PDA

View Full Version : Complete n00b saying hello, first hovercraft arrives tomorrow!

Stratosphere
17-Jul-10, 09:01 AM
Morning all, just to say hello, complete new boy here, never ridden/driven/piloted a hovercraft but my impulse buy arrives tomorrow and I'm very excited!

Been looking in to hovercraft for many years but at last I have taken the plunge so I'll be joining up, looking for advice, help and flying buddies.

Based just outside York, is anyone else in the area?

Things to sort out: learn how to fly a hovercraft, get some TP liability insurance, get a tow bar, clean out the garage ready for the new arrival. That seems to be in reverse order ...

Regards,
Ed

curtis5420
17-Jul-10, 10:38 AM
what have you bought?

Stratosphere
17-Jul-10, 10:58 AM
what have you bought?

Not telling until it's actually here!

Cheers,
Ed

Brian G. Reynolds
17-Jul-10, 11:06 AM
Arr an air of mystery! You've bought an SRN4 haven't you!!!!

Where, outside York, are you?

I am near Sheffield and have got a "pass" to launch my cruiser at the Humber Bridge with Humber Rescue.

Is it a racer or a cruiser you have bought?

B.

Stratosphere
17-Jul-10, 11:19 AM
Hi Brian, just 'near York' in the same way as you are 'near Sheff' :) I'm keeping a bit of a low profile at the moment (in the public forum).

Yes it's an SRN4! OK, no it isn't, but it IS a cruiser ...

Humber Bridge sounds fun. Mine won't be coming out to play for some time, much to learn.

Cheers,
Ed

firth5731
17-Jul-10, 02:11 PM
sounds interesting.
any help you need give me a shout i have pm`d my details.
post pics warts and all.

Stratosphere
17-Jul-10, 03:51 PM
Thanks 'firth' - or may I call you 5731? Hope that's not too personal :)

I shall be in touch.

Cheers,
Ed

Brian G. Reynolds
17-Jul-10, 06:42 PM
The Humber is probably the nearest to me which is how Gary "Firth" introduced me to this site, which is run by "Humber Rescue".

My middle Sister also lives in Mkt Weighton.

And I learnt to fly at Humberside whilst with the RAF.

And I was a founder member of The Lincolnshire Land-Rover Club.

B.

gaz
18-Jul-10, 05:40 AM
And I was a founder member of The Lincolnshire Land-Rover Club.

B.

didn't know you where a Land Rover man Brian, my last Landy was a 1999 disco TD5 what a piece of sh*t give me a 300tdi any day

Brian G. Reynolds
18-Jul-10, 11:32 AM
I have only owned a Series I for trialling, a S2A 109FFR as my transport, loved it!! and then a 1974 Range-Rover.

I was lucky enough to have been invited to the official launch of both the 110 and the Discovery.

The launch of the 110 was filmed for a documentary by Central TV (?) and I still have the original video.

I also have a hard-backed owner's manual given to me at the 110 launch which has never been used!

I also have a 101 V8 parts catalogue as one day I would love to own one of these! Not at all practical but great fun!

I have a full set of official Land-Rover yellow workshop manuals and the usual array of Haynes manuals.

I left the Land-Rover club due to politics, then sold everything when I left the RAF due to a back injury and had to sell everything in order to survive, (no help-for-hero's in those days!)

I have recently sold an original Range-Rover screw-jack with the wooden handle to an enthusiast who has a fantastic collection and an original RR with its plastic seats!!!

I also know, as do you, a certain person that has a beautiful SI Land-Rover (his second other-half) as well as a fantastic Soft-top FC! sitting under cover in his garden!

have a look at www.Reynolds-Towers.com (http://www.Reynolds-Towers.com) and see what NOT to do to a perfectly road going RR! and the fun I had with both the LR and the RR!

It is a strange thing with the members in this club the a fair amount of us have followed the same course with our lives, I think quite a few of has have played with the Land-Rover vehicles as well as quite a few ex/pilots, it seems to be the same mentality! Deranged????

I sometimes think I should sell my van and buy a Land-Rover, but I do love my van! 7 seats (6 not needed) and space in the back for 5 bicycles (5 not needed).....

Maybe I am at an age when I really need to start to conform and get a life!!

B.

hector46
18-Jul-10, 11:34 AM
I still miss my 90 300tdi. It was horrendous and disolved under me in to FE 02. But it was partially vegetarian which was excellent!!!!!

Steve

firth5731
18-Jul-10, 12:09 PM
my every day transport is a short wheel base defender 1994 converted to veg oil.
i love it and it tows my stuff around a treat.(i am also deaf,pee blood and have no fillings)

Philip
18-Jul-10, 12:41 PM
This seems to be turning into a Land Rover thread so here's my bit, I've had a S1 107 PU, a S2 109 PU which burst a brake pipe on its one and only journey with me, a S2 and a bit 109 Safari which was involved in several 12 seat trips mostly at night time:)!! also discovered they are a little short to sleep in!!:). and a 1984 110 RUC spec HCPU which I drove for 21 years (with Toyota 3L diesel) and sold to a guy who is rebuilding it. Philip

Stratosphere
18-Jul-10, 02:36 PM
Oy, this is my thread!! Get orf moi thread ....

Anyway the wonderful orange beastie has arrived and we've had a bit of a baz round the footie pitch down the road (with permission). Excellent!! Much harder than I thought so I'm being very gentle with it so far but I managed not to get out of control and must have had it up to a good 10mph at one point!!

Pleased with the low noise level from the mighty Vanguard, mainly fan noise once it's wound up I guess.

