PDA

View Full Version : Hello All!

smert
1-Jul-10, 08:23 PM
Hi All,

I thought I'd better introduce myself before I start bombarding you all with questions.

I am based in Perthshire and have been attempting to build a Challenger craft (from the Constructor guide) for the past 5 years or so. It has been a hull sat in a sling hanging from the rafters in my fathers garage for most of the time as time always seemed to evade me!

However, a few years ago a friend bought a beat up craft from a local scrapyard and set about renovating it. It is also a challenger from the constructor guide. He managed to get his going a few weeks ago and this has given me the stimulus to get mine finished, so we can play together!

So, who's nearest that I can come and have a look at your craft for ideas!?

Iain

hector46
2-Jul-10, 06:50 AM
Hello Iain,

I am near aberdeen but don't know of many craft in Scotland!!!!!!!!! so you may struggle to find a challenger up here. Perhaps south of the border, if your lucky there may be one in the North of England. Good luck, remember someone on here no matter how far away will still be able to help you.

Cheers

Brian G. Reynolds
2-Jul-10, 07:09 AM
Hello Iain and welcome, I started the fun by building a wood craft from the same book.

Have a look at www.Reynolds-Towers.com (http://www.Reynolds-Towers.com) might be of use, I had a great time building and racing it in Novices.

Meerkats not included!

B.

trev
3-Jul-10, 12:21 PM
Hi Iain
If you want to get into a bit of serious sea cruising then you will find out the Challenger is not really up to the job as its a old and inadequate design and the club should not be selling these plans to cruisers as it is a beginners racing craft in my view
Have a look at this video the Sevs are now Dominating the ocean waves around Scotland these days and they do everything they are supposed to do without breaking down all the time if properly built

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fvfPMpvc1tU

Trev

gavinparson
3-Jul-10, 04:43 PM
Hi Iain
If you want to get into a bit of serious sea cruising then you will find out the Challenger is not really up to the job as its a old and inadequate design and the club should not be selling these plans to cruisers as it is a beginners racing craft in my view

It should not be sold full stop! It is neither suitable for racing or cruising so what's the point? Unless you're going to "play" with it on private land it's unsuitable for anything else.
As you're unlikely to race being so far North, I'm sure you'll want to cruise. Best to get or build a decent cruiser or else you'll be disappointed. I'd always recommend that a first timer buys a decent new or secondhand craft. If you're brave enough to build one after that, at least you'll have some experience of how a craft works.

Best to speak to the various cruisers up there in Scotland. I'm sure John Robertson will give you plenty of good advice.

Good luck

Gavin

smert
3-Jul-10, 05:41 PM
Unless you're going to "play" with it on private land

This is exactly what I plan doing with this one. I am fully aware that it is a completely out-dated and inefficient design, has woeful freeboard, etc etc. However, it will still fulfill my needs as a) a toy for messing about on, and b) for the engineering challenge of actually building it (5+ years construction time notwithstanding!).

You're quite correct that I am too far north to consider racing it, so it doesn't need to be the latest and greatest design and the idea of taking to the sea in it doesn't appeal to be honest - it's far too small! A bit like taking a go-kart on a cross-europe drive!

My next hovercraft will be something along the lines of a Sevtec or at least a craft designed specifically as a cruiser and probably homebuilt again rather than bought. I'm going to need a lot of advice for that one!

Iain

smert
3-Jul-10, 05:51 PM
Hello Iain and welcome, I started the fun by building a wood craft from the same book.

Have a look at www.Reynolds-Towers.com (http://www.Reynolds-Towers.com) might be of use, I had a great time building and racing it in Novices.

Meerkats not included!

B.

That's a nice build diary! I started doing similar, but kept forgetting to take pictures at various intervals!

trev
3-Jul-10, 06:06 PM
Iain I am glad to hear you do not intend to use it on water, 5 years is a long time to spend building something that can only be used as a toy .
Its a pity you will have to build something else when you get the hover cruising bug, but as you say the learning curve building the challenger will stand you in good stead for the next craft build
I live in West Lothian so you are between Steve and me

Trev

kevthehover
3-Jul-10, 06:09 PM

Hi,
Have a look under Starter craft made from plywood (http://www.hovercraft.org.uk/album.php?albumid=18) in my profile this is a custom Challenger made from the Constructors Guide but with extras that were adapted during the build.

Kev

trev
3-Jul-10, 06:33 PM
Hows about a pic of the new Freedom TS3 then Kev that sounds interesting

Trev