PDA

View Full Version : Evesham balloon festival

Bryan
1-Nov-10, 01:10 PM
Hi everyone i have been approached again from organizer of the festival. This year the date is 3rd 4th June. Support was great last year and everyone who attended had a great time.
Same sort of thing this year lots of craft on display and short displays every hour. Great weekend to relax and enjoy the free event.
The event is open to all craft what ever the state of repair or condition.
As always this is in need of your support so please come forward and join if you can. I would like to gather rough numbers before i commit to the event on behave of the club.

gaz
1-Nov-10, 05:23 PM
you can count sue and I in again, fantastic event.

carlathomas
1-Nov-10, 06:43 PM
Fantastic Bryan. Kevin and I will definitely be there again. Loved it this year. :D

loopy
2-Nov-10, 07:10 AM
Hi Bryan,

3rd & 4th of june is a friday and saturday, is that correct?

do you want it adding to the club calendar?

Winst
2-Nov-10, 08:53 AM
Count me in

Bryan
3-Nov-10, 07:32 PM
Hi Lou just checking the dates and as usual i,m wrong. Dates are the 4th and 5th of June arrive on the afternoon of the 3rd. Oh and yes please do add the dates to the events calender.

daly5546
11-May-11, 06:06 PM
Is this still on?

There are a number of people who would like to attend.

Chris

KevinT
11-May-11, 10:00 PM
Well the website is still stating that Hovercraft displays will be ongoing:

http://www.eveshamhotairfest.com/

Kevin

Jon Pert
12-May-11, 06:54 AM
Hi all,

Quick update. Unfortunately we have had to let the guy know that we cannot make it this year. Bryan will be on his way back from the Scottish Cruise that weekend and I have other commitments. We did ask around if anyone wanted to step up and organise this but to no avail.

Bryan has said that we can probably sort something for next year and the guy is quite happy with that.

daly5546
12-May-11, 07:42 AM
[QUOTE=Jon Pert;73588]Hi all,
We did ask around if anyone wanted to step up and organise this but to no avail.

Hi Jon,

Please can you forward the contact details. There are several members who would like to go to this event with their craft and they are not away elsewhere that weekend.

Thanks

Chris

Jon Pert
12-May-11, 08:54 AM
We can chat about it tomorrow evening or Saturday if you like chap. I'll make sure me or Bryan bring the details.

If it goes ahead make sure you take loads of larg, the evening do is excellent!!!! I think, I can't really remember to much of last years due to the bad influence of messers Marie and Lorna! http://www.jonrb.com/emoticons/wine.gif

trussl2907
12-May-11, 10:05 AM
Nothing to do with us at all Jon, i think you managed it all on your own.

The Dragon
12-May-11, 10:15 AM

Like you usually do!!! :D

Jon Pert
12-May-11, 12:00 PM

Nope, all your doing, I am usually so restrained. http://www.jonrb.com/emoticons/angel3.gif

Jon Pert
12-May-11, 12:01 PM
Like you usually do!!! :D

I don't know what you mean! As above I am such an http://www.jonrb.com/emoticons/angel2.gif

Winst
12-May-11, 01:53 PM
I am such an http://www.jonrb.com/emoticons/angel2.gif

Female angel :confused:

Jon Pert
12-May-11, 02:32 PM
Female angel :confused:

http://www.jonrb.com/emoticons/hahano.gif

Cheered up yet RODney?

Winst
12-May-11, 02:36 PM
http://www.jonrb.com/emoticons/hahano.gif

Cheered up yet RODney?

Yep :p New engine is at Slap's house (AKA Legend) and will be ready for rother (fingers crossed)

Brian G. Reynolds
12-May-11, 03:22 PM
I hate to say anything but I DID volunteer to organise this event, albeit with advice, back in April....

B.

Jon Pert
12-May-11, 03:29 PM
I hate to say anything but I DID volunteer to organise this event, albeit with advice, back in April....

B.

Did not know this, so ta!

