PDA

View Full Version : Helmet Skinz

Martin Lock
13-Sep-10, 05:20 PM
A few people asked me about were I got my helmet cover's from!

So here it is https://www.helmetskinz.co.uk

You can get alsorts! You can get names on them so Barry doesn't have to keep relying on body shape to figure out who it is!

Cheers

coles2196/01
13-Sep-10, 07:21 PM
A few people asked me about were I got my helmet cover's from!

So here it is https://www.helmetskinz.co.uk

You can get alsorts! You can get names on them so Barry doesn't have to keep relying on body shape to figure out who it is!

Cheers

I think some/all drivers should have their numbers on them!! Probably a lot less likely for a head to fall off than using rubbish gaffa tape!! ;)

Mr No Limits
3-Nov-11, 07:57 PM
At the EHF meeting last weekend the use of brightly coloured helmets was discussed again.
It is quite probable this is not going to go away for European or World Championships & all drivers will find they will have to have a brightly coloured (ideally fluorescent or orange) helmet in the future.

I have been in touch with HelmetSkinz.co.uk (http://helmetskinz.co.uk) who offer a cheaper solution than buying a new crash helmet.

They are willing to offer club members 10% discount

Follow the link to the Club Member Discount Thread (http://www.hovercraft.org.uk/showthread.php?23710-Club-Member-Discounts-available!!).

Scuba Kev
6-Nov-11, 07:45 AM
At least if you are in the water your head will look like an orange or yellow bouy, you should be driven around and not over, similar to what everyone does with the bendy post course markers really! I can see their point of being visible but how about just saying no to black and dull non reflective colours? and who decides whether the helmet is brightly coloured enough as there must be some sort of regulation to identify whats allowed & what isn't! and putting reflective tape or stickers isn't exceptable either!

Can hear Barry now as we line up on the grid "in pole position we have Dan Turnbull he's the one to watch and is easily identified by his bright orange crash helmet, in 2nd place we have Tristan Rhodes also with an Orange Crash Helmet, 3rd Keith Rhodes with an Orange lid, Martin Locke with a tangerine lid but watch out because Jon Spedding with the Orange crash helmet is starting from the back and will make his way to fight for the lead with-in the first lap ..... so I'll just watch the one with the orange lid then!!

Am not having a go because the information is being relayed to everyone and it has been spoken about before, obviously for scruitineering, Helmet covers are removed to check the condition of the lid!!

Kev

lewend4439
6-Nov-11, 06:30 PM
2012 WHF and 2012 EHF regulations:

"Crash helmets should be of very bright colour such that they can, depending on the nature of the racing environment, be very easily seen. Reflecting (fluorescent) colours are highly recommended. If relevant any countries legal requirements will take precedence over this rule but event Organisers will be required to make this known twelve months in advance"

Nick Drew
8-Nov-11, 08:55 AM
Hi Jamie,

That sounds like it's a rule that could end in lots of people debating weather their lid is 'brightly coloured' or not. For example, mine is predominantly black, but with a bright orange stripe. I think that is visible, but would the officials?

Also, some brightly coloured lids have a lot of greys in them, would the bright bits count as enough?

Obviously, the rulemakers ideals are to have fluorescent orange lids like the offshore power boaters I assume. Is there any way of knowing exactly what will be allowed?

I would hate to travel to Germany next year only to find that my lid is to 'dark'....

Nick

Ewan Black
8-Nov-11, 11:13 AM
The rule says "should", not "must" so it doesn't matter either way

Bob Rennick
8-Nov-11, 02:08 PM
The rule says "should", not "must" so it doesn't matter either way

This is ridiculous.

Jamie:

Have the WHF change it to "MUST" right away. We don't need anyone getting hurt for the sake of semantics. Some people don't realise that the WHF have their safety in mind when coming up with this stuff. In my mind, safety is the number one priority and certainly takes precedence over having a "cool looking helmet".

Bob

loopy
9-Nov-11, 06:36 AM
I agree the rule is pretty pointelss as it stands.

However, the rule might be intended for safety, but personally the integrity of the helemt itself is in, my opinion, far more important than having a bright colour. The instistance on having a bright colour could well lead to someone buying a cheap and nasty helmet because its the only one the right colour. And in practice, I don't think the bright colour of a helmet will ever make a difference to how an incident is handled. And if you have a two bright orange blobs in the water - which one is the buoy? Actually more dangerous in my opinion!

And I think the look of a hovercraft including driver DOES matter, if we want the sport to be any more than a back yard hobby, its actually quite important to have a slick and consistent look in my opinion. We certainly take it into consideration when awarding our Concors D'Elegance trophy in the UK, as we are trying to encourage care to be taken over appearance!

