PDA

View Full Version : new member :-)

krothero
7-Oct-10, 03:20 PM
Hi Folks, I've joined this club to get some information. im new to hovering and im thinking of designing and building a craft from scratch. im an aircraft engineer by trade so the technicalities wont be a problem. any help or advice would be greatly appreciated! especialy on finger skirt design. I've already found some interesting bits and bobs, but any more info is always welcome. like what the difference in shape between a straight finger and an extended finger is? it's not going to be a racing craft, more of a recreational toy. i look forward to hearing from any of you!
cheers, karl.:D
p.s. ive had my account validated, but i still cant view any of the galleries?
does anyone know why this is? thanks

Winst
8-Oct-10, 07:20 AM
p.s. ive had my account validated, but i still cant view any of the galleries?
does anyone know why this is? thanks

Jon Pert will be able to help you with this.
Shouldn't be long before he appears.

Jon Pert
8-Oct-10, 07:57 AM
Hmmm, odd.

Do you get any error messages when you try and view an album?

Try viewing this one and let me know what happens...

http://www.hovercraft.org.uk/album.php?albumid=26

broad5186
8-Oct-10, 07:59 AM
hello and welcome to our world

a bit more info on your ideas would help - one person ? sea or inland - engine type/size

a craft from scratch is a daunting task, there are several sets of plans for various craft that make the home build process easier and you can alter and develop them to suit your needs

the clubs plans for the challenger are a little dated now and the skirt is not perfect

skirt design as with most aspects of hovercraft is a deep dark hole and you'll get five different answers to the same question - skirt design differs from craft to craft based on the weight and footprint of the skirt, finger skirts are relativley straightforward to make but getting skirt design right first time with a scratch build will be a challenge

i'm sure you'll have more questions than answers just keep asking and we'll do our best to guide you

have a look at some working craft first or even get a 2nd hand one to cut your teeth on so you're having fun whilst finding out about them rather than 2 years in the garage surrounded by dust and box section steel wishing things were moving along a bit quicker

good luck Tony

good luck

krothero
12-Oct-10, 08:08 AM
hi guys, thanks for the help, the galleries issue is sorted, i guess it just took a little time catch up or something? anyways, the craft im going to build is going to be made mostly from plywood. it will a 50hp wankel rotary aircraft engine in it for the thrust with a 2 bladed wooden prop. and i have an 18" ducted fan for the lift which will be driven by a second engine in the bow. im intending it to be used on land and water so i know i have to have enough boyancy for it to float with no power. this isnt going to be a proffessional craft by any means, but it will be an educated bodge craft. im looking forward to getting it started.
i've only just moved house though so it will probably be a next summer project. im just collecting parts and ideas for the moment so i can get it done in one go when im ready. i will make sure i do a good picture gallery of my progress once it begins, and i look forward to showing it off, or hanging my head in shame when/if it does or doesnt work :-)

Brian G. Reynolds
12-Oct-10, 12:35 PM
Hello and welcome, have a gander at my early pictures of when I built a Challenger.

I had great fun with it and I am glad I entered racing this way due to the crashes I had during the learning stage!

Click (http://www.reynolds-towers.com/coppermine/index.php?cat=61)

A great sport indeed!

B.

Winst
12-Oct-10, 01:50 PM
That brings back some memories of when we built one at school.

krothero
12-Oct-10, 03:27 PM
thanks brian, those pictures helped a bit. thats the sort of thing im looking at building, although mine will be a twin engine to keep things simple :-) believe it or not, i've learned a whole lot just by joining this site, so cheers all of you! :-D if anyone can help with where i can find skirt segment patterns it would be most appreciated. i have one, and i think i could work out how to adapt it to suit, but to see how its actualy done would really help. like for example, whats the difference in shape between a normal finger and an extended finger? and with the rear segments is one big anti scoop flap better? or each segment having its own small flap?
cheers for any help folks!

Jon Pert
12-Oct-10, 04:39 PM
believe it or not, i've learned a whole lot just by joining this site

There's even more info in the club member areas. It may be worth joining the club as it will only be a small amount compared to the amount of money you will spend on the build. http://www.jonrb.com/emoticons/thumbs.gif

Al
12-Oct-10, 06:35 PM
Before embarking on building a hovercraft from scratch, you need to consider what your craft will be used for, where it will be used, field, river, open sea. Whether you want to race it, or cruise. All these will have a bearing on hull design. I'm no expert and built a 16 foot sevtec serveyor from plans, but I would not want to design one from scratch knowing what I know now. A set of plans of a proven design is not going to cost a lot in comparison of what you will spend on building a craft. Expect to spend 12 months plus building & a fair amount of money, which could be wasted if your design does not work.

I'm not trying to put you off, far from it. I hope you do build a craft, but consider building a proven design. Hovercraft are great fun and building one becomes very addictive, as I,m sure others will back me up on, but hovercraft can also be very tempermental and costly if the design is not right.

krothero
13-Oct-10, 12:51 PM
hi, thanks for the new comments, as i said before, it will be used mostly on land and water, i dont think i will be using it in the sea. I wont be using it for racing, just for fun really so it doesnt have to be a super performance machine. i will be building something similar to whats already out there, it wont be anything radicaly different. im going to make scale models to help me work out how to build it, and i can guarentee you it will be the bodge of the century, but im pretty confident i can get it to work :-) and i think building a craft myself from plans in my head will be ultimatly more rewarding than using someone elses plans. i know this is fool hardy, but hey, im a bloke, we dont use instructions! they're for wimps! ha ha! :-D and i wont lose any sleep if it doesnt work, i'll just build an ATV or soemthing for my wankel to go in instead :-)
thanks again for any help or advice advanced

Jon Pert
13-Oct-10, 02:11 PM
...but im pretty confident i can get it to work :-) and i think building a craft myself from plans in my head will be ultimatly more rewarding than using someone elses plans..