Bryan
12-May-11, 07:19 PM
Hi all i,m sure that the organiser would be open to a few members turning up and putting on a static display. However time is short!!!!. Volunteers are always in short supply. Please don,t hold back as this is a cracking event which costs nothing to attend. I am more than happy to get things sorted all the volunteers have to do is drum up attendes and be there to meet and greet.
Sadly no one stepped up........ as usual....... and another event takes a dive!.
Don,t panic the event will be back next year in force.

daly5546
13-May-11, 04:39 AM
Please will any member who wants to go PM me ASAP. Remember to ask those who do not read the forum as well.

I will be happy to help with this event. Those that went last year really enjoyed it.

Thanks

Chris

gaz
13-May-11, 05:51 AM
I am willing to be the point of contact for a static display at Evesham, i just dont have time to get and take back the Equipment needed for the full monty! If all we need is rope and posts for a static display I can borrow them from here and bring them with me

daly5546
13-May-11, 06:11 AM
Thanks Gaz,

Ropes and posts will be arranged.

Can you ask Brian and Martin Lock if they want to come?

Chris

gaz
13-May-11, 07:01 AM
Thanks Gaz,

Can you ask Brian and Martin Lock if they want to come?

Chris

Sure will

gaz
13-May-11, 07:28 AM

I can sort them (borrowed from a local downhill mountain bike club) so dont worry i will bring them with me

daly5546
13-May-11, 08:01 AM
Thanks.

Chris

Bryan
13-May-11, 05:40 PM
Ok its back on...... At the moment its static display only. But this may change after i have spoken with Chris on Sat. The organizer was pleased to here from us and was delighted that there would be craft attending. So in short this is a fantastic opportunity to sit in a park with a beer listening to live music and watch a fantastic evening show........ all for free!!!.
If your going please drag a craft of some sort behind the camper.
Details: arrive after 3pm on Friday the 3th. If you plan to arrive on Saturday be there before 8am or the gates will be locked.
On the Sunday the show finishes around 2.30 so there is plenty of time to get home. Have a good time!

daly5546
19-May-11, 05:52 AM
So far there are about a dozen craft going to Evesham.

Jo Driscoll and the New Recreation Committee are sorting out the details with the organisers.

It looks like it will be a great weekend.

Please can those who want to go let Jo, or myself, know so that the space available can be best used.

Thank you to those who already have.

Chris

gaz
19-May-11, 06:07 AM
cant help but feel a bit pi55ed off here chris, since when did this become an HCGB event. I could have sworn I was point of contact for this event as no one else stood up to the mark. all of a sudden I am out of the loop and Rec Com are in charge.

And you wonder why people leave the HCGB!

nothing personal, just saying it as i see it AGAIN

ps. this was origanally an event organised as a get together of all sides of hovercrafting with no banner of either club, and it worked extreamly well. please dont spoil that.

daly5546
19-May-11, 06:51 AM
cant help but feel a bit pi55ed off here chris, since when did this become an HCGB event. I could have sworn I was point of contact for this event as no one else stood up to the mark. all of a sudden I am out of the loop and Rec Com are in charge.

And you wonder why people leave the HCGB!

nothing personal, just saying it as i see it AGAIN

ps. this was origanally an event organised as a get together of all sides of hovercrafting with no banner of either club, and it worked extreamly well. please dont spoil that.

Hi Gaz,

My words were probably badly used.
This is not an HCGB Event.
Jo and the committee are helping members attend this function. They will communicate the requirements of the organisers to members and encourage them to attend. They will explain the do's and dont's to those who wish to go and spend some time talking hovercraft. (ie Insurance requirements, site operating rules etc)

Our telephone conversation this morning confirmed this and I look forward to meeting up there.

Please can you encourage anyone with a hovercraft, who is not reading this, to come and join in the fun.

We will gather and share another hovercraft event with like minded people.

Keep in touch.

Chris

daly5546
19-May-11, 06:54 AM
PS.
Gaz,

If you bring the pins, posts and rope, I will bring the netting.

Chris

Brian G. Reynolds
19-May-11, 07:21 AM
.... as no one else stood up to the mark. all of a sudden I am out of the loop and Rec Com are in charge.

Sorry to pick you up here Gaz as you are way too big to argue with! But I DID volunteer to take over this event back in the begining of April as I said a little bit ago.......

B.

gaz
19-May-11, 07:36 AM
sorry all, must have got out the wrong side of bed this morning. I am looking forward to this event and want it to be as relaxing as last years.

