PDA

View Full Version : Hover hawks

HoverTim
17-Oct-10, 07:56 AM
Hello all
i am doing some research on these craft and i am trying to track down owners does anyone have any contacts fro them apart from chris walker as i have been to see him already and i have seen the hover museums collection of them for type of craft see http://www.flickr.com/photos/19759955@N07/5081069034/in/set-72157625037332773/

Brian G. Reynolds
17-Oct-10, 11:37 AM
Hi, great pictures there!

I re-built one way back as a school project and those pictures bring back great memories!

It was one of the White Nile vehicles which was not in too bad a condition just needed a lot of TLC and a new skirt.

I eventually got it working but only flew it for a short distance on the school playing field.
I never knew what happened to it after I left school, but if you ever hear of its whereabouts I would love to know!

Happy days,

Brian.

campbe5177
18-Oct-10, 01:22 PM
Good luck with finding Hoverhawks.
I had one in 1990/91 which I did up. It had the Velocette Viceroy engines. It had been a film property and the engines were dismantled when I bought it (170 plus a Casio keyboard). I sprayed it Ford Daytona yellow with red ducts and fins. A chap bought it to ferry his child to school on a daily basis(from Oronsay to Colonsay). I flew low over Oronsay a year or two later and it was sitting on the beach seemingly ready to do the ferry run.

(Correction Chris. 1986/87. You had the Falcoln in 1990/91. LIZ)

KipMac
18-Oct-10, 05:30 PM
I wonder if that was before he bought a Freedom 3 to do exactly the same job.
My Doreen and I were lucky enough to stay the night with him in the farm househaving driven all the way to deliver it.Fantastic trip with amazing scenery.
That made a total of 5 people on the island that night.
I remember that on arrival we were asked that if we found any human bones would we please leave them in the pile in the ruined monastery.
A trip to remember.
I am suprised that I never heard about the Hover Hawk.
Unfortunately the Island was sold shortly afterwards and he had to leave.
I still have a few photos.

Kip

HoverTim
20-Oct-10, 06:04 PM
i am thinking about making a model of one (working) and the olny craft i have seen are at the museums white one and a red one i am looking for other colurs really as white is very hard to keep clean

Hawkskipper
25-Oct-10, 02:47 PM
Hi read you blog and scaned through your picture 'amazing' we that is the North Queensferry boat club have a hawk. It is a Mk II with valosette main engine and villiers 9E side engine, we are currently in the proses of doing it up.

Regards Dave

Hello all
i am doing some research on these craft and i am trying to track down owners does anyone have any contacts fro them apart from chris walker as i have been to see him already and i have seen the hover museums collection of them for type of craft see http://www.flickr.com/photos/19759955@N07/5081069034/in/set-72157625037332773/

Keith Oakley
26-Oct-10, 08:52 AM
I wonder if the two Villiers 9E thrust engines are original or replacements fitted by some later owner? I only remember early HoverHawks being fitted with the 15bhp twin cylinder 250cc Velocette Viceroy bike engine, even the wooden prototype I saw being built by Australian Dan Reece at the Jan 1967 Earls Court boat show. The 9bhp Villiers 9E 197cc single cylinder engine was used in the blue invalid cars and was available cheaply from scrapyards and thus often used by amateurs like me rather than the Velocette which was bought new. For the princely sum of 7 10s (a weeks wages) you could buy a new 250cc barrel and piston for your 9E upgrading it to 11bhp! On my second craft I had two 9E thrust engines mounted on the side of the craft, like the Hawk but able to swivel like an N4 pylon - far too complicated. Later Hawks had Wankel engines with an outstanding 20bhp!!

If it is an upgrade I wonder if its a hull sold without engines at the HoverAir liquidation auction in late 1971? 55 craft were sold that day. A lot of amateurs like myself bought useful bits at the auction, I still have some Hawk seat cushions. I can't find my copy of the catalogue but maybe the Museum has one.

I remember driving a wooden Hawk on the runway at Biggin Hill in 67/8. Because the thrust props were mounted amidships on the side of the craft they were a long way from the rudders at the back, thus the rudders weren't very effective because there wasn't much airflow over them until you picked up speed. The craft was very responsive to varying the thrust throttles, tank style, but I found it difficult to keep a straight line like this. Consequently the craft had a magnetic attraction to the drains on the side of the runway. Cross these too slowly and you lost lift needing a pull to get released. Others found the side mounted props overhanging the side of the craft were very easy to knock off!

2 * 15bhp Hawks only just went over hump on water so I doubt a 2 * 9bhp Hawk will. My own 2* 11bhp craft only went over hump if you went onto the water over hump speed and then didn't turn thus loosing momentum. It would not go back over hump on water. The 9E, like other engines of that vintage, lack electronic ignition and thus don't like water, especially salt. A common cause of failure was salt particles bridged across contact breaker points, which killed the spark.

