10, 05:32 PM
Hi Haley,

If you build a craft, build it to be reliable. Breaking down is a real pain or worse. There is not much more involved in making a good hovercraft, a lot of it is in the detail. You'll get lots of tips and advice on here. Enjoy the journey.

Steve