Brian... sorry mate, I forgot you had made an earlier offer. not sure how that got overlooked. are you attending this years meeting?

Bryan
19-May-11, 06:34 PM
Boys calm yourselfs. Gaz if you could sort out the Hoverclub and Chris the HCGB all will come together on the day. A monkey can organise this event thats why it went so well for John Pert and me!!.

jodrisc
20-May-11, 08:29 AM
Good morning.... Monkey Girl here....

I have just spoken to the organiser, (sounds like a very nice man!) and he is very excited about the whole event and very happy for as many craft and people to attend. The site is open for camping from Friday afternoon to late Sunday evening, there is security onsite from Saturday morning but not on Friday night. We will have a camping area next to our static stand as well as having an area for the insured 2 seater min craft to opperate giving donation paid rides. Unfortunetly we can not opperate any other craft that is not self insured so this does stop us giving the around camp site demo that has happened in the past. We have also been offered the use of the slip way to use the river, but again for the use of self insured craft only. also crash helmets have to be worn by passengers at all times. The organiser has asked me to give him an indication of numbers both of craft and campers so he can allow us enough room, so if you are interested to come talk hovers with the nice people of Evesham please drop me an email on jodrisc@gmail.com

lookforward to seeing many of you at Rother... if not Evesham... and don't forget to pack your ear plugs if you want a lie in....

jo

(NRC)

Jon Pert
20-May-11, 08:34 AM
We have also been offered the use of the slip way to use the river, but again for the use of self insured craft only.

Please, please do not use this at all!!!!

Mr Trussler did a test run on it last year and it was not worth the hassle. Speed limit is too low, river is too busy and narrow and we had a very unhappy boat resident turn up with coffee spilt all over him.

We tried, we learnt, we won't do it again! It does nothing to help the hovercraft community in any way!

Have fun.

Jon Pert
20-May-11, 08:36 AM
A monkey can organise this event thats why it went so well for John Pert and me!!.

http://www.jonrb.com/emoticons/monkey.gif

jodrisc
20-May-11, 09:39 AM
Thanks for the tip Jon...... eek hot coffee in soft places... not nice.... !! xx

Al
20-May-11, 11:17 AM
Thanks for the tip Jon...... eek hot coffee in soft places... not nice.... !! xx

He was probably trying to drink it through an organic straw:)

gaz
23-May-11, 06:17 AM
Details: arrive after 3pm on Friday the 3th. If you plan to arrive on Saturday be there before 8am or the gates will be locked.
On the Sunday the show finishes around 2.30 so there is plenty of time to get home. Have a good time!

just thought i would reinforce this snippet from bryan as the arrival time is quite important, arrive late and find yourself on the wrong side of the gate. Same info on posted on the HoverClub forum.

gaz
2-Jun-11, 06:23 AM
Just a reminder this event is just 24 hours away and its FREE. if you have nothing on this weekend and feel the need to relax an enjoy yourself then their is no better place to do it. As a bonus the weather is looking pretty good,
come and join us talking hover, getting pi....... i mean drinking responsably! watch Hot Air Ballons gracefully take to the skys and if you have never seen a Night glow you wont be dissapointed when you do.
Its all free (ok you need to buy your own booze) just pack the tent/camper hook up a hovercraft (It dosen't need to work) and turn up before 8am on saturday

see you there

daly5546
2-Jun-11, 11:29 AM
Amazing photos show great detail.
The pilot at low level
had no control over his
aircraft. It narrowly
misses a crowd
gathered for the air show and slams
into four buildings. One can only imagine the
horror of the occupants inside those buildings.

http://uk.mg40.mail.yahoo.com/ya/download?mid=1%5f103846%5fANUKDNkAAOmNTedGOQVBPHEV m0g&pid=2.2&fid=Inbox&inline=1
Probably scared the sxxt out of them.

Brian G. Reynolds
2-Jun-11, 11:54 AM
????????????

B.

daly5546
2-Jun-11, 09:02 PM
We want to put up a gazebo to show the live racing from Prudhomat that Keith will be beaming across the world.

Gaz is supplying the generator, Zoe and Andy the cinema (gazebo) and Jo the projector. Please can some one make sure we have a laptop and dongle.

See you there!