Keith Oakley

penfold
26-Oct-10, 01:25 PM
Stuff about ancient British 2-strokes
Sounds like a lot of good reasons to change them for something more reliable and more powerful, maybe even lighter in weight. Has anyone done that?

firth5731
27-Oct-10, 08:14 PM
i sold 2 kipor 20hp v twin engines to a chap who said he was putting them in a hoverhawk.
that is all i know maybe someone knows more?

Hawkskipper
1-Nov-10, 11:20 AM
Hi Keith
many thanks for your reply, it was very informative. unfortunatly I don't know the history of this craft apart from it last user was the Scottish Water Board and the makers plate No 680H009. As I and the members of our boat club are complet novises wen it comes to Hover Craft we can only bought it so we can go out on the mud flats at low tide to check moorings, that why we are looking for any information / help that will get us up and running

I wonder if the two Villiers 9E thrust engines are original or replacements fitted by some later owner? I only remember early HoverHawks being fitted with the 15bhp twin cylinder 250cc Velocette Viceroy bike engine, even the wooden prototype I saw being built by Australian Dan Reece at the Jan 1967 Earls Court boat show. The 9bhp Villiers 9E 197cc single cylinder engine was used in the blue invalid cars and was available cheaply from scrapyards and thus often used by amateurs like me rather than the Velocette which was bought new. For the princely sum of 7 10s (a weeks wages) you could buy a new 250cc barrel and piston for your 9E upgrading it to 11bhp! On my second craft I had two 9E thrust engines mounted on the side of the craft, like the Hawk but able to swivel like an N4 pylon - far too complicated. Later Hawks had Wankel engines with an outstanding 20bhp!!

If it is an upgrade I wonder if its a hull sold without engines at the HoverAir liquidation auction in late 1971? 55 craft were sold that day. A lot of amateurs like myself bought useful bits at the auction, I still have some Hawk seat cushions. I can't find my copy of the catalogue but maybe the Museum has one.

I remember driving a wooden Hawk on the runway at Biggin Hill in 67/8. Because the thrust props were mounted amidships on the side of the craft they were a long way from the rudders at the back, thus the rudders weren't very effective because there wasn't much airflow over them until you picked up speed. The craft was very responsive to varying the thrust throttles, tank style, but I found it difficult to keep a straight line like this. Consequently the craft had a magnetic attraction to the drains on the side of the runway. Cross these too slowly and you lost lift needing a pull to get released. Others found the side mounted props overhanging the side of the craft were very easy to knock off!

2 * 15bhp Hawks only just went over hump on water so I doubt a 2 * 9bhp Hawk will. My own 2* 11bhp craft only went over hump if you went onto the water over hump speed and then didn't turn thus loosing momentum. It would not go back over hump on water. The 9E, like other engines of that vintage, lack electronic ignition and thus don't like water, especially salt. A common cause of failure was salt particles bridged across contact breaker points, which killed the spark.

Keith Oakley

Keith Oakley
1-Nov-10, 01:04 PM
I think you're likely to be disappointed with the performance of the craft on a mission like that. The old design of the engines and the exposed nature of the way they are mounted on the side of the craft means they will be very unreliable in mud/salt spray. Loose one thrust engine and the craft will just spin in circles. Because of its high weight and low power the craft is very unlikely to go over hump having lost hump speed, particularly in shallow water. So having gone out to a mooring and stopped, or turned too quickly loosing hump speed, you will not be able to regain it so you will return to land at low speed, in a cloud of mud/spray, which will probably result in one or more engines cutting out.

Sorry to paint such a negative picture but thats a fairly demanding mission even for a modern craft. A Hoverhawk with 2 9Es wouldn't have done it reliably when it was new 42 years ago. You could upgrade it with more powerful modern engines, but you still have a heavy hull and side mounted thrust engines are positively dangerous when coming alongside a moored boat.

Keith

asrh-gb
2-Nov-10, 02:35 PM
sorry to go off at a tangent but on the flicker sits can any one tell me what the other craft on pictures no. hm84 and c01 it looks like a intergrated vertion of my craft ?

HoverTim
3-Nov-10, 05:44 PM
you own a hover hawk i would realy appreiate any pics you have of her as for the picture i am not sure they were given to me by a friend

Hawkskipper
8-Nov-10, 03:30 PM
Hi I belong to a boat club in North Queensferry we have a hoverhawk we are renavating, do not knows its history, but have been told it is a MkII its number is 6810H009

Regards Dave

Hello all

Hawkskipper
8-Apr-12, 11:27 AM
Hi all good to be back, well our Hoverhawk is almost finnished, we changed the propushon engins for Sachs Wankel's, but have run into a bit of a problem with wireing up the Rev Counters, Can any body help

Reagrda Hoverskipper