PDA

View Full Version : Live from Saalburg Germany

Keith Oakley
17-Sep-10, 05:08 PM
Greetings from a sunny but cool and windy Saalburg. 3G access at 300kbits looks ok so we will aim to bring you live coverage of the last European Race meeting of the year tomorrow starting around 1300 CET (1200 noon UK time). The site is on the sandy and pebbly beach of a large lake, on the east side of Germany about midway between Berlin & Munich. The German club hope this will become a future worlds site.
Live coverage on www.hover-racing.org (http://www.hover-racing.org) from around 1200 noon UK time
Keith Oakley

daly5546
18-Sep-10, 06:38 AM
Morning Keith,

Unfortunately I will not be able to see it live because I'm doing a corporate at Jake's from 1.00pm.

Did you take all the kit with you?

Chris

Keith Oakley
18-Sep-10, 07:28 AM
Its a lovely sunny morning with little wind here - the europop is already blaring from the speakers. We've got a 3 camera setup. Henk Martens will be directing an all Dutch production team. He's already waving his arms around and talking camera angles etc. Race & Tv control is in a Portacabin office high above beach so good view of whole course from here.
Racing scheduled to start at 12 UK but we may get cameras on earlier.
Keith

atters
18-Sep-10, 11:04 AM
Just been on, nothing happening yet, will check in a bit again

Keith Oakley
18-Sep-10, 11:19 AM
1215 Uk -Paddock Open whilst course rearranged following this mornings practise. We currently expect a new practise sessin in about 30mins - which we will cover.
Keith

Keith Oakley
18-Sep-10, 11:40 AM
Thats 2 lorryloads of sand added to the beach so far!
Keith

yamah
18-Sep-10, 12:04 PM
c'mon get the geezers out of the way of the grader and let him do his work....
lol

seriously, the coverage just keeps on getting better...

well done

Yamah

Keith Oakley
18-Sep-10, 12:21 PM
Didn't find out till he'd finished that the grader driver was Michele Scanaveno F1 World Champ. Another of his talents.... Practise on new course now underway.
Keith

carlathomas
18-Sep-10, 12:28 PM
Keith, sound level is quite low here. Difficult to hear what you are saying. Is it me or does it need a boost your end?

carlathomas
18-Sep-10, 12:37 PM
Much better thanks Keith. :D

yamah
18-Sep-10, 12:41 PM
speakers here AUS are on 1.5 out of 10 and its plenty loud enough

that is with the little volume control at the rhs bottom of the screen on full

do you see that little volume control carla ??

make sure its got all it bars darkened
:)

yamah

carlathomas
18-Sep-10, 12:50 PM
It was already on full when I mentioned the sound to Keith.
He's sorted it and it's fine now. I can hear clearly.:D

Keith Oakley
18-Sep-10, 12:56 PM
Sound was a bit low leaving me. I've had trouble connecting to commentator so I'm just using ambient mic picking up commentary in German. Ray Wiles on camera1. 46 craft here, none from UK.
Keith

Hovertrekker
18-Sep-10, 01:37 PM
Greetings all! Watching the racing from Indiana this morning.

Scuba Kev
18-Sep-10, 01:50 PM
Greetings all! Watching the racing from Indiana this morning.

Watching the racing and you are not getting rained on that must be a nice feeling!

Hovertrekker
18-Sep-10, 01:50 PM
Is it possible for us to see the paddock area or the spectators?

Hovertrekker
18-Sep-10, 01:51 PM
Watching the racing and you are not getting rained on that must be a nice feeling!
Ha Ha I'd rather be racing and getting rained on than watching over the net!

Hovertrekker
18-Sep-10, 02:05 PM
Look at all the power boats moving around in the background, making wakes for all the racers to plow into. Sooooo predictable!!

Hovertrekker
18-Sep-10, 02:44 PM
Keith,
The mics picking up the ambient sound are drowning out the voice of the british commentator.

....Better now Thanks!

sorgatz
18-Sep-10, 03:26 PM
Guess I made it just in time, 2 minute warning for F1.... :D

Hovertrekker
18-Sep-10, 03:41 PM
Well done guys and gals. Good coverage, camera work, commentary, racing etc.. Next best thing to being there. See you tomorrow.

Keith Oakley
18-Sep-10, 03:50 PM
Thanks for the support and feedback. Todays coverage has been brought to you by a joint Dutch, German & British team. First race tomorrow scheduled for 1130 CET (1030 UK) We're off to party...
Keith

Keith Oakley
19-Sep-10, 07:17 AM
Beautiful sunny and calm morning. Racing scheduled to start at 1130am CET, 1030 UK
Keith

Keith Oakley
19-Sep-10, 10:29 AM
Currently on paddock open. 2nd session of racing due to start at 1330 CET (1230UK time)
Keith

Keith Oakley
19-Sep-10, 11:34 AM
2nd session underway
Keith

Tristan Rhodes
19-Sep-10, 11:40 AM
Keith,

The commentary and sound in general is very muffled....

Video is very smooth. Good coverage!

Keith Oakley
19-Sep-10, 12:07 PM
Ok we'll work on the sound. There will be a 3rd session of racing today. Currently we're on 2nd
Keith

Tristan Rhodes
19-Sep-10, 12:43 PM
Sound still very muffled, can just about make out some english commentary.