Chris

gaz
3-Jun-11, 05:38 AM
laptop and dongle sorted :)

daly5546
3-Jun-11, 06:22 AM
See you in about 8 hours.

Chris

gaz
3-Jun-11, 07:12 AM
yep, car loaded and ready to go.

for those going and dont know where it is here are last years directions as posted by Jon pert (http://www.hovercraft.org.uk/showthread.php?23594-Evesham-Balloon-Festival-access-information) if you need to contact me I will be at the other end of 07773 775593

please dont use the contact details in the linked post, both Jon and Bryan are busy elswhere.

Al
3-Jun-11, 08:04 AM
please dont use the contact details in the linked post, both Jon and Bryan are busy elswhere.

Yep Bryan is busy at Loch Fyne trying out a Sevtec Chair:D

daly5546
5-Jun-11, 07:10 PM
Fantastic Weekend!

Entertained loads of interested people.

Had excellent company.

Had plenty of liquid refreshment. I was told it was too much!!

Brian's red craft proved slightly large for tight manouvres but he can talk for a long time!!!!

Saw Prudhomat live in the gazebo.

Angus is an excellent Giffo seller!

Gaz really is tall and you dont need an interpreter for all Cornish people.

Brian (L) proved that the F3 is still live.

Subaru powered UH Craft backfire a lot!

Kevin likes his BBV F35 especially with bolts in place.

Andy was in demand for groups.

Zoe, Sue, Catherine and Carla manned the Gazebo/Cinema and info desk.

Alex was one of only 10 people who got off the ground in a balloon. It was too windy.

Overall, yes I would love to go again next year!

Thanks for a great weekend.

Chris

catherine
5-Jun-11, 07:27 PM
Fantastic Weekend!

Entertained loads of interested people.

Had excellent company.

Had plenty of liquid refreshment. I was told it was too much!!

Brian's red craft proved slightly large for tight manouvres but he can talk for a long time!!!!

Saw Prudhomat live in the gazebo.

Angus is an excellent Giffo seller!

Gaz really is tall and you dont need an interpreter for all Cornish people.

Brian (L) proved that the F3 is still live.

Subaru powered UH Craft backfire a lot!

Kevin likes his BBV F35 especially with bolts in place.

Andy was in demand for groups.

Zoe, Sue, Catherine and Carla manned the Gazebo/Cinema and info desk.

Alex was one of only 10 people who got off the ground in a balloon. It was too windy.

Overall, yes I would love to go again next year!

Thanks for a great weekend.

Chris

I agree with all of the above.

p.s. haven't mentioned the car incident to Dad just yet...

Catherine

gaz
5-Jun-11, 08:04 PM
Sue and I have just put the hover away and collapsed on the sofa, not sure if I can muster the strength to open the wine... but then again...
Those who couldn't make it missed out on another fantastic event, get it in your diarys now, same weekend next year (friday, saturday, sunday) following the late may bank holiday.

thanks to all those who turned up and made it such a good event

Brian G. Reynolds
5-Jun-11, 08:09 PM
I have to admit I was not going to go, but at the last minute I decided to attend...

And boy was I glad I did! What a fantastic bunch! I am sure I am right in saying we were the highlight of the show!

The rides were never ending and the people asking me how they work (year, like I know..) was never ending!

The area we had was a little tight but perfectly situated.

I had a great time, especially when I was trying to convince a handicapped lady have a ride, until she pointed out that she would love to have a ride but could not get into the craft due to leg trouble, but she said she would try to get into my craft as it has steps built in! So after her husband and myself got her into my craft and sorted the craft balance out and seated her teenage daughter in the rear seat we went for a few laps of the "track".

When we managed to get the lady back out of the craft she gave me a big hug and a kiss! It does not get much better than that!

I had recorded the "trip" on my craft mounted camera and will publish it onto YouTube for the lady to view having already asked her permission, then if she wants it deleted I will of course oblige.

I must also say a big thank you to Sue for feeding me the weekend! Fantastic.

I really do think this sort of event is a fantastic way to "sell" our sport to others and to just have a good chill time with great people!

Will I be there next year? You bet.... if I get my voice back!

B.

Jon Pert
5-Jun-11, 08:14 PM
2 successful years then!! Shame you had no balloons, the night glow is awesome.