Ewan Black
9-Nov-11, 08:27 PM
@Bob Rennick the whole colour of helmet thing is a red herring, the situation that lead to this knee jerk reaction was down to appalling marshalling and had nothing to do with the colour of the driver's helmet (red). Better marshal training would be of far more benefit. I chose to wear all black to race, on a bright day my helmet may well be easier to spot than a white or silver one.

I am above all delighted that WHF has at least removed the recommendation to paint your own helmets- if you want to look at safety issues- there's one to start on

Bob Rennick
10-Nov-11, 02:19 PM
@Bob Rennick the whole colour of helmet thing is a red herring,

I disagree with this assessment. I recall the first time I was involved in this discussion was in the USA when Michele was in the water and Conrad told me later that he only missed him "because he was wearing that orange helmet".

Subsequent to 2004, I've been discussing this with many others when similar incidents arose. It's not down to one incident of poor marshaling.

I still believe this to be the correct decision - even if it means you loose the 'all-black' look. I'd rather rather see you alive than having matching colours.

Bob

keates5632
11-Nov-11, 04:36 PM
I think its a dangerous game to ask people to purchase new helmets that are brightly coloured! If people have a perfectly good helmet currently (that happens to be dark) i think they are more likely to go and buy a cheap and cheerful brightly coloured one if they need to. In this situation this could actually make the situation a lot worse.
The helmet-skinz is a great idea and should be encouraged if this rule is going to be enforced.
Alternatively what about saying all drivers must wear a brightly coloured life jacket / bouyancy aid over the racing gear. I am pretty sure these are much cheaper than a racing helmet, and would have the same effect???
Thoughts...

Ewan Black
11-Nov-11, 05:21 PM
Motorsport is dangerous
I'm a big boy, and I accept the risk.
To my mind, an orange helmet is as dangerous as any other colour, given the similarlty to marker buoys.
I'm happy to accept WHF's suggestion that I should wear a bright helmet- I may even do so, but I assume the risk if I don't.

Now- why do power boaters wear orange helmets?- to be seen easily by rescuers. If you seriously think an off shore power boat could take avoiding action by the time an orange helmet was spotted in the kind of swell/wake they run in and at race speed, you're living in cloud cuckoo land.

Note to Bob Rennick: Helmet colour is not a scrutineering issue, it's in racing rules. WHF have as I understand it locked the rules down till their next meeting after WHC 2012. If WHF have written a bad rule, you can't demand that an individual (Jamie) take action on it.

Bob Rennick
11-Nov-11, 05:31 PM
Note to Bob Rennick: Helmet colour is not a scrutineering issue, it's in racing rules. WHF have as I understand it locked the rules down till their next meeting after WHC 2012. If WHF have written a bad rule, you can't demand that an individual (Jamie) take action on it.

Yes I can. Jamie, as Technical Director, is the keeper of the regulations. In the interest of safety, this type of change can happen very quickly. I know. I was in his position before.

Ewan Black
11-Nov-11, 06:08 PM
Bob- Motor racing is dangerous
are you going to ban that?

Ewan Black
11-Nov-11, 06:19 PM
"Crash helmets should be of very bright colour such that they can, depending on the nature of the racing environment, be very easily seen. Reflecting (fluorescent) colours are highly recommended. If relevant any countries legal requirements will take precedence over this rule but event Organisers will be required to make this known twelve months in advance"

Define bright
Define Very bright
define very easily seen
establish the measure to determine the difference between bright and very bright
All colours are reflecting- that's basic physics, otherwise you wouldn't see them
White is a fluorescent colour- discuss
countries should be country's
but=then

Scuba Kev
11-Nov-11, 07:18 PM
Bob, here is an example! where I thought my crash helmet was light, bright and you would think fairly reflective in the water here it would seem not!

the thread is about helmet skinz which are a great idea, my thoughts were only the fact we would look like a marker buoy and was said tongue in cheek as we all want to take the tight lines. These Skinz would also have to be removed when the craft gets scrutineered to check the condition of the crash helmet. Pretty much every racer out there would actually take note of a driverless craft and be aware that they aren't far from it, we also have waved yellow flags and a red one to stop the race if said swimmer is motionless or in a dangerous position on the racing line. If a driver comes out and gets run over surely it is because it is very close racing and there is no time to react, in which case the colour of a crash helmet isn't going to make the slightest bit of difference!!
But thankyou to Conrad who has gone out of his way to secure a discount, should we have to have hi-vis lids bearing in mind this is a cheaper option than a new helmet... painted or stickered up lids to make them 'bright' should have their straps cut.... just my opinion
Kev

Ewan Black
11-Nov-11, 07:26 PM
Helmet skinz are not acceptable- the rule relates to helmets, not covers. You can use the skin, but you'd still have to have a very bright helmet