That was a spectacular F1 crash! Hope all are OK. Did Feulner's craft sink?

Keith Oakley
19-Sep-10, 12:56 PM
If John Pert is watching Frank Craemers want to know if he can send an engine (Weslake lift) back to for mods?
Keith

Daniel Newton
19-Sep-10, 01:14 PM
hi keith can you show his craft when they get it back to the shore?

Dan Newton

Broni Black
19-Sep-10, 01:14 PM
Great coverage as always Keith! :) Sounds fine over here
And great racing! 10/10 for the F1 crash!
And congrats to Tony Osterman earlier, although I see he's out in a different craft to the Worlds?
Looking forward to seeing little Lucas race too. :)
Thanks for all your work Keith & team! :D

peach4730
19-Sep-10, 01:26 PM
hi keith
passed your message to perty. can you ask dan newton to answer his phone cheers.
charlie

Broni Black
19-Sep-10, 02:34 PM
I'm not getting the video anymore... Is it just Me?

Bob Rennick
19-Sep-10, 02:46 PM
I'm not getting the video anymore... Is it just Me?

I've lost it too! (So you're not so special!! :D )

Bob Rennick
19-Sep-10, 02:46 PM
I've lost it too! (So you're not so special!! :D )

Got it back!

Keith Oakley
19-Sep-10, 02:48 PM
Sorry - had to put 4euros on broadband meter!!!!
Keith

Broni Black
19-Sep-10, 02:48 PM
Got it back!

Same here! Gutted I missed the only Junior though!

Bob Rennick
19-Sep-10, 02:55 PM
Got it back!

Lost it again. :(

Bob Rennick
19-Sep-10, 02:56 PM
Lost it again. :(

How come I seem to loose it at every F2 race? I've no idea what's happening in F2!!

Keith Oakley
19-Sep-10, 02:59 PM
Back after 2d dropout - just in time for last F1 race
keith

Bob Rennick
19-Sep-10, 03:09 PM
Back after 2d dropout - just in time for last F1 race
keith

Thanks Keith. Can you recap the F2 results?

Broni Black
19-Sep-10, 03:10 PM
What were the positions of the final f2 race?
Will we be able to watch the prize giving? :)

Bob Rennick
19-Sep-10, 03:22 PM
Thanks Keith. Can you recap the F2 results?

Cheers, Keith!

Broni Black
19-Sep-10, 03:41 PM
Thank you Keith! :)

Bob Rennick
19-Sep-10, 03:51 PM
I think Andreas Feulner deserves a special "unterseeboot" award!

peach4730
19-Sep-10, 04:00 PM
cracking viewing been watching with steve miligan this afternoon thanks to keith and his team.

Jon Pert
19-Sep-10, 04:43 PM
If John Pert is watching Frank Craemers want to know if he can send an engine (Weslake lift) back to for mods?
Keith

Hi Keith. If you have my email address can you pass it on to Frank and get him to email me. Sorry been a bit busy today with weddingy stuff.

Keith Oakley
19-Sep-10, 05:02 PM
Hi Jon - we're bringing engine with us, hope thats ok
Keith

Jon Pert
19-Sep-10, 05:07 PM
No probs.

Keith Oakley
19-Sep-10, 05:29 PM
Racing from Saalburg now ended. Click on laptimes and points buttons at top of live page - www.hover-racing.org (http://www.hover-racing.org) Replay videos won't be available until wednesday.
See you at Jakes next weekend
Keith

Keith Oakley
21-Sep-10, 11:18 AM
The first video replay from Saalburg is now available on www.replay.raceresults.info (http://www.replay.raceresults.info). Click on 'early sun video' in the Saalburg section. This video includes Andreas Feulner's (303) first sinking. Use the slider to fast forward to 110:30 for the start of that F1 2nd race on sunday.

At the end of the long water straight on the first lap Andreas was chasing the leader Michele Scanaveno (901) into the turn, but did a complete 360 degree sideways barrel roll, amazingly ending up still sat in the craft. Other craft then piled in, Emil Hall 505 doing a very similar roll but surviving. Although Andreas was unhurt his craft sank in seconds. The divers from the rescue boat lost contact with the craft and had to search for it in 30metres (100 feet) of water. After around 20 mins they found it, and recovered it to shore.

Andreas started in the rerun in his spare craft (normally driven by his brother) but was disqualified because using a spare craft in a rerun isn't allowed! He then started in the spare craft in the next race but halfway along the water straight the prop shaft snapped. The whole fan hub and top pulley assembly was contained within the duct. This craft floated, albeit just underwater, and was recovered more easily.

Overall a great event with 46 craft, but none from the UK. Interesting course - the very coarse gravel /rocks on the beach were deemed unacceptable after saturdays practise so 2 lorryloads of sand were spread on the beach by Michele Scanaveno driving a borrowed grading machine. The sand was preferable to the rocks but, despite the efforts of the local fire brigade hosing it down, it was a filter blocker!

My thanks to the European team that operated the webcast and ELS timing systems. Lapcharts and results tables are on the replay page.

Keith Oakley