Hopefully next year me and Bryan will be around to enjoy with you.

carlathomas
5-Jun-11, 08:42 PM
Ditto all of the comments above.

We had a brilliant time. Loved every minute.
It was a shame that the balloons couldn't fly but we were definitely the main attraction for many people. A quote from a festival goer "Wow, you're doing something, that's great."

Monkey-Man Angus sure can shift those simians!

Will definitely go again next year.

PS: Gaz, don't forget to let us know when you and Sue have your new grandson. Wishing you all the best.

Brian G. Reynolds
5-Jun-11, 09:43 PM
Just looked at my GPS and it says I flew 4 miles around the "track"!!!!

Wonder what distance the craft did which were giving rides?

Maybe next year we should measure it!

B.

daly5546
6-Jun-11, 05:32 AM
Just looked at my GPS and it says I flew 4 miles around the "track"!!!!

Wonder what distance the craft did which were giving rides?

Maybe next year we should measure it!

B.

Does your GPS show contacts as well?

Brian G. Reynolds
6-Jun-11, 07:31 AM
I knew it would not be long.... and it had to be Chris!!!!

The car jumped back officer... Honest!!! Oh and the tend was already ripped.....

Be nice to me, my throat hurts!

On the (almost) serious side, much of the talk was explaining how they work, what we need is a cutaway display showing the air route and what part the skirt has in getting us up and away. Then I can stand there like a school mistress with a pointy stick and point to the items as I explain.... I can also use said stick to hit Chris with every time he blasts me with his thrust!

My display board I made for Jakes place went down well and it would be great to have a number of other boards displaying other aspects of the club, i.e. building, racing, re-building, cruising, re-re-building, models, (do they crash?) social events (bearing in mind there are children looking!)

Food for thought.

B.

datkins
6-Jun-11, 10:00 PM
not sure about dressing as a school mistrress and being hit by chris's thrust blast, might put them off.... :)

Brian G. Reynolds
6-Jun-11, 10:07 PM
No spirit of adventure you young lads!

B.

gaz
7-Jun-11, 06:15 AM
not sure about dressing as a school mistrress

it works for Brian, but hey what he does in Sheffield is up to him http://www.jonrb.com/emoticons/p041.gif

catherine
7-Jun-11, 09:59 PM
The car jumped back officer... Honest!!!

B.

really????? lol :)

Catherine

Brian G. Reynolds
7-Jun-11, 10:07 PM
really????? lol :)

Catherine

Ok Catherine,how much to not tell anyone????

I could always say you did not apply the handbrake and it rolled back.... uphill....oh bugger!

B.

Brian G. Reynolds
7-Jun-11, 10:10 PM
Meant to say, I have uploaded the video I took around the track when I had the handicapped lady in the craft with me.

Here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Is5CmdRtiP4)...

Nothing special but does show the extensive track we used.....

B.

gaz
8-Jun-11, 07:14 AM
Being stood next to your craft prior to your circuits I can tell you that the camera was shaking like crazy. The Ali bar you have it fixed to amplifies the vibration of the duct, it could be you unwittingly managed to find the resonant length for the bar. Is there a way to fix the open end of the bar tothe duct and damp down the wobble?

daly5546
8-Jun-11, 07:21 AM
Is there a way to fix the open end of the bar tothe duct and damp down the wobble?[/QUOTE]

Was this a reference to Brian's body after Friday night????

Chris

gaz
8-Jun-11, 07:24 AM
he was the ONLY one of us SOBER!! http://www.jonrb.com/emoticons/drink2.gif

Brian G. Reynolds
8-Jun-11, 12:09 PM
Cruel Chris, cruel! If I was more of a man I would sort you out!!!

You are right Gaz, but when the revs build up the resonance goes. This did not happen with the previous tape cam-corder though.

I think Ross and Francis have the same problem, maybe partly due to the optics?

I think some experimenting is in order though.

Cheers chaps.

B.

Brian G. Reynolds
9-Jun-11, 02:28 PM
I short writeup of the event....

Evesham Journal (http://www.eveshamjournal.co.uk/news/local/evesham/9072592.Festival_goers_aren___t_deflated/?ref=mr)

B.