What is it? A Marlin 2, many thanks to Benn at Flying Fish, especially for the long drive!

Cheers,
Ed

Stratosphere
18-Jul-10, 02:37 PM
P.S. Never had a land rover.

Ross Floyd
18-Jul-10, 04:05 PM
You haven't lived !

White finger, left knee damage, concussion, tinitus, ingrained oil, penury, back trouble, Land Rover bladder, Land Rover bowel ( due to brakes ) , hernia(s), divorce, broken thumb joint, neck trouble - thats just driving out of the barn :-)

Ross

Stratosphere
18-Jul-10, 04:13 PM
You can keep it :)

So anyway ... hovercraft ...

Brian G. Reynolds
18-Jul-10, 04:23 PM
Congratulations on your new "toy" and welcome to the up-hill learning curve!

All I can say is take it easy!!! very easy!!! it can soon get out of control and footy goal posts have a habit of moving very fast!

Remember, the braking distance of a hovercraft is always 1 foot further than the object you are trying to miss!!!

You are now going to have some good fun!

Pictures????

B.

Stratosphere
18-Jul-10, 04:31 PM
Thanks Brian, braking distance noted. First flight was very tentative indeed!

Brian G. Reynolds
18-Jul-10, 05:03 PM
Excellent! Its got eyes!!!

Try and get yourself some cones and make a course, I did this on a small field when I build my first wood craft. Then make it more and more difficult, using slopes which slope the wrong way, into wind, tail wind, the list goes on!

Once a year some members organise a training weekend for cruisers which is a fantastic event ending with a controlled cruise on the Sunday, weather permitting of course! unfortunately you have missed that this year I think(?)

Feel free to ask any questions, there is a massive knowledge base here, sometimes someone even knows something about hovercraft!!!

B.

firth5731
18-Jul-10, 07:05 PM
ugly front
but a cool craft.
said it was a fish
hours of fun awaits enjoy and next time i go to the humder i will give u a shout

Stratosphere
18-Jul-10, 07:18 PM
I rather like the quirky looks, bit like a frog-eye sprite?

Two minutes, I'll give you a call Gary.

Cheers,
Ed

Stratosphere
18-Jul-10, 07:35 PM
Excellent! Its got eyes!!!

Try and get yourself some cones and make a course, I did this on a small field when I build my first wood craft. Then make it more and more difficult, using slopes which slope the wrong way, into wind, tail wind, the list goes on!

Once a year some members organise a training weekend for cruisers which is a fantastic event ending with a controlled cruise on the Sunday, weather permitting of course! unfortunately you have missed that this year I think(?)

Feel free to ask any questions, there is a massive knowledge base here, sometimes someone even knows something about hovercraft!!!

B.

Thanks again BGR, many many questions will follow, really like the idea of the cones, and especially the slopes. I was pleased to find the thing can be driven (flown) slowly as well as fast. Dying to fly it over to the pub, but really mustn't :)

Cheer,
Ed

Brian G. Reynolds
18-Jul-10, 09:19 PM
Hi Ed, one thing you MUST read is an article by one of our Scottish friends, John Robertson.

It is all about hovercraft reliability, like I said a must to read!

I am not sure where it is stored on our system so here is the link to the original thread.

http://www.hovercraft.org.uk/showthread.php?23483-Hovercraft-Reliability-and-Safety.

Hopefully next year you will attend the Scottish hover bash, I did this year but suffered a bearing pop on my second day! Still a great week and you will find despite what people say, the Scotish are a nice bunch!!!

B.

gaz
19-Jul-10, 07:09 AM
Oy, this is my thread!! Get orf moi thread ....
Sorry didn't mean to hijack it :blush:

Welcome to the world of hovercraft and learning to fly em. I am fairly lucky that the local school lets me on their fields (but not when anyone is using them) go see the grounds men you may get lucky and they let you in, the chap here was impressed that there was no damage to the grass, use that as a bargaining point.
As was said earlier get a set of 5 cones (toolstation 20) and practice around them, for the most part you will be able to fly over them without damaging your craft. The better you get the less time you spend standing them up.

Stratosphere
19-Jul-10, 01:12 PM
Lots to think about there, thank you.

Ed

Hi Ed, one thing you MUST read is an article by one of our Scottish friends, John Robertson.

It is all about hovercraft reliability, like I said a must to read!

I am not sure where it is stored on our system so here is the link to the original thread.

http://www.hovercraft.org.uk/showthread.php?23483-Hovercraft-Reliability-and-Safety.

Hopefully next year you will attend the Scottish hover bash, I did this year but suffered a bearing pop on my second day! Still a great week and you will find despite what people say, the Scotish are a nice bunch!!!

B.

Stratosphere
19-Jul-10, 01:15 PM
Not at all Gaz :)

Good input thank you, I have a few fields where I fly my paramotor so hopefully the farmers will be up for a bit of hovering as well. I'll be taking every oportunity to make links with the local schools and community centres too of course, seems people are really up for a short flight in return for use of a field for an hour or so.

Cheers,
Ed

Sorry didn't mean to hijack it :blush:

Welcome to the world of hovercraft and learning to fly em. I am fairly lucky that the local school lets me on their fields (but not when anyone is using them) go see the grounds men you may get lucky and they let you in, the chap here was impressed that there was no damage to the grass, use that as a bargaining point.
As was said earlier get a set of 5 cones (toolstation 20) and practice around them, for the most part you will be able to fly over them without damaging your craft. The better you get the less time you spend standing them up.