Scuba Kev
11-Nov-11, 07:31 PM
Helmet skinz are not acceptable- the rule relates to helmets, not covers. You can use the skin, but you'd still have to have a very bright helmet

I'll polish it before the start of the season :rolleyes:

Ewan Black
11-Nov-11, 07:35 PM
By the way all, assuming Bob's outspoken demands get acted on, I can get the Nitro helmet range at a very good rate, to include a donation to Somerset Rural Youth Project

http://www.nitrorider.com/catalogue.html

Orders put in bulk (ie 10 or more) qualify for free P&P

Winst
12-Nov-11, 10:44 AM
I'll polish it before the start of the season :rolleyes:

There is a joke there but for fear of being banned from the forum I will resist ;)

hovmart
12-Nov-11, 01:55 PM
There is a joke there but for fear of being banned from the forum I will resist ;)
must have a shinny helmet, its in the rules

Bob Rennick
12-Nov-11, 02:21 PM
. . . Bob's outspoken demands . . .

. . . and your pedantic ravings are?????

No worries, Ewan. I won't go on. It is very obvious from your postings that all black, non visible is the best solution because motorsport is dangerous and we ought to do our best to keep it that way. So I'll keep my gob shut from now on.

Me-thinks of Darwin . . .

hovmart
12-Nov-11, 06:27 PM
. . . and your pedantic ravings are?????

No worries, Ewan. I won't go on. It is very obvious from your postings that all black, non visible is the best solution because motorsport is dangerous and we ought to do our best to keep it that way. So I'll keep my gob shut from now on.

Me-thinks of Darwin . . .
men in black with red helmets, not the same

coles2196/01
12-Nov-11, 07:05 PM
By the way all, assuming Bob's outspoken demands get acted on, I can get the Nitro helmet range at a very good rate, to include a donation to Somerset Rural Youth Project

http://www.nitrorider.com/catalogue.html

Orders put in bulk (ie 10 or more) qualify for free P&P

How can anyone buy a helmet without trying it on? I spent a day at Hickstead, going round all the stands that sold 'helmets' of the same size but different manufacturers, until I found the one that fitted my shape/sizeof head. If it is going to give any protection, it MUST fit properly without moving around.

Ewan Black
13-Nov-11, 10:48 AM
@ Bob, jolly good, the rule is fine as it stands. Sadly you missed the point about visibility, you may wish to look at Kevin's post and a little more closely at what I wrote about perceptions of buoys and discriminating bright colours against bright backgrounds.
@ Gill, there's a nitro dealer in most reasonably sized towns. What very few of them will stock is http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Nitro-N250-VX-Motorcycle-Power-Boat-Helmet-ORANGE-Large-/370527950076?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Helmets&hash=item56452fd4fc

coles2196/01
13-Nov-11, 07:38 PM
@ Bob, jolly good, the rule is fine as it stands. Sadly you missed the point about visibility, you may wish to look at Kevin's post and a little more closely at what I wrote about perceptions of buoys and discriminating bright colours against bright backgrounds.
@ Gill, there's a nitro dealer in most reasonably sized towns. What very few of them will stock is http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Nitro-N250-VX-Motorcycle-Power-Boat-Helmet-ORANGE-Large-/370527950076?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Helmets&hash=item56452fd4fc

Come shopping in Brighton!

'nuf said?

clarke5677
13-Nov-11, 07:46 PM
I think Ewan and Kev are spot on here, when a pilot has taken the dreaded swim (which we all do from time to time....) our competent and well trusted race Marshalls will wave the yellow flag, informing all to take caution, and if needs be the red flag will be waved if the driver is in a dangerous position/situation, or in the racing line.... in these people we trust, and they always make the right and best call for the situation.... also the swimmer is generally heading back towards the stricken-ed hovercraft, so care and attention is taken by all racers, a orange or brightly coloured object bobbing in the water, could be mistaken for a marker bouy.... I myself, and all my team mates in Team Nationwide Fire wear black helmets, red overalls and red life jackets, our team colours... the cost of new helmets in this current climate isn't a viable option, ours are two seasons old! The helmet skinz have a great aesthetic look, like Locky has, I will possibly purchase one, for vanities sake, but will always make sure its removed for the scrutineers.... if not I will be out in my 'dark helmet' (no guarantees it will be polished though...) next season.

Cheers

Darren - No. 95 Team Nationwide Fire 503

broad5186
13-Nov-11, 07:53 PM
a helmet which is brightly coloured with either a skin, it's own manufacturers colour or a pot of shocking pink ceiling emulsion from the DIY shop is a brightly coloured helmet

i think we should seriously consider skins as there have been more than one incident and it doesn't fall on wether marshalling is good or bad

every fishing float i ever owned was either bright green or orange to 'contrast' against the water and they always did

however one disadvantage of being buoy coloured in the water is that Rupert, Les and Dan will aim directly for you