Famous last words. http://www.jonrb.com/emoticons/rolleyes.gif

Good luck.

Keep us posted with your project.

squidwood
13-Oct-10, 09:20 PM
Hi, I to am new and I also wish to build my own hovercraft,

I have started to design my own but thought I'd better get some information before I go too far down the wrong road!!

I hope I am in the right place and on the right track!

Dave

Al
13-Oct-10, 09:55 PM
HI Squidwood & welcome.

Same advice regarding designing your own as given above. Decide what you want to use the hovercraft for as this effects hull design. How big, how many people you wish to carry. Integrated, seperate thrust & lift engines. lots to think about. As a first project consider buying a set of plans or a kit for a proven design. The cost of the plans is insignificant compared to what a hovercraft is going to cost you to build & the amount of time invested on your part. What ever you decide build it light as weight is your enemy.

squidwood
13-Oct-10, 10:29 PM
Thanks.

think i will go for the plans as like you said the design will work.

i require the craft to carry two people, would like it to be able to move over land and water and a speed of 30mph ish!!

i want to build my own to learn more about the hovercraft, and plus i enjoy making things, (i built a boat last year) i have access to most resources like wood, metal and fibre glass and i guess my time is my own!

I just realy want one :)

Dave

broad5186
13-Oct-10, 10:52 PM
hi - looking at your pdf it's a bit on the small side - most single seaters are approx 3m x 1.8m and a 500mm fan will be small and very noisy

stick to a known plan to start with or make good a 2nd hand craft, otherwise you could spend a lot of time and be very disappointed

good luck and keep us posted

gaz
14-Oct-10, 08:12 PM
Thanks.

think i will go for the plans as like you said the design will work.

i require the craft to carry two people, would like it to be able to move over land and water and a speed of 30mph ish!!

i want to build my own to learn more about the hovercraft, and plus i enjoy making things, (i built a boat last year) i have access to most resources like wood, metal and fibre glass and i guess my time is my own!

I just realy want one :)

Dave

I can recomend the ASV pics here (http://www.hovercraft.org.uk/album.php?albumid=33) had fun building and having fun using mine, please PM me if you need more info.
Gaz

Al
14-Oct-10, 09:02 PM
Nice job Gaz.

Ewan Black
14-Oct-10, 09:13 PM
That brings back some memories of when we built one at school.
That was a YOUTH CLUB not a school, pillock- the school were against it!

Philip
14-Oct-10, 10:01 PM

pillock [ˈpɪlək]n Brit slang a stupid or annoying person[from Scandinavian dialect pillicock penis]

Collins English Dictionary Complete and Unabridged (http://www.thefreedictionary.com/_/misc/HarperCollinsProducts.aspx?English) HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003

Never was sure what that ment so I looked it up:):)

Winst
15-Oct-10, 09:15 AM

I stand corrected :p
(just booked flight to Scandinavia)

squidwood
15-Oct-10, 09:15 PM
I can recomend the ASV pics here (http://www.hovercraft.org.uk/album.php?albumid=33) had fun building and having fun using mine, please PM me if you need more info.
Gaz

Great looking craft you made there, now thats what I want to build,

How much are the plans?

Thanks

Al
16-Oct-10, 06:28 AM
You could also check out the Sevtec range of plans.

They can be found here: http://www.amphibiousmarine.com/catalog/

Have a searched on you tube for hovercraft & loads of different hovers will show up. Sevtec, universal hovercraft etc.

Avoid type you see for sale on ebay all the time, "the wooden ones with the flat top" as these are only really suitable for field use. It is rare to find a good hovercraft for sale, unless its owner is uprading.

Take your time to work out what you want the craft for & where it will be used, talk to owners of different home built craft, then you won't go far wrong.

gaz
16-Oct-10, 06:43 AM
How much are the plans?

the plans where about 60 5 years ago, i have no idea what they are now. Be warned though the plans will get you through the building of the hull but you will have to design and build you own powertrain unless you want to import ASV's. Not difficult but not a doddle either. click for ASV's website (http://www.asv-aust.com/products/e2.htm).

keitht
12-Nov-10, 05:00 PM
I've just built an extended eagle1 from plans I got from K&M Products for 35
Great fun building it , took about 7 weeks, had a few teething problems during testing but seems fine now, just need somewhere to take it out.
See pic below or type in dumfries hovercraft in you tube

smert
12-Nov-10, 06:05 PM
the plans where about 60 5 years ago, i have no idea what they are now.... click for ASV's website (http://www.asv-aust.com/products/e2.htm).

How did you find dealing with ASV? I have sent them a couple of emails about their plans, but no response.

gaz
13-Nov-10, 05:46 AM
I have had no problems with email's. is there reply getting trapped in a spam filter somwhere?
I had to phone them a while back an couldn't get through even after checked i had the right time zone. I changed tack from an afternoon call to early morning and got an answer. apparently they work odd hours to fit around surfing.