PDA

View Full Version : Building a non-integrated dual-seat hovercraft

yamahaggis
31-Jul-10, 11:18 AM
As a first timer (building), I would like to build a non-integrated craft using a Tecumseh 5HP 4 stoke lift motor (electric start) and a 250 cc 4 stroke motorcycle engine (Honda CB250 electric start). Are there plans available that would give me an idea on a realistic size/shape etc., preferably with a segmented skirt?

Brian G. Reynolds
31-Jul-10, 12:04 PM
Good morning to you, I cannot answer this for you but thought it might be worth mentioning that there is a race meeting on this w/e so most of the racers will not be on here till Monday.

Just thought you might like to know, dont want you to think we dont care :-))))

B.

yamahaggis
31-Jul-10, 05:12 PM
Good morning to you, I cannot answer this for you but thought it might be worth mentioning that there is a race meeting on this w/e so most of the racers will not be on here till Monday.

Just thought you might like to know, dont want you to think we dont care :-))))

B.
Many thanks Brian. I'm working shifts at present. Forgot it was Saturday (and normal people have a life!!!) One day I will be back in the land of the living and enjoy pastimes like this. Good advice from others in a similar situation is to join the club, which I will do in due course.
Happy hovering.

shull3
6-Aug-10, 06:46 PM
If you are stuck with those motors you will be building a small light craft. Try the Universal site and look at the uh12t4. http://www.hovercraft.com/content/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=43
We built one a few years ago and it performs OK with the engines you have. It is not a segmented skirt but I doubt that you will get a design that will use a segmented skirt with htat small of lift power.
Good Luck

yamahaggis
10-Aug-10, 03:54 AM
If you are stuck with those motors you will be building a small light craft. Try the Universal site and look at the uh12t4. http://www.hovercraft.com/content/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=43
We built one a few years ago and it performs OK with the engines you have. It is not a segmented skirt but I doubt that you will get a design that will use a segmented skirt with htat small of lift power.
Good Luck

Many thanks for the advice. I have bitten the bullet and ordered the plans so lets see what happens. When I worked in Saudi Arabia in the mid eighties, I ordered the plans for the UH Triflyer. I still have the urge to build this beast, but I think it would be wise to learn to crawl before I can walk. I'm considering pulling down my existing garage and building a bigger one, so time will tell as to what I will come up with, time permitting.
All the best.